Notifying LEO -- Is it LAW in NYS, or just a good idea?

A car description that matches your may have been put out on the radio...WHAM..here we are!

There are a millions of things that can happen in a traffic stop....

And the most common one ( at least if I'm invovled) is going to be you hearing "Officer am I free to go?" Followed by either "Thank you, have a good evening" (As I drive a way) or " Ihave nothing further to say until I speak to my attorney".

Being retired LEO I can tell you I would prefer the person inform me as soon as I approach the person. It will make the experience more comfortable for both of us...Now don't miss-understand that I would treat you differently..But keep in mind if we were at a violent crime scene I'm going to want to make sure all weapons are secured before getting into the investigation...I would rather you tell me than me having to find it on you....Like I said it could avoid and miss-understanding between us and you know in that in this situation people are already tense!.It may even give you an edge with me.....Keep in mind this is my thought and opinion...But you know what they say about those.

Plus who knows in a bad situation you might be my only backup! Before you ask yes that has happened in a live fire call..Neighbor and I were pinned behind my car.....He had CWP and assisted me..Must say he handled himself very well.....Story had a good ending with the good guy's not leaking..

Just curious... how is the CCW holder supposed to be your only backup after you have secured their firearm "for officer safety", of course.

As stated in my post "of course"

I'm sorry, but it sounds like to me you are just another LEO who is looking for any excuse to use their authority to seize and fondle law abiding citizens' guns, just because you can.

I'm sorry, but it sounds like to me you are just another LEO who is looking for any excuse to use their authority to seize and fondle law abiding citizens' guns, just because you can.

Your too funny...You can identify a person's type by a simple email statement..And a persons intents...

titaniumman:231858 said:
If you are stopped by an Erie co. Sheriff. It will be in their records that they were at your house for a pistol permit interview, I don't know if it says weather you were granted one by the Judge or not. I have heard the dispatch inform the officer to BOTLO for weapons.

What the sheriff did not come to your house for an interview? I live in Erie Co and the interview was done over the phone by a local detective, not even sheriff

Dont know for NY, but here in NV, you must in form, But even If it wasnt?, I still would, LEO's have a tough enough job to do, If by chance they see your firearm, Im sure it would make them feel uneasy, if they where informed a head of time, and then saw the firearm, they will less likely be uneasy, This is just my opinion

Dont know for NY, but here in NV, you must in form......This is just my opinion

You are correct about one thing. It is just your OPINION that you must inform in Nevada, because there is no law that requires it. Please stop making up false restrictions regarding firearms laws in Nevada - lets leave that to the anti-gun crowd, shall we? We have enough problems with them, we don't need to be their sock puppets.

The problems I see with laws that say that a carrier must inform the LEO, when stopped, are that it doesn't just go against the Second Amendment, but also the Fifth Amendment (Miranda Rights). Our Miranda Rights say that we have the right to remain silent. This doesn't just apply after one is arrested...it applies before and after and always. The Fifth Amendment guarantees our right to not being forced to incriminate ourself. If some states are going to treat carrying a gun as a potential crime, then why are they forcing us to potentially incriminate ourselves by notifying the officer. I live in Utah and luckily some level-headed lawmakers have realized these problems and made laws that protect and don't violate our God-given right to not say a word.

What the sheriff did not come to your house for an interview? I live in Erie Co and the interview was done over the phone by a local detective, not even sheriff
Although the state maintains records, by county, of CCW permit holders I don't believe it's made it to the DMV system yet. I have two active LEO that work for us as instructors and they've told me that no info pops up on a routine traffic stop. I have no official confirmation on this, only the two officers' statements.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back