Now have great confidence of the power of a .380

walther380

Went out this weekend to hunt turkey and hogs. Didn't have much luck with the birds but did shoot a nice fat sow along with my dad. We drove up on about 10 pigs that were feeding and we took our shots. I ran up to the pig I shot and although the shot placement was good (double lung) it was still kicking a bit so I took out my PK380 for the coup de grace. I placed the winchester PDX1 round right at the base of the ear at a range of about 4 yards. To my surprise the bullet did its job and made a nice 3 inch wound cavity completely thru the animal exiting the front of the head. Never did find the bullet to see what it looked like but it was amazing to see what a small caliber can do in a real flesh and bone scenario.

I think its applicable to this forum as alot of us carry the .380 as a CCW primary. Its nice to hear of some real world impact (pun intended) on a very hard target with modern .380 ammo.

Pics would have been nice...

R-

I know. I thought about pictures a little late. Got a picture of me and dad standing next to our kills but no gore stuff.

I inadvertently got a pic of the exit hole. My pig is the one on the left. My little pig is 90 pounds and pops weighed in at 170.

Link Removed

The picture should not leave any questions about what a .380 would do to a person. Makes me feel better about the one I keep in my truck.

Went out this weekend to hunt turkey and hogs. Didn't have much luck with the birds but did shoot a nice fat sow along with my dad. We drove up on about 10 pigs that were feeding and we took our shots. I ran up to the pig I shot and although the shot placement was good (double lung) it was still kicking a bit so I took out my PK380 for the coup de grace. I placed the winchester PDX1 round right at the base of the ear at a range of about 4 yards. To my surprise the bullet did its job and made a nice 3 inch wound cavity completely thru the animal exiting the front of the head. Never did find the bullet to see what it looked like but it was amazing to see what a small caliber can do in a real flesh and bone scenario.

You shot your dad? Shame on you!

We are always hearing about how ineffective .380, .22 etc. are but how many are willing to take a hit from one of them to prove that they are ineffective. I watched my grandfather kill many many pigs for butchering and all he ever used was a .22 to the head.

You shot your dad? Shame on you!

We are always hearing about how ineffective .380, .22 etc. are but how many are willing to take a hit from one of them to prove that they are ineffective. I watched my grandfather kill many many pigs for butchering and all he ever used was a .22 to the head.

Dad and I kill pigs all the time using .22 mags and .17 HMR's. Double lung them and they will go down. Some will run but only 20 yards at most and keel over.

Most people these days don't have a clue what a bullet does to flesh and bone. They think humans and animals are a solid mass of soft tissue with bone and skin holding it all together. There is air in the body cavity and tissue you can put your finger thru with ease. We are very fragile and easily torn apart if you ask me.

Although hunting is nothing like stopping a threat to your life, you can learn what works and what doesn't. I say put a few holes in a vital area and stand back as they fall.

I agree 100% FN1910 - My Father had a little topbreak Iver-Johnson 9-shot .22 wheelie that he used to kill our Hogs with. He would pop them right behind the ear and down they went! I later inherited the Iver-Johnson, but lost it in the 4/1/79 Tornado that hit Wichita Falls, Tx.

The .380 (9mm kurtz) is a respectable caliber especially with a good controlled expansion round. I switched to the .380 as my primary concealed carry a few years ago. If you compare ballistic tables between the 9mm and the .380 you really don't loose much in the energy (ft lbs), but it can be confusing when the bullet weights don't really translate grain for grain. It's also very easily controlled and can you double or triple tap to make certain that the offender is neutralized and the threat is removed.

380s are service pistols for many police depts and some military units of the world. I "parked" the 45s for a Sig 232 in 380. I call it my "mini 45". The round travels slowly (below 900 fps) and IMO dumps more energy into the target than the faster 9mm. Just loaded a few boxes with XTPs. Those should last me a long time. For plinking/practice I use FMJs.

Wow ................ outstanding anecdotal evidence that the .380 PDX is good for administering the coup de gras on terminally injured pigs. As to being an effective self defense round it lacks adequate penetration to reliably get to he vitals on a human being.

380s are service pistols for many police depts and some military units of the world.

I'd really like to see the list.

Remember little David and the rock sling shot??? IMHO since most conflicts happen at close range any weapon is a good weapon. I love to hear big bore hunters who will only carry a magnum or cannon for protection.

Ccw 380

I agree 100% FN1910 - My Father had a little topbreak Iver-Johnson 9-shot .22 wheelie that he used to kill our Hogs with. He would pop them right behind the ear and down they went! I later inherited the Iver-Johnson, but lost it in the 4/1/79 Tornado that hit Wichita Falls, Tx.

My primary CC is a Bersa Thunder 380. I used this weapon for my some 150 hours of NRA self and home defense training . I was on the line and in qualification firing with some the top of the line handguns on the market today. My Bersa held it's own in every event. I experienced no muzzle jump with blow-back operation of the Bersa. The shot placement was as I intended it to be. However, there was a noticable a difference in using 380 ball ammunition, in the training classes, than that of Hornady Critical Defense JHP in follow-up practice monthly occasins in personal defense practice. The Bersa seemed to like the ball ammunition better than the Hornady JHP. Although, I did not experience any malifunctions or stove pipe causes with either of the different grades of ammunition. The less expensive ball ammunition appeared, to me, as having a a very noticable difference in the firing of such.

To me, the 380 is the perfect caliber for CCW. There is very little possibility of experiencing collaterial damage in a through penetration of the flesh, wallboard material and/or a ricochet of the Hornady JHP Critical defense ammunition. The Bersa is perfect for CCW and very simple to disassemble for cleaning maintence. The weight is hardly noticeable and concealment of such is not at all noticeable in carring with a high riding paddle holster.

.380 ACP ammo

Although I haven't yet test fired any of it, Hornaday's relatively new Critical Defense loads have gotten rave reviews in everything I've read so far. These loads come in .380 ACP, .38 Special, .38 Special +P, 9 mm Lugar, as well as .357 Mag., .40 S&W, .45 ACP and 12 ga. Buckshot. Not too many dealers carry this ammo in all calibers but I intend to give the .380, .38 Sp.+P and 9mm a test firing into wet phone books at an early date.

rpeckham

People get all hung up in paper stats and ballistics gel performance when talking about bullets. Gel is not the same as flesh, bone, organs, blood, movement and pain. There is no such thing as a guaranteed one stop shot and kill (see Rep. Giffords who took a 9mm to the brain). A .380 is a very effective round and the offer is still open that anyone who think that it isn't I am sure we can arrange for a demonstration on you.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back