One in the pipe

Licensed_2Carry

I'd like everyone's opinion on carrying with a round in the chamber. Do you do it? Why or why not?

I do because if you are shielding or securing a child with one hand or if you are injured in one arm or that hand is engaged in defense (it wasn't lethal and now has gone lethal) you have nothing with which to rack a round quickly.

I'd like everyone's opinion on carrying with a round in the chamber. Do you do it? Why or why not?
I'll answer despite the fact that this has come up a dozen times on a dozen forums.

Can you chamber a round while trying to fight off two or more individuals?

I've seen people claim they can chamber with one hand. Not ONE of them would say whether they could do so while fighting a couple of assailants.

A few years ago, there was a guy in Dayton, Ohio who got jumped by a couple of druggies while pumping gas. He managed to fight them off JUST long enough to draw and fire, incapacitating one of his assailants and causing the other to flee. By his own admission, had he not had a round in the chamber, his assailants probably would have prevailed, leaving him disarmed and at their mercy.

A handgun without a round in the chamber is merely a poorly designed club.

Anybody who has so little confidence in the safety of their firearm that they'd carry with an unloaded chamber, they need to switch guns or stop carrying.

A gun without a round in the chamber is a paperweight. If you don't trust your gun enough to believe it won't fire itself, you're probably not comfortable enough to be carrying a gun. I use "you" in the ambiguous sense. I'm not trying to sound accusatory. Haha

I do because if you are shielding or securing a child with one hand or if you are injured in one arm or that hand is engaged in defense (it wasn't lethal and now has gone lethal) you have nothing with which to rack a round quickly.

While I agree with your point, you can always rack a round into the chamber by hooking your back sight on your belt and pushing the frame downward. That's how you clear a malfunction with an injured arm/hand, too.

A handgun without a round in the chamber is merely a poorly designed club.

Anybody who has so little confidence in the safety of their firearm that they'd carry with an unloaded chamber, they need to switch guns or stop carrying.

+1

Literally took the words out of my mouth, sir. Haha

While I agree with your point, you can always rack a round into the chamber by hooking your back sight on your belt and pushing the frame downward. That's how you clear a malfunction with an injured arm/hand, too.
ALWAYS? NO.
SOMETIMES? MAYBE.

What you can do standing alone in front of your mirror at home is VERY different from what you can do while two meth heads are trying to wrestle you to the ground and beat you to death.

ALWAYS? NO.
SOMETIMES? MAYBE.

What you can do standing alone in front of your mirror at home is VERY different from what you can do while two meth heads are trying to wrestle you to the ground and beat you to death.

Agreed. Poor choice of words on my part. As I said in my other posts, carrying with a loaded chamber is the only way to carry. One handed manipulations should be a last ditch effort in extreme circumstances.

a handgun without a round in the chamber is merely a poorly designed club.

amen!!!!

Processing a multitude of information in a split second when you are up to your elbows in alligators takes time and training. If you can't trust your weapon is safe when loaded, don't carry it. As has been said on this subject many times an empty gun is just a paper weight.

Always carry with one in the chamber. I used to be in the camp of thinking that I could always manage to rack the slide with one hand, if need be, and with both hands free, it really doesn't take that long to draw, rack, and fire (given that you have both hands available, and you practice, practice, practice).

That was until my (then chosen) EDC of choice had tapered rear sights that would not be conducive to a one-hand rack. My current EDC does not have this problem... however, shielding/carrying a family member, defending against another attack or individual, etc etc. Unless you're weapon is ready to fire when drawn, you leave yourself open to too much possibility of not being able to chamber a round when needed, and having a fancy paperweight/club in your hand.

You need to train how you fight. So if you decide to carry with an empty chamber than you should train like that. You need to develop muscle memory by repeating the way you would carry. I personally carry with one round in the chamber because that was how I was trained, that's how I currently train now and that is what I prefer.

I carry with one in the chamber and openly. Faster, able to defend myself one handed efficiently, and safer for me.

Sent from my HTCONE using USA Carry mobile app

Always one in the chamber. Racking the slide to get ready to fight is for movies, TV series, and some older guns that aren't drop safe and you shouldn't carry anyway.

One of my students asked this in my carry class today, mentioning that a friend or two carry with an empty chamber. The point I made was that, in a deadly force confrontation, you're going to be under enough pressure as it is. Don't complicate things further by adding unnecessary manipulations into the mix. The point above about having to herd others out of the way is a good one. There is also the issue of maybe having a spouse or friend reflexively grab onto you. Don't complicate it.

You mean you want everyone's opinion AGAIN?!? Because every time there is a new giveaway on this site, someone asks this questions AGAIN. About 90% will tell you to carry one in the chamber and about 10% will tell you not to.

No disrespect intended, but you so new the paint's not dry yet, my short standard answer would be unless your loaded, cocked, locked, with one in the pipe, you may as well not even carry the gun, because if you needed it at a moments notice you and it would not be ready and you may end up a statistic, .......................................and LOL I think of this subject as a Zombie shows on TV, no matter what happens,.....IT WILL NOT DIE, honestly if you are new to carrying I do not blame you for being carefull, and I suppose even not being in condition one, having the gun is better than not having it at all, just remember the split second it may take to rack the slide may be all the time a BG needs to pop you, I know all the stories out there and hopefully most of us will never have to find out

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back