Pelican case foam

Psyk00diver

Does anyone out there have any tips on how to custom cut the foam out of a Pelican case to fit my weapon? Or am I better off sending it off to be die cut? Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Check the surface of the foam. If it has "grid lines" that make about half inch squares...then you're in luck and it's "pluckable foam" - you just shove fingers into it and pluck out a rough outline of your firearm and shove it down in.

Note: It's best to see if the "grid" will come out, and how much foam is under it. Then you can decide whether to pluck through to the solid foam underneath...or pluck only partway.

If you screw it up...you can always order another foam grid from Pelican.

Hope this helps!

I've never done this but a friend of mine traced the outline of his gun roughly onto cardboard then used a hot knife from harbor freight to cut the foam to the rough outline of the gun. Worked well for him and looks clean.

Pluck and pull is simple. For cutting solid foam use an xacto knife from michaels. Arrange your items in the case, close it for a day or two. When you open it the outline should be there. Cut to desired depth. Another method is to heat it and press the items into the foam. Be careful not to melt it though. A hair dryer or heat gun can be used. I recommend sending it off if you aren't comfortable with diy. Another option is a dremel with router attachment but melting may be an issue.

look at this site, a ways down he shows pictures of his hot wire foam cutter he made for little cash

Link Removed

Thanks everyone for your input. Phillip, wish I had the option of pluck and pull, but this size case didn't have that option. ti02, never thought to use a dremel! I guess I need to see how much replacemnet foam would cost before I mess my foam up too bad....lol Again thank you everyone you all gave me good ideas.

My one piece of advice for cutting solid foam - cut the hole smaller rather than bigger. It will hold your firearm more securely that way.

Thanks again Phillip. I was thinking the same thing, also asked a buddy about it this morning and he told me to flip the foam over and mark the back side of the foam. so you can cut inside the lines and then hide the marks on the backside. i thought it was a good idea. he also said he used a electric knife to cut the foam. I still don't know which way I'm gunna go, but I found out that to get replacment foam it between $50 and $ 80 bucks if I mess it up.

Do you really need to cut the foam? I often transport a variety of firearms using the same case depending on the kind of training or work I'm doing. Rather than cutting the foam, I simply place the firearm(s) in the case and close the lid. The foam will compress where needed and form around the firearms during transport.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back