non resident permit lie

crazycathed

a co worker just completed hid CCW class and was looking to get a non resident permit that is honored in alabama where his parents live. the instructor told him there's no state that honors a permit for a state where you don't live. if you go to a state with a non resident permit, even states that say is accepted, it wont be and you'll be arrested and jailed. what is the clarification on this?

Check for reciprocity agreements to determine whether a permit is recognized. Some states accept all permits regardless of reciprocity, others don't recognize any state and some recognize only resident permits. While it is good to check a state's laws you can use the following to help see where permits are recognized:

Concealed Carry Permit Reciprocity Maps

We hold TN CCWs. Just went on a trip that included PA (a reciprocity state). USACarry reciprocity maps & outline of state carry laws say that PA will honor our permit but it's a good idea any time to get a non-res permit if one is available.

We printed the carry laws for each state we were passing thru and put them in the case we would put the guns in if carry wasn't legal. We went to the Sheriff's office in Chester County (just south of Philly) to apply for the non-res permit. After consultation with the office staff, the Sheriff himself talked to us. He said it was just a waste of our money to apply for the non-res permit, and that contrary to the info available on the internet, it would not have been mailed to us, we would have to pick it up in 45 days.

He said printing the laws was a good idea, to make sure to always do that because not all LEOs are informed of the reciprocity but that if we got stopped for any reason, to make sure to show them the printout, and he gave us his card and told us, if they still give you a hassle have them call and talk to me.

On the other hand, he said, if you go into Philadelphia, be sure your weapon is very well-concealed indeed, because Philly cops will hassle anyone they think has a gun, for any reason. We didn't have a problem with that! :sarcastic:

We had an interesting convo with a LEO in NJ, who was wearing a flack vest. I said, It's interesting that you wear that vest in a state where essentially handguns are outlawed. Do you find that the law makes a good deterrant to crime? And he said, "If I had my way, every red-blooded citizen on the street would be carrying. It would make my job SO much easier."

Nikki

We hold TN CCWs. Just went on a trip that included PA (a reciprocity state). USACarry reciprocity maps & outline of state carry laws say that PA will honor our permit but it's a good idea any time to get a non-res permit if one is available.

We printed the carry laws for each state we were passing thru and put them in the case we would put the guns in if carry wasn't legal. We went to the Sheriff's office in Chester County (just south of Philly) to apply for the non-res permit. After consultation with the office staff, the Sheriff himself talked to us. He said it was just a waste of our money to apply for the non-res permit, and that contrary to the info available on the internet, it would not have been mailed to us, we would have to pick it up in 45 days.

He said printing the laws was a good idea, to make sure to always do that because not all LEOs are informed of the reciprocity but that if we got stopped for any reason, to make sure to show them the printout, and he gave us his card and told us, if they still give you a hassle have them call and talk to me.

On the other hand, he said, if you go into Philadelphia, be sure your weapon is very well-concealed indeed, because Philly cops will hassle anyone they think has a gun, for any reason. We didn't have a problem with that! :sarcastic:

We had an interesting convo with a LEO in NJ, who was wearing a flack vest. I said, It's interesting that you wear that vest in a state where essentially handguns are outlawed. Do you find that the law makes a good deterrant to crime? And he said, "If I had my way, every red-blooded citizen on the street would be carrying. It would make my job SO much easier."

Nikki

If you still want a PA license...go thru Centre County...He does the whole thing thru the mail.

If you still want a PA license...go thru Centre County...He does the whole thing thru the mail.

I hope so because I am getting ready to send off for a PA non-res permit myself. I printed out the online form from Centre Co. and should be mailing it off to them next week. I would hate to get a letter from PA telling me I needed to make a trip there to get my permit. :blink:

I hope so because I am getting ready to send off for a PA non-res permit myself. I printed out the online form from Centre Co. and should be mailing it off to them next week. I would hate to get a letter from PA telling me I needed to make a trip there to get my permit. :blink:

Centre County does do everything through the mail, and it usually only takes a week to 10 days for a permit. If you are in doubt, check the Centre County Sheriff's Office. It says so right on the web site.

a co worker just completed hid CCW class and was looking to get a non resident permit that is honored in alabama where his parents live. the instructor told him there's no state that honors a permit for a state where you don't live. if you go to a state with a non resident permit, even states that say is accepted, it wont be and you'll be arrested and jailed. what is the clarification on this?

The instructor could not be more wrong. There are MANY states that issue non-resident permits and a large number of states that honor non-resident permits. Many states also post reciprocity lists on their website, or a call to the pistol unit of that state would get you the same results.

There are some states that honor only resident permits (ie. New Hampshire) and there are some states that issue no other permits but their own. (ie. New York)

While this information is posted all over the web, before traveling check it out for yourself. If possible print the reciprocity agreements and carry them with you. An officer who is not familiar with reciprocity is not going to want to hear "I read my permit is valid here on the internet officer." Confirm agreements before you travel.

Centre County does do everything through the mail, and it usually only takes a week to 10 days for a permit. If you are in doubt, check the Centre County Sheriff's Office. It says so right on the web site.

Thats a fast turn around for a carry permit. Sweet! Yeah Im not really worried about it. Everything Ive read says they do it all through the mail. Thanks for the speedy reply to my post tho!

Cath, you can also track the reciprocity you'll bump into on a trip by tracing your route Link Removed. Check it out.

ok speaking of reiprocity i plan on a trip to Pa very soon. I will be traveling through Indiana, Ohio, West Virginia and into Pennsylvania. I Have a Kentucky resdent ccdw permit and have checked and all those states honor my permit. The question is this: according to the federal statutes concerning transportation of firearms through states it says that all firearms must be unloaded with the ammo and firearms stored in a seperate compartment or locked in a container seperate from the ammo ect. So how is one to carry concealed while traveling and still follow the federal laws? Seems to me that you are not allowed to cc while traveling but you can while stopped at any point along the way and once you reach your destination. It would seem that this could possibly put you in a bad situation if seen "arming" yourself while stopped by either an idividual citezen, read man with gun call to 911, a leo or god forbid a bg. Any help and advice?

You can travel with a CCW. The federal code comes into play when transporting a firearm through a state where you do not have a permit. Nothing stops you from traveling if your permit is honored in the states that you will be traveling through.

You only have to follow the rules under the Firearm Owners Protection Act if you want to be protected by it from state laws. If you are carrying with a valid permit honored by the states you are visiting, than you can carry handguns (rifles and shotguns should still be transported unloaded, in the trunk, etc. if you are passing through multiple jurisdictions). In that case, you are not violating any state laws to begin with.

The FOPA was meant so that you could travel with firearms without restriction from state to state. If you are traveling across state lines into a bordering state that honors your CCW permit, then you don't need to transport unloaded, cased, etc. However, if you are crossing, even temporarily, into a state that does not honor your permit, then you'd better have it unloaded, cased, and in the trunk if you want to avoid legal trouble.

This instructor must be one of Tommy Chong's good buddies.

The only caveat with Alabama is the AG's opinion which is unofficial on non-resident CCWs.

I was pulled over in Bonneville County ID a few years ago, I was cut loose after they ran my non-resident Utah CFP. It was a fishing expedition. The ID AG and SP also clarified their FAQs on the issue so there should be no more confusion.

I was carrying three pistols on me when I was rear ended in Tukwila WA (about 20 minutes north of the Seatac airport) returning my rental car last August. I handed the responding officer my Utah CFP along with my NV CDL and my rental car agreement. He handed back my Utah CFP and kept the rest of the documents to complete the collision report. Apparently the WA LEOs are well aware of the RCW for reciprocity and what States are on it. Also keep in mind WA has been shall issue since 1961 so they're use to people packing there. It was no big deal for him I was carrying.

The only States which do not specifically honor non-resident CCWs by code, law or statute are CO, FL, MI, NH and SC.

ok speaking of reiprocity i plan on a trip to Pa very soon. I will be traveling through Indiana, Ohio, West Virginia and into Pennsylvania. I Have a Kentucky resdent ccdw permit and have checked and all those states honor my permit. The question is this: according to the federal statutes concerning transportation of firearms through states it says that all firearms must be unloaded with the ammo and firearms stored in a seperate compartment or locked in a container seperate from the ammo ect. So how is one to carry concealed while traveling and still follow the federal laws? Seems to me that you are not allowed to cc while traveling but you can while stopped at any point along the way and once you reach your destination. It would seem that this could possibly put you in a bad situation if seen "arming" yourself while stopped by either an idividual citezen, read man with gun call to 911, a leo or god forbid a bg. Any help and advice?
The federal law comes into play when you cannot legally carry concealed or openly when crossing State lines. I'm perfectly legal on my Nevada CFP traveling into all bordering States except CA and OR since they don't honor my Nevada CFP.

Thanks guys. I was thinking along those same lines but just wanted some clarification. Nice to know i can travel with a bit of peace of mind . Hope you all have a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Is this question real??

This supposed instructor is not very well informed.

Either that or the "friend" misunderstood. Several references are provided above disputing this.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back