Notary Public in Missouri

mornflt

I have been told that in Missouri there are some special considerations for a Notary who has a concealed weapons permit. Does anyone have information on this subject?

Remember you have no right to carry a weapon on any private property where the owner objects. The second amendment is between you and the government, not you and other private citizens. On private property the owner or lessee holds the cards. As a notary you have no special consideration on others' premises. You can be charged with trespass if you refuse to disarm or leave. And there is no law overriding the wishes of the owner or lessee.
If concealed no one will know you have the weapon. If asked by the owner do not lie. Lying could cost you your notary license. Cameras are everywhere. Carry-on sir.

I have been told that in Missouri there are some special considerations for a Notary who has a concealed weapons permit. Does anyone have information on this subject?

Can you expand on what you mean by "special considerations"?

The reason I asked this question is not because I am a Notary. It was simply because according to a recent concealed weapons class attendee, there was a discussion in which the subject of special consideration to Missouri Notaries was discussed. Personally I know of no special considerations, so I was just asking if anyone else had any knowledge of this.

The reason I asked this question is not because I am a Notary. It was simply because according to a recent concealed weapons class attendee, there was a discussion in which the subject of special consideration to Missouri Notaries was discussed. Personally I know of no special considerations, so I was just asking if anyone else had any knowledge of this.

They can notarize their instructors' certificates?

RSMO:
Firearms training requirements--safety instructorrequirements--penalty for violations.

5. A firearms safety instructor shall be considered to be a qualified firearms safety instructor by any sheriff issuing a concealed carry permit pursuant to sections 571.101 to 571.121 if the instructor:

(1) Is a valid firearms safety instructor certified by the National Rifle Association holding a rating as a personal protection instructor or pistol marksmanship instructor; or

(2) Submits a photocopy of a notarized certificate from a firearms safety instructor's course offered by a local, state, or federal governmental agency; or

(3) Submits a photocopy of a notarized certificate from a firearms safety instructor course approved by the department of public safety; or

(4) Has successfully completed a firearms safety instructor course given by or under the supervision of any state, county, municipal, or federal law enforcement agency; or

(5) Is a certified police officer firearms safety instructor.

6. Any firearms safety instructor qualified under subsection 5 of this section may submit a copy of a training instructor certificate, course outline bearing the notarized signature of the instructor, and a recent photograph of the instructor to the sheriff of the county in which the instructor resides. The sheriff shall review the training instructor certificate along with the course outline and verify the firearms safety instructor is qualified and the course meets the requirements provided under this section. If the sheriff verifies the firearms safety instructor is qualified and the course meets the requirements provided under this section, the sheriff shall collect an annual registration fee of ten dollars from each qualified instructor who chooses to submit such information and submit the registration to the Missouri sheriff methamphetamine relief taskforce. The Missouri sheriff methamphetamine relief taskforce, or its designated agent, shall create and maintain a statewide database of qualified instructors. This information shall be a closed record except for access by any sheriff. Firearms safety instructors may register annually and the registration is only effective for the calendar year in which the instructor registered. Any sheriff may access the statewide database maintained by the Missouri sheriff methamphetamine relief taskforce to verify the firearms safety instructor is qualified and the course offered by the instructor meets the requirements provided under this section. Unless a sheriff has reason to believe otherwise, a sheriff shall presume a firearms safety instructor is qualified to provide firearms safety instruction in counties throughout the state under this section if the instructor is registered on the statewide database of qualified instructors.

The biggest source of misinformation regarding firearms laws historically have proven themselves to be CCW instructors, LEOs, and gun shop employees, in no particular order.

Again, which special consideration to Missouri Notaries was discussed? Do they have to make a handstand to get a carry permit? Are they exempt from the need to obtain a carry permit? Do they have a minimum caliber restriction, such as do they need to carry at least a .44 Magnum? Are they not allowed to conceal carry and must carry openly? We have no idea what a bunch of nonsense was discussed by a bunch of gun guys in a recent concealed weapons class in Missouri.

Without any additional information, my default answer would be NO and read up on the corresponding Missouri laws to understand why: Link Removed and Link Removed.

Note that you are guessing as well what the OP actually meant with "special considerations for a Notary who has a concealed weapons permit."

The biggest source of misinformation regarding firearms laws historically have proven themselves to be CCW instructors, LEOs, and gun shop employees, in no particular order.

+1

RSMO:
Firearms training requirements--safety instructorrequirements--penalty for violations.

5. A firearms safety instructor shall be considered to be a qualified firearms safety instructor by any sheriff issuing a concealed carry permit pursuant to sections 571.101 to 571.121 if the instructor:

(1) Is a valid firearms safety instructor certified by the National Rifle Association holding a rating as a personal protection instructor or pistol marksmanship instructor; or

(2) Submits a photocopy of a notarized certificate from a firearms safety instructor's course offered by a local, state, or federal governmental agency; or

(3) Submits a photocopy of a notarized certificate from a firearms safety instructor course approved by the department of public safety; or

(4) Has successfully completed a firearms safety instructor course given by or under the supervision of any state, county, municipal, or federal law enforcement agency; or

(5) Is a certified police officer firearms safety instructor.

6. Any firearms safety instructor qualified under subsection 5 of this section may submit a copy of a training instructor certificate, course outline bearing the notarized signature of the instructor, and a recent photograph of the instructor to the sheriff of the county in which the instructor resides. The sheriff shall review the training instructor certificate along with the course outline and verify the firearms safety instructor is qualified and the course meets the requirements provided under this section. If the sheriff verifies the firearms safety instructor is qualified and the course meets the requirements provided under this section, the sheriff shall collect an annual registration fee of ten dollars from each qualified instructor who chooses to submit such information and submit the registration to the Missouri sheriff methamphetamine relief taskforce. The Missouri sheriff methamphetamine relief taskforce, or its designated agent, shall create and maintain a statewide database of qualified instructors. This information shall be a closed record except for access by any sheriff. Firearms safety instructors may register annually and the registration is only effective for the calendar year in which the instructor registered. Any sheriff may access the statewide database maintained by the Missouri sheriff methamphetamine relief taskforce to verify the firearms safety instructor is qualified and the course offered by the instructor meets the requirements provided under this section. Unless a sheriff has reason to believe otherwise, a sheriff shall presume a firearms safety instructor is qualified to provide firearms safety instruction in counties throughout the state under this section if the instructor is registered on the statewide database of qualified instructors.

I wonder when they last updated their law as their is no
pistol marksmanship instructor
?

My three certificates from the NRA are:
NRA Basic Pistol Course
NRA Instructor, Certified Pistol
NRA Range Safety Officer

Here is a link to the current courses: Link Removed Guess even the laws can be wrong.

It comes to me that had you questioned the instructor that made this statement at the time he made it, YOU would know the answer from the source of confusion. Maybe you should contact the instructor and ask him to clarify this point if it means so much to you. Unless of course it is just easier to ask on-line where you have NO clue who is responding and whether they have any true knowledge of what you are speaking about. Just saying, my pappy always told me to go straight to the horse's mouth, that's the end with a mane NOT the tail.

It comes to me that had you questioned the instructor that made this statement at the time he made it, YOU would know the answer from the source of confusion.

The OP wasn't in the class. He heard it third hand from a student who was in the class.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back