OC helps change county law

And sadly many gun owners/concealed carriers say open carry doesn't have any positive effects but only has negative effects because open carry is only done by people wanting to get on youtube, act irresponsibly, dress sloppy, and... gasp!! ... cause confrontations with the police never understanding that it is the police that initiate those confrontations with legal open carriers.

I know a few gentlemen who have attended council meetings in Michigan while open carrying successfully demanding illegal ordinances be changed... and I don't know any concealed carry only folks who have attended meetings demanding illegal gun ordinances be changed. Quite the contrary since I have been confronted by concealed carriers in those meetings who tried to shame me into covering up my gun. Much like what sadly happens in online forums but face to face in the real world.

And sadly many gun owners/concealed carriers say open carry doesn't have any positive effects but only has negative effects because open carry is only done by people wanting to get on youtube, act irresponsibly, dress sloppy, and... gasp!! ... cause confrontations with the police never understanding that it is the police that initiate those confrontations with legal open carriers.

I know a few gentlemen who have attended council meetings in Michigan while open carrying successfully demanding illegal ordinances be changed... and I don't know any concealed carry only folks who have attended meetings demanding illegal gun ordinances be changed. Quite the contrary since I have been confronted by concealed carriers in those meetings who tried to shame me into covering up my gun. Much like what sadly happens in online forums but face to face in the real world.

Just look at the first comment below the article...a cc snob couldn't comprehend that the county was going to update its laws to reflect state law which allows open carry....what a tool.

Sent from my HTCONE using USA Carry mobile app

A bit off topic ... my wife and I were paying for our groceries at Wal Mart in Clio MI today when a total stranger walked up and shook my hand as he thanked me for open carrying. He then rejoined his smiling wife and they left. And everyone in line, including the cashier, saw that and all 4 of those women smiled. My wife didn't pay much attention other than noticing because she has seen this happen many times in many different businesses.

But then some CC'ers would have folks believe that no good can come of wearing a gun in plain sight..

A bit off topic ... my wife and I were paying for our groceries at Wal Mart in Clio MI today when a total stranger walked up and shook my hand as he thanked me for open carrying. He then rejoined his smiling wife and they left. And everyone in line, including the cashier, saw that and all 4 of those women smiled. My wife didn't pay much attention other than noticing because she has seen this happen many times in many different businesses.

But then some CC'ers would have folks believe that no good can come of wearing a gun in plain sight..

It's a good feeling brother!

A bit off topic ... my wife and I were paying for our groceries at Wal Mart in Clio MI today when a total stranger walked up and shook my hand as he thanked me for open carrying. He then rejoined his smiling wife and they left.
This confuses me. Why would anyone thank another citizen for nothing more than openly carrying a firearm for self defense?
Also, did you get a look at the make/model pistol he was carrying and what sort of holster it was in? If he wasn't carrying, why not? This isn't some sort of special right.
Here in Louisiana Open Carry has been legal for about 200 years. Someone will thank or congratulate you for OCing but fail to be responsible for their own safety and wellbeing? Was the guy a felon? Was he someone who had a domestic assault charge in his record which would prevent him from owning a pistol? IF not, what is his excuse for not carrying and why is he so darned happy to see some random guy in a grocery store carrying if he doesn't carry?
Unless you come over to me and say "Hey, I see you are still carrying that old Ruger you used in that Tom Givens class we both went to a couple years ago. Check it out. I got this new M and P and love it. What did you think of that Combat Focus Shooting class you took? I'm thinking of signing up for one.", I really don't see the point and I really don't need any thanks. I don't carry to make a political point. I carry for deterrence and comfort. I don't carry to be a "sheepdog" and have no plans on inserting myself into anyone else's drama should I see it occur.
If you are a grown man who is legally able to possess a pistol and you chose not to carry as you go about your daily routine, then that was a decision you made and you need to deal with the consequences.
By the way, thanks for exercising your right to carry your firearm. Right there with ya.

This confuses me. Why would anyone thank another citizen for nothing more than openly carrying a firearm for self defense?
Also, did you get a look at the make/model pistol he was carrying and what sort of holster it was in? If he wasn't carrying, why not? This isn't some sort of special right.
Here in Louisiana Open Carry has been legal for about 200 years. Someone will thank or congratulate you for OCing but fail to be responsible for their own safety and wellbeing? Was the guy a felon? Was he someone who had a domestic assault charge in his record which would prevent him from owning a pistol? IF not, what is his excuse for not carrying and why is he so darned happy to see some random guy in a grocery store carrying if he doesn't carry?
Unless you come over to me and say "Hey, I see you are still carrying that old Ruger you used in that Tom Givens class we both went to a couple years ago. Check it out. I got this new M and P and love it. What did you think of that Combat Focus Shooting class you took? I'm thinking of signing up for one.", I really don't see the point and I really don't need any thanks. I don't carry to make a political point. I carry for deterrence and comfort. I don't carry to be a "sheepdog" and have no plans on inserting myself into anyone else's drama should I see it occur.
If you are a grown man who is legally able to possess a pistol and you chose not to carry as you go about your daily routine, then that was a decision you made and you need to deal with the consequences.
By the way, thanks for exercising your right to carry your firearm. Right there with ya.

Why wouldn't they thank someone else that's deterring criminals in their vicinity? I've had both, concealed carriers and non carriers thank me for carrying openly.

The concealed carrier had either the LCP or LC9, didn't get a great look when he lifted his shirt to reveal his appendix carry iwb.

The non carriers have always started out with, "that's a good idea/i didn't know I could carry openly...I need to carry more/start carrying." Before thanking me.

Just because they haven't come to the decision of carrying, doesn't mean they can't thank someone else for carrying, especially when the deterrence factor is in their favor.

There is a lot more to life than firearms, why anyone would judge anyone else just because they don't want to carry is beyond me.

Originally Posted by Bikenut View Post
A bit off topic ... my wife and I were paying for our groceries at Wal Mart in Clio MI today when a total stranger walked up and shook my hand as he thanked me for open carrying. He then rejoined his smiling wife and they left.
About the part I put in bold...

While I open carry to have the ability to use a gun for self defense I carry it openly for the deterrent factor of "surprising" the criminal during his choosing the victim decision process instead of "surprising" the criminal with concealed carry during his attacking phase....

But I also open carry as a political statement in support of the the right to bear arms.. and perhaps this gentleman (and the other folks who have thanked me on other occasions) who thanked me for open carrying were thanking me for making that political statement.

And the gentleman in question was not open carrying and if he was carrying concealed and not making a political statement or using the deterrent factor of open carry then to a criminal he looked exactly like all the other folks who weren't open carrying... easy prey.

And thank you for exercising your right to bear arms! Especially since, except for a very few States, concealed carry requires the infringement called a permit from the government making concealed carry merely exercising the government controlled privilege to carry a gun concealed and is not exercising the right to bear arms. If one can exercise a right then one does not need a permission slip, a permit, from the government to be able to do so.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back