Only the Cops should have Guns

A dictatorship (king, etc.) is probably the most efficient form of government. The caveat (and, of course it is a big one) is that the rule be benign and essentially selfless. On top of that, the ruler (and his minions) need to be intelligent and well educated. They must also not base their decisions on any religious point of view.

In practice this is difficult to establish and almost impossible for a second generation of rule. Heredity being unreliable and coups common. If real (as opposed to perceived) personal freedom is maintained, there would probably be general acceptance. If the rule is rational in its' actions it will conflict with the people whose view of the world is in someway divergent with reality. Therein lies the problems with democracy. It is ruled by money and power wielded by people with a broken concept of reality.
I had lived (or stayed in) many countries around the world because of my work assignments. 'Been to Saudi Arabia for 6 months; Philippines for 21 years then Australia...amongst others. I am both an Australian and an American. I like the freedom that I have here though in actuality, many regions I had visited, almost untouched by civilization as we call it, are physically beautiful.

If you really like those sort of countries or their government, why don't you go and live there? As simple as that...I wouldn't think that unless you have connections you will last in Saudi Arabia.

You appeared to miss the word efficient. In addition, none of those governments match the criteria I outlined.
I am not aware of any that do. Despots do not count.

A dictatorship (king, etc.) is probably the most efficient form of government. The caveat (and, of course it is a big one) is that the rule be benign and essentially selfless. On top of that, the ruler (and his minions) need to be intelligent and well educated. They must also not base their decisions on any religious point of view.

In practice this is difficult to establish and almost impossible for a second generation of rule. Heredity being unreliable and coups common. If real (as opposed to perceived) personal freedom is maintained, there would probably be general acceptance. If the rule is rational in its' actions it will conflict with the people whose view of the world is in someway divergent with reality. Therein lies the problems with democracy. It is ruled by money and power wielded by people with a broken concept of reality.

Really?

Watch out, there seems to be a fox in the hen house!

The problem with absolute power is that it corrupts absolutely. Government FOR THE PEOPLE BY THE PEOPLE.

Not government telling us what we can and can't do in every aspect of our lives. Licensing, regulation, taxation, prohibitions, more regulation. When does it end?

I want you to do an exercise. Figure out how much you pay in taxes and what is left from your pay. Then, list all of the taxes (fees, sales tax, licenses and permits, registrations, etc.) that you pay with your "post tax" money. Don't forget the triple taxation in fuel, vehicle registration, mandated inspections, etc. if you're not furious after this calculation, either you're a moron or your calculator is broken.

The government tells us what rights we have and places financial burden on us to keep itself going. This thinking begins in the liberal think tank educational system we have allowed the government to create. The mentality needs to be that we have the rights inherently and the government restricts them. Not that the government grants us rights. This is why the big government people don't want an armed population. We are too tough to control.

If the king and parliament hadn't acted the way they did, I likely wouldn't have a problem with that.

Hell, if it worked properly, communism really would be the best form of government. But like gun control laws, it doesn't work in reality. There's a difference between idealism and realism. A lot of what would be great "in theory" fails miserably in real life.

One of the most stupid comments ever on this site. Communism does not work in real life because, in theory, it is evil. Slavery of the mind may be "great in theory" to you. It is still slavery. That is why it does not work. Capitalism is great in theory and works in practice.
Duh. But you are in Portland. You will never get it.

CharonPDX

I must disagree. Once you take away all guns, we are back to the stone age when the one who can lift and swing the biggest rock is the boss of the weaker folks. Give me Sam Colt's equalizer any day!

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back