Ohio school system has 30 loaded firearms in fingerprint safes….

E

ezkl2230

Sydney schools has 30 loaded firearms in fingerprint activated stashed in their seven buildings. A total of 34 staff/security officers have been trained as first responders to use them should the need arise. I know what I think about this approach, but I would be interested in the thoughts of the rest of you.

Link Removed

They don't want the teachers carrying in the classroom so the weapons will be distributed in lock boxes around the school. That is fine if you happen to be near one of the boxes but not so good if you aren't close. I understand all classrooms are supposed to be locked down immediately after an alarm so you may leave the classroom looking for a weapon and then find yourself locked out so one may inadvertently become involved in an OK Corral style shootout. Still doesn't seem quite right. Needs more massaging.

They don't want the teachers carrying in the classroom so the weapons will be distributed in lock boxes around the school. That is fine if you happen to be near one of the boxes but not so good if you aren't close. I understand all classrooms are supposed to be locked down immediately after an alarm so you may leave the classroom looking for a weapon and then find yourself locked out so one may inadvertently become involved in an OK Corral style shootout. Still doesn't seem quite right. Needs more massaging.

Seven buildings, so that's 4 firearms per school (28 total); assuming for sake of discussion that the two extras go to the largest buildings. Would be interested to see how their strategy holds up against a true red team exercise (unscheduled, unannounced).

They have 30 guns distributed to 7 buildings. How many are authorized to use those weapons? How close to them are they in the school lock boxes? Just how good is the biometrics on those lock boxes?
~
I see too many problems with this kind of system to be truly and fully effective to ensure the safety of the occupants of the buildings.
~
If you trust a person to use a firearm in a school to safe guard our children and staff, then you need to trust them to keep those guns safe from inquisitive minds and allow them to keep them with them at all times. ~
Having a gun is only good if you have quick and easy access to it and have practiced all the safety issues and know how and are willing to place shots that are going to end any incident.

I think storing guns around the school has more liability issues than teachers carrying on themselves. How secure are those boxes and how hidden are they?

Each weapon is locked in a box that can only be opened by a fingerprint.

Really? I bet a small screwdriver will open most biometric handgun safes in under a minute. I'll bet it is one of the more popular brands which aren't much of a deterrent other than for your kids which typically won't try to damage it to get in. Now, a kid won't have to smuggle the gun into the school since it is already there. He would just need to figure out where they are.

Last edited:
I think storing guns around the school has more liability issues than teachers carrying on themselves. How secure are those boxes and how hidden are they?

Really? I bet a small screwdriver will open most biometric handgun safes in under a minute. I'll bet it one of the more popular brands which aren't much of a deterrent other than for your kids which typically won't try to damage it to get in. Now, a kid won't have to smuggle the gun into the school since it is already there. He would just need to figure out where they are.
You really are way over the top here. Now you would like us to believe that kids will be cutting class and starting a gun hunt, just to find a gun...

......oh! Wait......

Yeah, they probably will......

I bet a small screwdriver will open most biometric handgun safes in under a minute. I'll bet it one of the more popular brands which aren't much of a deterrent other than for your kids which typically won't try to damage it to get in.

Tell you what, before you go making such unfounded, asinine remarks about a product you know squat about, do us all a favor. The school is using Barska biometric safes (model AX 11620, Link Removed). Get you hands on this safe and test how easy it is to get into it, then report back to us.

Until then, your ign'ance is showing. Biometric technology has come a long way in recent years, and I give any school that arm its staff credit for also having the sense to carefully research the safes in which they will store them.

My own reservation with such a program is this: in the event of an active shooter scenario, the teachers still have to make their way to wherever the guns are stored and then open a safe. This equates to lost time in a scenario in which, by definition, there is none to spare.

If you are going to arm teachers, and I am in 100% favor of doing that, then go all out and let them carry.

Tell you what, before you go making such unfounded, asinine remarks about a product you know squat about, do us all a favor. The school is using Barska biometric safes (model AX 11620, Link Removed). Get you hands on this safe and test how easy it is to get into it, then report back to us.

Until then, your ign'ance is showing. Biometric technology has come a long way in recent years, and I give any school that arm its staff credit for also having the sense to carefully research the safes in which they will store them.

My own reservation with such a program is this: in the event of an active shooter scenario, the teachers still have to make their way to wherever the guns are stored and then open a safe. This equates to lost time in a scenario in which, by definition, there is none to spare.

If you are going to arm teachers, and I am in 100% favor of doing that, then go all out and let them carry.

I am offended at the way you talk to another member. Switch to decalf. Forum road rage is not necessary to make your point.

Seems like public policy on school safety is far too deep in the news. A few signs around schools, saying attackers will be shot, and leaving it vague, would be enough to discourage prowlers. Maybe signs reminding teachers to load their guns before entering school property.

Well I guess I missed the make and model of the safes they chose in the article that you posted. Thanks for clearing that up. If that is indeed the one being used, you do realize the safes body is only 1/16" steel? I apologize to anyone I might have offended with my asinine opinion.

I don't consider FAS1's concerns to be particularly compelling either, but ezkl2230, you might want to Link Removed and/or Link Removed before calling him ignorant about gun safes.

I don't consider FAS1's concerns to be particularly compelling either, but ezkl2230, you might want to Link Removed and/or Link Removed before calling him ignorant about gun safes.

I did. We also have someone here who goes by the handle Glock20, but I don't assume he manufactures or even necessarily knows anything about them, either! All the handle implies is that he likes them.

I did. We also have someone here who goes by the handle Glock20, but I don't assume he manufactures or even necessarily knows anything about them, either! All the handle implies is that he likes them.

Whatever. His posting history implies otherwise, but if you want to justify your saying things that really have no justification, go ahead. It's no skin off my teeth, but from where I sit, it sure doesn't buttress the accusation that it's FAS1 who is ignorant, but.... Like I said, whatever.

Thanks guys, but no need to get off topic. The OP asked for opinions and I shared mine. For whatever reason the OP decided to bust my chops. It's OK, it's the internet!

Regardless of which handgun safe they use, I still think a CCW is a better choice. There are a couple school districts in TX arming teachers and there is one district (Argyle, TX) doing something similar to this Ohio district. All of these schools in TX are rural and I don't see any large school districts implementing any of these yet since we changed the law a year ago to allow storing guns on school property. Seems like they are just watching to see how well it works.

Thanks guys, but no need to get off topic. The OP asked for opinions and I shared mine. For whatever reason the OP decided to bust my chops. It's OK, it's the internet!

Regardless of which handgun safe they use, I still think a CCW is a better choice. There are a couple school districts in TX arming teachers and there is one district (Argyle, TX) doing something similar to this Ohio district. All of these schools in TX are rural and I don't see any large school districts implementing any of these yet since we changed the law a year ago to allow storing guns on school property. Seems like they are just watching to see how well it works.

I agree wholeheartedly with you that on-person carry is highly preferable to stored out-of-reach weapons.

I'm a bit less agreeable to the notion that kids will go looking for and break into any kind of safe that might be distributed around a given campus. Could happen I suppose, but I don't see any more potential for that happenstance than successfully disarming someone who's CC'ing, which also carries very low odds IMO of happening.

We don't have kids and almost never have company, so I really have no need/use for an individual lock-box, but if I did, I would definitely stay away from the bio-lock variety for the exact same reason that "Smart Gun" technology is nearly universally panned by gun owners. A combination or key-actuated box will slow you down, but if a bio-lock box fails, it locks you out until you can perform whatever emergency steps are built into it for access, and by that time, you're likely dead if you really needed the weapon to begin with.

With that in mind, I have no idea why it would be deemed "ignorant" or "asinine" to state a preference for mechanical rather than bio-lock access to a lock-box. I seriously doubt that ezkl would call someone ignorant for not wanting a "smart gun." He's a good and smart guy though, so something probably just him weird about your post. I have nothing against Barska products, I own one of their rifle scopes and one of their red dot optics, but it doesn't surprise me at all that their safes are manufactured using 21 ga. sheet steel. They are a bargain-basement brand like "Under The Gun" (UTG) or NCStar or CAA products for guns and/or tactical gear. While I would, and in some cases do, use products from those companies, I would never hold them up as the pinnacle of form, function, or most importantly, safety, nor would I ever take offense if someone criticized them as sub-standard.

Still, if the school is going to hide lock-boxed guns around the campus, that's better than leaving teachers, staff and children completely unarmed and vulnerable to attack. I'd rather they institute a CC (or even OC) program too, but it's a step in the right direction doing it the way they're doing it, and I really don't see much potential for kids to gain access to them.

Blues

It's not a bad idea, and the good people of Ohio are competent to make the decisions that will work best for them.
And there is more than one way to skin a cat. There are other options. My preference would be to allow school personnel to ccw and have the option of securing their handguns inside a desk mounted lock box in their own personal homeroom desks. Personally, I like these: Link Removed.
They can be secured inside of a desk and have no batteries to fail or leak.
I'm a little bit uneasy with remote storage. Kids are very resourceful, clever and inquisitive, sometimes mischievous (and sometimes malicious), but I suppose remote boxes can be located out of easy access to the students....but then, are they really within easy access of authorized personnel?
I'm not in favor of "one size fits all" answers. It's something that has to be figured out separately for each venue.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back