PC Experts- Firefox/passwords

benjammin

Does anybody know how to force Firefox and/or IE 8 to store user names and passwords? There are a couple sites for work that log me off every 20 minutes. Both browsers used to work ok, but I think the sites were changed last weekend; now it stores the password but not the username. I did some searching, but changing the code for each browser (the suggested fix) is beyond my ability. Thanks for any ideas.

Does anybody know how to force Firefox and/or IE 8 to store user names and passwords? There are a couple sites for work that log me off every 20 minutes. Both browsers used to work ok, but I think the sites were changed last weekend; now it stores the password but not the username. I did some searching, but changing the code for each browser (the suggested fix) is beyond my ability. Thanks for any ideas.

May be an issue with the cookies. Delete them and try again. You haven't changed anything on your end?

Did you try going to Tools/ Options/ Security and select "Remember Passwords" and, if you want, "Use A Master Password"? Also check and see if you're erasing your history as this will remove cookies that may retain what you're looking for. You may also want to download and run MalwareByte's Anti Malware just to make sure you didn't pick something up.

Last edited:
May be an issue with the cookies. Delete them and try again. You haven't changed anything on your end?

I will try the cookies.
No, I changed nothing. This is on a computer at work, as far as I know no-one touches it over the weekend.

Did you try going to Tools/ Options/ Security and select "Remember Passwords" and, if you want, "Use A Master Password"? Also check and see if you're erasing your history as this will remove cookies that may retain what you're looking for. You may also want to download and run MalwareByte's Anti Malware just to make sure you didn't pick something up.

I'm set to remember passwords on both, but do have them set to not retain history, so that may be the issue. I should be ok as far as viruses etc., since it's a computer at work I'm fairly careful what sites I visit, and I don't want to run any anti-malware stuff since it's a network pc and we have protection at the big noisy box in the office.

I had that problem with my work forums. The mod they updated to just wasn't firefox friendly. They did yet another update and the problem is gone. Just use a different browser when you log in.

I had that problem with my work forums. The mod they updated to just wasn't firefox friendly. They did yet another update and the problem is gone. Just use a different browser when you log in.

I didn't get the chance to make any more changes, but everything started working here early this week with both browsers. Thanks again

This is most likely by design. When a website has it's form input fields (username, password, etc.) configured with the autocomplete="off" option, the browser correctly handles this by not offering to store that information. This is done for security reasons, and is very common on banking sites, corporate sites, etc. If your browser remembered it previously but then stopped, most likely the site changed to disable autocomplete.

It's still possible, in most cases, to force the issue, although the method varies by browser. Though somewhat dated, this article may still be of use for Firefox: Force Firefox To Remember Password Of Sites Like Paypal. I can't confirm the method still works, as I'm not a Firefox user.

Good luck!

Install Last Pass it's free and will take the matter of passwords out of the hands of firefox.

I couldn't agree more with this! I LOVE LASTPASS. Plus it works for any browser - and it will grab any form, so problems with sites not saving passwords are gone :)

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back