open carry

Russ007

Is there open carry in pa and ohio

If your thinking about open carry you really might think twice about it and put in for a CCW permit because if you open carry you've put a big sign on you head saying "IF your going to hold up this place, shoot me first" Your telling that person who might be a deterant to his hold up. Although open carry is allowed it could be a really costly mistake if things go south really fast. Don't let ANYONE know your carring and you'll be better of in the long run.

If your thinking about open carry you really might think twice about it and put in for a CCW permit because if you open carry you've put a big sign on you head saying "IF your going to hold up this place, shoot me first" Your telling that person who might be a deterant to his hold up. Although open carry is allowed it could be a really costly mistake if things go south really fast. Don't let ANYONE know your carring and you'll be better of in the long run.

This is all fine and dandy if your the only one open carrying. We need more people open carrying and this will be less of an issue. If there are several people in the area that are open carrying then there will be a much less chance of the criminal element that would see it as advantageous to try anything.

Kinda like going into a police station and trying to rob them. :smile:

Of course there pro and con to the "open carry" option. I do not agree with YOUR reason for not open carrying. I think most untrained Bad Guys are not going to count on their marksmanship and take a shot at you as a prelude to their robbery scheme. Taken that idea to the extreme if they found a cop or two in a place they wanted to rob they would just open fire on them instead of moving on to another place to rob.
Having said that I am more of a "don't ask don't tell" guy.
Now onto the first question of the OP. Open carry is legal. in Pa. If you decide to open carry it would still be advisable you get a carry permit because once you sit inside your vehicle that weapon is considered concealed. Your options would then be, walk everywhere, take your gun off and remove the mag and empty the mag or break the law and risk the consequences. The carry permit eliminates these problems whether you open carry or not.

I don't think a bad guy going into a gas station or giant eagle going to shoot someone for some cash they wouldn't notice your weapon . I live in Cleveland Ohio and I open carry and not often do people notice my gun a few here and there

This is all fine and dandy if your the only one open carrying. We need more people open carrying and this will be less of an issue. If there are several people in the area that are open carrying then there will be a much less chance of the criminal element that would see it as advantageous to try anything.

Kinda like going into a police station and trying to rob them. :smile:

Be less of an issue? There is no issue now, so how could something be less of nothing?

Mmckee is pushing a fear mongering agenda, normal for a large portion of concealed carriers, we don't just need more open carriers, we need less concealed carriers who refer to Brady campaign strategies.

Of course there pro and con to the "open carry" option. I do not agree with YOUR reason for not open carrying. I think most untrained Bad Guys are not going to count on their marksmanship and take a shot at you as a prelude to their robbery scheme. Taken that idea to the extreme if they found a cop or two in a place they wanted to rob they would just open fire on them instead of moving on to another place to rob.
Having said that I am more of a "don't ask don't tell" guy.
Now onto the first question of the OP. Open carry is legal. in Pa. If you decide to open carry it would still be advisable you get a carry permit because once you sit inside your vehicle that weapon is considered concealed. Your options would then be, walk everywhere, take your gun off and remove the mag and empty the mag or break the law and risk the consequences. The carry permit eliminates these problems whether you open carry or not.

Referring to the part I bolded, if a person wishes to carry in a vehicle, loaded or unloaded, concealed or open, a LTCF or similar is required, because you are now transporting. Not because it is now "considered concealed". This is a myth, and appears nowhere in the PA Uniform Firearms Act, or anywhere else... except forum posts.

Show me the facts. Provide cites to actual incidents where the open carrier was "shot first".

Bear in mind that open carry has been practiced by many people just in one State, Arizona, for decades... yes decades! representing thousands of open carry hours by a multitude of people in a plethora of places........ so it should be super easy for you to find a whole bunch of actual incidents with just a simple 'net search. And, if what you are stating is an actual fact worthy of even mentioning, it should be easy to find ..... HUNDREDS! .... of for real researchable incidents just in media accounts alone since if open carriers were being "shot first" it would be all over the news...

But it isn't all over the news now is it?

I challenge you, and everyone else who has the "Yer gonna get shot first!!!" mentality to....

PROVE IT.

At least prove it to yourself before spouting it as a fact to others.

Don't let ANYONE know your carring and you'll be better of in the long run.

Wow. You have quite the crystal ball there, predicting everyone's future. Why would a criminal choose a target that they KNOW has the capability to kill them, because they can see that capability hanging on their belt, when they can wait 2 minutes for the guy with the gun to leave, or go down the street one block and choose a target that is not showing the capability to kill them? 99.5% of the population of this country do not visibly show the means to kill a criminal in the commission of their crime, why is it such a popular belief that so many criminals out there are anxious to turn a simple robbery into an attempted murder charge when there is such a large percentage of targets available not visibly armed?

So, mmckee1952, you have probably been alive for 60 years? In your 60 years of life experience, can you show us one instance where Joe Citizen openly carrying a firearm was shot first in a robbery in real life?

It is legal to open carry in OH. However depending on what cities you're in, you'll get different reactions from LEOs. Believe it or not, not all LEOs know that it is perfectly legal to open carry and that you do NOT need a CCW license to be able to open carry! True story!!

I would love to open carry and have several holsters to open carry BUT I do not for one, not quite comfortable OCing in public and having to deal with possible harassment from people and LEO.

This is what I call a "drive by posting".

@ mmckee1952 , you come here high-jack with your rumor and your gone. Will you be open minded and read any of these replies?

Oh I've open carried in and around Kalamazoo Michigan for 3 years and have been shot 36 times :rolleyes:

@ mmckee1952 , you come here high-jack with your rumor and your gone. Will you be open minded and read any of these replies?

Oh I've open carried in and around Kalamazoo Michigan for 3 years and have been shot 36 times :rolleyes:

Golden Eagle
Yes I'vd read all of the posts and I don't know WTF your talking about "high-jacking this post", I'm giving my opinion and if you really look into it, almost all firearm instructors DON'T recomend open carry for the same rasons I stated in my post and thats not a RUMOR it's a fact, also I do have a CCW just because I can. Google "reasons not to open carry" and I think it just might open your slightly closed eyes.

Welcome Russ007, I hope this mess didn't scare you away.

@ mmckee1952 6 people besides myself have disagreed with you here but you singled me out ...OK.

Golden Eagle
Yes I'vd read all of the posts and I don't know WTF your talking about "high-jacking this post", I'm giving my opinion and if you really look into it, almost all firearm instructors DON'T recomend open carry for the same rasons I stated in my post and thats not a RUMOR it's a fact, also I do have a CCW just because I can. Google "reasons not to open carry" and I think it just might open your slightly closed eyes.

Yes with your Google search "reasons not to open carry" you will find all the RUMORS.
Google rumor:
1. a story or statement in general circulation without confirmation or certainty as to facts: a rumor of war.
2. gossip; hearsay: Don't listen to rumor.
3. Archaic . a continuous, confused noise; clamor; din.

if you open carry you've put a big sign on you head saying "IF your going to hold up this place, shoot me first
You typed this with no mention it was your opinion.
Post a FACT that an OCer gets shot first... you can't.

If you leave your house you'll get mugged.

If you own a gun it's 100 times more likely it'll be used against you.

If you swim after eating you'll get a cramp and drown.

The check's in the mail .....................................

"if you open carry you've put a big sign on you head saying "IF your going to hold up this place, shoot me first"

This is urban
smiley_BS.gif
promoted and parroted through ignorance.

Golden Eagle

All we ask is one simple thing. Show us examples of your "reasons" happening in real life. That's all. The challenge has been presented for years now: show us examples occurring in real life where Joe Citizen open carrying a firearm is targeted for their gun. You will find about two very dubious examples of what MIGHT be considered Joe Citizen remotely targeted for the gun he is openly carrying. Next, show us any example of Joe Citizen openly carrying a gun who was shot first in a robbery. On that one you will find NADA, ZERO, NOTHING.

You can claim the rumors you have been indoctrinated to believe are fact, just don't expect us to believe that until you can show us in real life where it actually happens. And especially show us examples in real life where it happens with enough frequency to think twice about. You have just as much chance as getting hit by a flower pot thrown off a roof by a wild monkey than you do becoming the target of a criminal because of an openly carried firearm so maybe you should go into the business of selling flower pot proof protective umbrellas rather than spreading false rumors that you use to excuse your prejudice against open carry.

BBC News | SOUTH ASIA | Monkeys create havoc in Delhi

Golden Eagle

Ignorance is bliss.

Show me the facts. Provide cites to actual incidents where the open carrier was "shot first".

Bear in mind that open carry has been practiced by many people just in one State, Arizona, for decades... yes decades! representing thousands of open carry hours by a multitude of people in a plethora of places........ so it should be super easy for you to find a whole bunch of actual incidents with just a simple 'net search. And, if what you are stating is an actual fact worthy of even mentioning, it should be easy to find ..... HUNDREDS! .... of for real researchable incidents just in media accounts alone since if open carriers were being "shot first" it would be all over the news...

But it isn't all over the news now is it?

I challenge you, and everyone else who has the "Yer gonna get shot first!!!" mentality to....

PROVE IT.

At least prove it to yourself before spouting it as a fact to others.

While I agree with the base sentiment of your post (the "prove it" part), I grew up near Douglas, Arizona.
I can remember seeing someone open carry in town exactly once in ~18 years. A "multitude" of people open carrying might be overstating things just a little.
Out of town, different story. But then we're talking about private property or leased forest service land, and the gun was for four legged varmints, snakes, and horses with broken legs.

'Course I left there to join the military in 1983, things might be different now.

to serious sometimes

I just want to say, sometimes you guys and gal have way to much fun on these posts.
Just had to be said. We know what opinions are like and you either like them or you don't.
It is fun to sit back and watch sometimes. :laugh: Me I can't open carry so I will keep my opion to myself.
see you on the next post. :yes4:

Last edited:
While I agree with the base sentiment of your post (the "prove it" part), I grew up near Douglas, Arizona.
I can remember seeing someone open carry in town exactly once in ~18 years. A "multitude" of people open carrying might be overstating things just a little.
Out of town, different story. But then we're talking about private property or leased forest service land, and the gun was for four legged varmints, snakes, and horses with broken legs.

'Course I left there to join the military in 1983, things might be different now.
I understand that folks generally base their opinions on what they personally experience. But the point remains... if one looks at the fact that open carry has been legal, and exercised, for decades.... let me stress that... DECADES!.. in all areas of just the one State that I picked out... Arizona... without a whole bunch of "shot first" incidents then that ignorant BS weenie fear mongering crap about "Them stupid open carriers are gonna get shot first!" has absolutely no basis in reality.

In my not so humble opinion "Yer gonna get shot first!" is really based in needing an excuse to justify being afraid to actually do it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back