Open Carry

charliej47

I live in Middletown, Ohio and I OC about half the time.

I have had numerous encounters with LEOs while carrying from getting gas to buying coffee. I have encountered them in gun shops and we have talked about different aspects of carrying and the type of weapons we each like.

I have been fortunate in that all of my encounters have been positive.

I can not say that all of my encounters have been positive or that all LEOs I have encountered were polite and respectful. I will say that I have managed to not be arrested.

i hope we can get open carry here if they can just come up with regulations that doesn't screw up carry conceal...

I'm still debating open carry myself. I'm all for it, in theory.
If people see more good guys carrying guns, then they'll realize they're not completely at the mercy of the wolves out there. There will be a bit of shock of course, but the more often they see good guys with guns the better off we'll all be.

Encounters

I will clarify. In more than 50 years of having LEO encounters, some have not been nice but I have managed to keep from being arrested so far. :pleasantry:

I rarely run into LOEs when out and about. I usually avoid places where I see LEOs parked or gathered. I try to bring as little attention to my OC pistol as possible. As such, I don't have many encounters either positive or negative.

OC'ing

I OC because of weather and do not try to avoid the police as I have nothing to hide. I have been OC'ing since March of this year when I got my CCW.:pleasantry:

During this time in Middletown, Franklin, Carlisle, Miamisburg, Dayton, West Carrollton and Springboro I have encountered the police about 30 times. I have yet to be stopped or questioned.:yu:

I don't act as if I have something to hide. If eye contact is made I will nod and go on about my business. I have noticed the police giving me the once over just as I give them the once over.:biggrin:

I try to follow the creed about being polite and have a plan for any contingency.:yes2:

I have not carried in the Cincinnati area as I don't go down there. :no:

I don't worry about a BG seeing me OC'ing. I try to be aware of what is going on around me and try to keep my back from being exposed. :biggrin:

I OC half of the time I'm not working (fugitive recovery agent) and I've never had a negative experience (in Indianapolis, IN). In my experience, as long as you look like you're supposed to be doing whatever it is that you're doing, very few people will even acknowledge it.

I have to amend this post.

A few weeks ago, I was OC in Steak n' Shake. A local sheriff, not in uniform, was sitting down eating close to the door and motioned with a head nod that he'd like to speak with me. I figured "what the hell" and walked the few feet to where he was sitting. He identified himself to me with his badge and began asking me what department I was with. I explained to him that I was a private citizen with a handgun license (required in Indiana to carry a handgun regardless of OC or CC) and that I was basically exercising my right to OC. He never asked to see the license, although I offered and proceeded to chastise me for being a danger to the public...I think he called me a menace. I maintained my calm, even though at one point he even threatened to confiscate my forearm, which would have been illegal but we know how that goes. Long story short, this ignorant sheriff (I say ignorant because he obviously wasn't all that familiar with Indiana gun laws) huffed and puffed, making a scene in SnS, but never did anything. It was bad enough that two of the SnS employees and the manager came over to me to ask what was going on, which I explained to them. They thought he was being a jackhole and didn't care about the Glock on my hip.

That's, by far, the most negative OC experience I've ever had...most are positive though

I have oc'd here in idaho and utah for the last year and a half never had one problem. I get looks sometimes but people are used to it here.

Update on my OC'ing. Last year I was going into Wal-Mart and I got stopped by an employee because the employee did not know the store policy. The manager came over and apologized and I went on. I have been in the store about 25 times OC'ing.

I have to amend this post.

A few weeks ago, I was OC in Steak n' Shake. A local sheriff, not in uniform, was sitting down eating close to the door and motioned with a head nod that he'd like to speak with me. I figured "what the hell" and walked the few feet to where he was sitting. He identified himself to me with his badge and began asking me what department I was with. I explained to him that I was a private citizen with a handgun license (required in Indiana to carry a handgun regardless of OC or CC) and that I was basically exercising my right to OC. He never asked to see the license, although I offered and proceeded to chastise me for being a danger to the public...I think he called me a menace. I maintained my calm, even though at one point he even threatened to confiscate my forearm, which would have been illegal but we know how that goes. Long story short, this ignorant sheriff (I say ignorant because he obviously wasn't all that familiar with Indiana gun laws) huffed and puffed, making a scene in SnS, but never did anything. It was bad enough that two of the SnS employees and the manager came over to me to ask what was going on, which I explained to them. They thought he was being a jackhole and didn't care about the Glock on my hip.

That's, by far, the most negative OC experience I've ever had...most are positive though
Ddaannnggg!!! Sorry to read about this happening to you. If the Sherriff is this anti-OC then I guess you need to work on getting someone else elected in his place. Imagine what he is telling his Deputies with regards to OC. The Sherriff is a very powerful LEO in most places and short of loosing an election they fear very little. Good luck.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back