Open Carry in a Liquor Store

Midnight

I stopped by the liquor store the other day to pick up some Jack, carrying my 9mm Browning Hi-Power. The store manager didn't take too kindly to this and said, "You're not supposed to be carrying a gun in a liquor store." And then he pointed to the wall with legal verbiage saying, "Carrying weapons in an establishment that sells alcoholic beverages is punishable by jail time not to exceed 11 months and 29 days and a fine not to exceed $1,000." I respectfully apologized if my practices made him uncomfortable, and then I proceeded to inform him that the law was repealed seven years ago and it's now legal to carry (openly or concealed) in any establishment that sells alcohol by the bottle or drink. :biggrin: He didn't say anything, just rang me up, and let me leave. I drove by the other day to see if they had posted gunbuster signs, but luckily they didn't.

It would help if you at least mentioned in which State this occurred.

You should of told him:
You have chosen to ban firearms in your store. As such, I have chosen to take my gun, and my money, to your competitors until such time as you choose to allow law-abiding armed citizens in your establishment..

Citizens are legally allowed to carry firearms openly or concealed (with a valid license) to protect themselves and their families in case someone else threatens to harm them.

I would have told him.. You don't have to worry about me, because you see my gun.. It's the guys that you don't see their guns you MAY have to worry about..
I wonder how many armed robbers that sign has caused them to move along to the next store?? Hummmm..

Don't mix your alcohol with guns. It makes your drink taste faintly of Hoppes.

In Washington state we have had a few liquor stores attempt to ban firearms. Once reported to the liquor control board, they were told they must allow firearms because to ban them violates RCW 9.41.290 - State Preemption. :biggrin:

Washington State prohibits us from possessing a firearm in any establishment or area designated 21 Years of Age or Older. This includes Liquor Stores, Bars, Taverns. Though we can carry in a restaurant that also has a bar, except we're not allowed to enter the areas posted 21 or Older. I have run into some restaurants/stores with zoning rules (usually city) prohibiting possession of firearms on any premises (stores, restaurants, gas stations) that serve or sell any type of alcohol. We are a Pre-Emptive State so the zoning rules are illegal, but the police still try to jam you up. That's why I carry a copy of the RCW in my wallet. You should too.

Washington State prohibits us from possessing a firearm in any establishment or area designated 21 Years of Age or Older. This includes Liquor Stores

You came so close to getting it right.... except that liquor stores in Washington state are NOT restricted to 21 years of age or older. It is perfectly legal for me to take my 14 year old daughter into a liquor store AND carry my gun, openly or concealed, while doing so.

I'm in Tennessee. Years ago, you couldn't carry your gun anyway that sold alcohol, including gas stations or grocery stores. It didn't take long to repeal this. On top of that, Tennessee passed a law in June 2010 allowing guns to be carried anywhere that serves alcohol by the drink (restaurants or bars). Either way, I was well within my rights since the store wasn't posed (gunbuster signs have legally weight in Tennessee).

Oh, and as for the "don't mix alcohol and guns" comment, before I ever take the first sip, my guns are locked up and out of sight. :)

One thing NavyLCDR fails to mention is that Washington is one of the benighted states where the state has a monopoly on anything harder than beer or wine. The liquor stores are state-owned and the employees of them are state employees. A good effort was made in the last election to take booze sales out of the purview of the state, but the campaigning by the supporters of the state employees who would have lost their jobs defeated the drive.. Their main weapon was the fairy tale that liquor sales in the private sector would result in the mass buying of booze by teens. I used to live in Arizona, where liquor storesare private businesses, and they occasionally do stings having police explorers trying to buy booze. I was a deputy sheriff and had the liquopr board training.

One thing NavyLCDR fails to mention is that Washington is one of the benighted states where the state has a monopoly on anything harder than beer or wine. The liquor stores are state-owned and the employees of them are state employees.

Which is exactly why it is illegal, violating RCW 9.41.290 for a liquor store in Washington state to ban firearms.

I carry (OC) in WA Liquor stores, banks, and you name it all the time. In WA it is only bars that prohibit minors that qualify for gun prohibition.

I carry (OC) in WA Liquor stores, banks, and you name it all the time. In WA it is only bars that prohibit minors that qualify for gun prohibition.

In order to maintain their license, day care centers must prohibit guns (Washington Administrative Code). RCW (Revised Code of Washington) also prohibits firearms at outdoor music festivals; and in the secure areas of courthouses, jails, mental institutions and airports.

In order to maintain their license, day care centers must prohibit guns (Washington Administrative Code). RCW (Revised Code of Washington) also prohibits firearms at outdoor music festivals; and in the secure areas of courthouses, jails, mental institutions and airports.
Fellow military person I was only talking about liquor establishments in WA. Let's not confuse the the issue. You and I are usually on the same (OC) page.

Fellow military person I was only talking about liquor establishments in WA. Let's not confuse the the issue. You and I are usually on the same (OC) page.

I must respectfully disagree with you due to your previous post:

I haven't seen a bank yet that serves/sells liquor, although they might get more of my business if they did. And it wasn't exactly clear what 'you name it' encompasses.

I must respectfully disagree with you due to your previous post:

I haven't seen a bank yet that serves/sells liquor, although they might get more of my business if they did. And it wasn't exactly clear what 'you name it' encompasses.

Busted by the technicality police once again!

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back