+P for .38 special, I don't get it

Cotillion

I'm hoping someone can help me understand why people would want to use +P for .38 special. If I'm not mistaken wasn't the downfall of this round over penetration? I've been out to the range quite a lot this past week thanks to Christmas gift cards for ammo, and I tried a variety of rounds from hornady 110 grain to remington and American eagle 130 and 158. For a self defense round I chose the hornady critical 110 grain as it seems to be the best punch+expansion without over penatrating but everyone seems to be gaga over +P. What am I missing?

Cottillion--- I am certainly no ballistics expert. I will say that the .38 +P round is a little bit hotter than a normal .38 round. I realize I am overstating the obvious. :) It all depends on WHERE the round hits initially and how close the the subject you are which will determine IF the round will penetrate the target. I would say that if you hit center mass then you probably do not have to worry about a .38 round of any type going all theway through. There are several self defense rounds available that focuses on spending all of the energy on the target on impact and reduces the chances of penetration. I have some of them for my Mossburg tactical shotgun in my bedroom.

The .38 +P was designed several years ago as a law enforcement round to enhance the performance of the .38 Special. Before you use this round in anything smaller that a S&W L-Frame,check with the pistol manufacturer to see if the pressures created during discharge are safe for YOUR weapon. A good gunsmith could also help you with that. The last thing you want is to fire off a round and have the backstrap of your piece heading for your face. That would ruin your day as well as the BG's. ;>**

My LCR is rated for it. I only have 5 shots- They need to drive deep. With modern hollow point technology they shouldnt go thru and thru with much considerable energy left over anyway. Plus you should always be concious of your backstop.

Not all ammunition is equal. Bullet design and cartridge performance has come a long way in the last decade.

38 +P is simply to try and squeeze a little more power out of a. 38. My gun isn't rated for it. As to over penetration, .38 + P =/= .357 mag, which is simply an super hot .38. with a longer case so it can't be loaded in a. 38 spl. chambered gun. Many people carry .357's. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

All of my vintage s&w revolvers cannot handle +p so I havn't had the chance to try any out. I do shoot the federal low recoil .38 special HP in my snubby, which is the exact opposite of +p. LOL

The hope is to deliver a bit more kinetic energy with the right defense load.

I'm actually a fan of Remington 125gr +P SJHP for carry loads. For target I couldn't give a chit...

I'd be willing to carry 158gr LRN to be honest with you... Magtech makes a good round there, dirty though.

If I shoot you, it's gonna hurt really bad... if I shoot you in the chest or face, you won't be alive too long to suffer the extreme pain, lol.

Keep in mind the origin of the 38 Special. At the turn of the 20th century, the 38 SP was the most powerful revolver cartridge in that caliber available. The case capacity could allow considerably more powder(power) but the strength of the revolvers in production limited the safe pressures. Skip forward to 1980 and the revolvers are much stronger while the 38SP is weaker than an anorexic ant. The modern revolvers are capable of handling much higher pressures so ammo makers bump up the factory load pressures and denote them +P to help prevent the higher pressure rounds from being used in noncompatible(older or weaker) guns.
The higher velocity will help expansion of lightweight HP bullets and very soft lead bullets.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back