Out of shape and want to start running again, but what holster?

gundaddypv

I'll be carrying a small .22mag derringer on my runs. However, I want to be able to actually run, not run with one hand and hold my flopping gun with the other. I chose my derringer because it's stainless so I don't have to worry about my sweat rusting it out.

I've considered belly-bands and even the new under-arm holster I've been seeing in magazines. Are there better options that anyone knows of?

Just a thought... if you weighed a ankle holster and your concealed weapon, you could probably wear sweats over it and use a matching running weight on the other ankle. I've never tried it, but thought I'd toss the idea out in case it was helpful.

Before commenting on your question, let me explain how I run with a firearm. I am running at least one 5k per week in the Tennessee heat, but usually one 5k one 8k. The gun I am carrying while running is a Taurus TCP with an extended magazine (7+1 rounds of 380 ACP). I am using a Link Removed for $14. I removed the retention strap from the holster. Also, this holster has belt/clip loops on both sides. I removed those on the side that I am not using as it is scratching my skin. I am using the metal clip that comes with the holster and I am carrying it at 4-o'clock IWB, i.e., in the same position I am normally carrying my Glock. My running shorts provide enough tension with the drawcord to permit simple IWB carry. The gun is not moving at all while running.

You can carry your .22Mag Derringer the same way, 4-o'clock IWB or even appendix carry. You can also use a fanny pack, but that one may flop around. Having said that, a Derringer or NAA Mini Revolver is definitely not my thing. Look at this thread (posts #2 and #19) for why: http://www.usacarry.com/forums/general-firearm-discussion/45581-22-magnum-vs-380-tcp-self-defense.html

I have a friend in Seattle who told me he carries a S&W snubnose revolver in a CCW fanny pack so i googled to learn a bit about them and finally ordered one through walmart's to try it out. I just got it today.
My friend says the abdominal belts are very hot to wear. If you go this route, google 'concealed carry fanny pack' - they're made for carrying guns and just pretend to be fanny packs lol. Here's a fairly nice one:

Concealed Carry Fanny Pack Pistol Pouch | Official 5.11 Site

The one i ordered from walmarts is about the same but $12 cheaper and you don't need to pay shipping if you have it sent site to store where you go and pick it up:

Ka-Bar TDI Law Enforcement Fanny Pack: Outdoor Sports : Walmart.com

You can google the brand names and find some youtube video reviews on them. And there are some others out there - Unkle Mikes is one someone else in the forums mentioned

FYI: I am also carrying a small can of OC spray and a small flashlight (Link Removed), both clipped to the waistband. I am further carrying my cell phone and Handgun Carry Permit in the back pocket of my running shorts.

I'll be carrying a small .22mag derringer on my runs. However, I want to be able to actually run, not run with one hand and hold my flopping gun with the other. I chose my derringer because it's stainless so I don't have to worry about my sweat rusting it out.

I've considered belly-bands and even the new under-arm holster I've been seeing in magazines. Are there better options that anyone knows of?

Just another thought you might want to consider biking especially if you are overweight because it won't beat your feet up as bad.

I carry an LCP in my T-shirt pocket.

Make sure you wipe it down after

+1 for biking. A pack doesn't look as awkward on a bicyclist as it does on a runner. If you haven't ran for a while, biking will be much better for your hips, knees, shins, and feet. It sucks when you want to get back into shape but hurt to much to work out more than a week.

Sent from my HTCONE using USA Carry mobile app

I have a friend in Seattle who told me he carries a S&W snubnose revolver in a CCW fanny pack so i googled to learn a bit about them and finally ordered one through walmart's to try it out. I just got it today.
My friend says the abdominal belts are very hot to wear. If you go this route, google 'concealed carry fanny pack' - they're made for carrying guns and just pretend to be fanny packs lol. Here's a fairly nice one:

Concealed Carry Fanny Pack Pistol Pouch | Official 5.11 Site

The one i ordered from walmarts is about the same but $12 cheaper and you don't need to pay shipping if you have it sent site to store where you go and pick it up:

Ka-Bar TDI Law Enforcement Fanny Pack: Outdoor Sports : Walmart.com

You can google the brand names and find some youtube video reviews on them. And there are some others out there - Unkle Mikes is one someone else in the forums mentioned
You're only allowed to wear a fanny pack if you drive a minivan, wear white socks with the red stripe at the top and white reeboks that are at least 5 years old and worn the hell out.

This is how I do it. Obviously it's inside shorts. I like it sits over your man parts ( or woman's I suspect ) and is very comfortable. I have a kahr cm9 , Olight and sabre Mean green 2 ounce OC. As well. I cycle 15-30 miles a day, go to the gym and rum on the treadmill on rainy days. Never had an issue. Quick to deploy as well this one is a clone of the smart carry holster I got off Amazon

9e3atute.jpg

Get a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live. --Mark Twain

Howdy,

After having knee replacement I no longer run but when I did I carried a stainless steel AMT .380 Backup in a modified Uncle Mike's holster. I always wore a "wife beater" A-shirt and hold belt the gun and holster into place, wear gym shorts and either a t-shirt or tanktop. Cold weather I would wear sweat pants and shirt.

I carried is combo for over 20 years and all the rubbing in the holster has polished up the little AMT.

1405121138_zpsc7d2b936.jpg

1405121271_zpsf4fe8277.jpg

Paul

You're only allowed to wear a fanny pack if you drive a minivan, wear white socks with the red stripe at the top and white reeboks that are at least 5 years old and worn the hell out.

I checked with my fanny pack friend. He tells me the ones that carry guns are now called 'Bro Bags' . And besides, I do wear white socks with the red stripe with 7 year old reeboks... just need to buy a van now : )

I checked with my fanny pack friend. He tells me the ones that carry guns are now called 'Bro Bags' . And besides, I dowear white socks with the red stripe with 7 yeara old reeboks... just need to buy a van now : )

2 out of 3 ain't bad ;)

But seriously, I do have one of the one-shoulder bags from 5.11 and I like it. But a fanny pack I just don't think I could do no matter what you wanna call it lol

Last edited:
Look at Pistolwear. The Trump Card is really versatile.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using USA Carry mobile app

Run? Have any of you ever seen a happy runner? I know of at least three people I used to work with died while running. I walk.

Run? Have any of you ever seen a happy runner? I know of at least three people I used to work with died while running. I walk.

How did they die?

I have lost two coworkers over that past ten years due to complications resulting from being overweight and the lack of physical fitness. One of them just died this year, having his 4th heart attack. I also have a coworker that is 32, overweight, and just got a hip replacement.

The purpose of running, cycling, or any similar exercise is to keep your heart rate up for a decent amount of time for cardiovascular training (training meant to improve the heart and lungs). There are many other reasons why people choose to run. For me, running keeps me fit, provides me with a challenge, and gives me time for self reflection.

Walking is a valuable exercise as well, but it does not provide cardiovascular training unless you speed walk or walk up stairs. I prefer hiking instead. Always armed of course. I regularly hike in State and National Parks. The last hike I did was Stone Mountain on my recent visit to Atlanta.

My goal next year is to do a triathlon and I will be 59. I can run ( not fast as I have a rod in my ankle) and so I mostly cycle 15-25 miles a day and go to they gym as well 5 days a week. Call it a lifestyle, hobby or whatever but I enjoy it. Sure some will die doing exercise... However they may well have died anyhow from the multitude of illnesses caused by lack of fitness including heart disease, diabetes, sleep apnea, strokes etc.

When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. --H.G. Wells

I just picked up a cheap $12 belly band from amazon for my Glock 23 and I must say it works great. Should work for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back