Open Carry with drop leg holster?

ryancampbell02

I was wandering if any one Open Carries with a leg drop holster? Also any opinions to this?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have heard of someone doing this...never have seen it. If that is how you want to carry, and you practice this way, and become proficient, then more power to you. I see nothing wrong with it if you do it properly and proficiently.

Works good for when you have heavy or bulky gear on. Less chance of getting snagged at the waist. Takes a while to get used to running with it though

Drop leg holsters don't give you any kind of advantage in speed of draw. They do give you a disadvantage when it comes to weapon retention. Carried on the thigh, you're prevented from clamping your elbow down to secure your weapon as you're able to when worn on the hip. As BravoSierra2012 pointed out, drop legs also cut down on your mobility.

Modern drop leg rigs, for weapons, magazines, etc. were designed to solve a specific problem, that of clearing body armor. Why would you wear an answer to a nonexistent problem? I've got a good amount of time carrying an M9 in a drop leg rig. It catches on doors, deprives me the use of a cargo pocket, and just isn't comfortable. But, it does place the weapon below the level of my vest. The thing it is designed to do it does well.

For what it's worth.

My SIL has one of those contraptions-a throwback to his active duty Iraq days. He's a big guy and it was the only way he could have access to his sidearm while in the Humvee. I really can't see how it has much use or advantages in the civilian world unless you need to carry below a big tool belt. It makes a very unstable platform, bangs against everything, and exposes your pistol to more damage/dirt. I once saw a cop lose his pistol while running with a drop leg rig.

It actually does a good job of keeping your holster from interfering with the waist-belt of a backpack. But, that is about the only real reason I can think of for carrying with a drop leg holster when out of uniform.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back