PA Non-resident permits

If you look at the entire agreement, the enumerated paragraphs define the agreement between NH and PA. Enumerated paragraph 1, states that permit holders from NH (with no regards to their citizenship) are considered valid while carrying in PA as long as their permits are valid. You're good to go. Also, check out the reciprocity maps here on this site. They concur with this interpretation of the reading as well.

The paragraph that mentions citizenship explains why the two states entered into a reciprocal agreement in the first place, to extend reciprocity between the citizens of both states... great, but what is covered in the agreement is within the enumerated paragraphs. When states put limitations to only citizens from the state the permit is issued, they will make it very clear in the verbiage of the agreement

Yeah, honestly, I read it the way you do and I think a plain-language reading of the agreement supports that interpretation. I am, however, seeing various things floating around The Internet stating that PA is no longer recognizing nonresident NH carry permits, due to unilateral action by their antigun attorney general Kathleen Kane, similar to what Virginia attempted to do earlier this year. It does appear that PA is no longer recognizing NR Virginia, Utah, and Florida permits.

Okay, this gets better. This user over at northeastshooters.com says he got a response letter from the PA Attorney General's office back in December 2015 stating that *any* nonresident permit from *any* state is invalid:
https://www.northeastshooters.com/v...dent-license?p=4792693&viewfull=1#post4792693

And, if I can believe that thread, state and local police in PA are at least acting like nonresident NH permits are not valid. So even if you could point to that reciprocity agreement as a defense and be successful, you still have the hassle of being arrested on a criminal charge related to unlicensed carry.

1. An attorney general's opinion is just ... an opinion. It is not law.
2. Pennsylvania statute is very clear on this:
Title 18 - PA General Assembly

§ 6106. Firearms not to be carried without a license.
(15) Any person who possesses a valid and lawfully
issued license or permit to carry a firearm which has been
issued under the laws of another state, regardless of whether
a reciprocity agreement exists between the Commonwealth and
the state under section 6109(k), provided:
(i) The state provides a reciprocal privilege for
individuals licensed to carry firearms under section
(ii) The Attorney General has determined that the
firearm laws of the state are similar to the firearm laws
of this Commonwealth.

So, I am a resident of Washington. Washington does not honor PA permit and my license is not honored in Pennsylvania. However, I could get an Indiana non-resident Concealed Handgun Permit. So let's say that I do hold a non-resident Indiana permit. I meet all the requirements above in Title 18 Section 6106 (15)(b). The Attorney General website even says my Indiana permit is good in PA:
https://www.attorneygeneral.gov/Media_and_Resources/Firearm_Reciprocity_Agreements/

Category 2: States that have statutory reciprocity under 6106(b)(15) of the Uniform Firearms Act.
Indiana

I would be any person, I would have a License to Carry a Handgun valid and issued under the laws of the state of Indiana, Indiana honors the PA license, and Indiana is on the Attorney General's list of "approved states". I don't see how they could possibly require me to be an Indiana resident under the actual law.

Actually an AG's opinion carries quite a lot of weight. She is saying, essentially, "This is how we read the law and how it'll be enforced." Sure, if you were arrested and charged with something related to unlawful carry, you might manage to get out of it with a good lawyer who could convince a sympathetic jury of the appropriate law, but who needs that level of hassle?

Actually an AG's opinion carries quite a lot of weight. She is saying, essentially, "This is how we read the law and how it'll be enforced." Sure, if you were arrested and charged with something related to unlawful carry, you might manage to get out of it with a good lawyer who could convince a sympathetic jury of the appropriate law, but who needs that level of hassle?

Or we live our lives under the tyranny of lawyers in political positions opinions twisted towards their political beliefs and personal agendas.

But, then again, we have most of the big court decisions protecting our rights (especially 4th and 5th amendment rights) due to criminals who have actually committed crimes doing everything they can to beat their rap. Law abiding citizens are more likely just to live under the oppressive thumb of the government rather than do something about it. And that tendency predates the formation of the USA, "all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed."

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back