Non resident open carry in MI

hyrczyk

Hi I am new here and after some searching around still haven't found the answer to this. Can some one from out of state(WI) open carry in MI? More specifically to camp grounds/while hiking up in Lake of The Clouds area and places like that.

Here's some info.

This is the info from Traveler's Guide to the Firearms Laws of the Fifty States, 2008 edition, by J. Scott. Kappas. Esq.

Please keep in mind that I am not a lawyer. The author is, but the following statement must not be used as legal advice. Still, you had best consult with a firearms attorney in Michigan.

Quote:

Open carry: unrestricted under state law: however, very uncommon except in rural areas.

Close Quote

You might want to Google any Michigan-based firearms forums, or perhaps lawyer firearms Michigan.

My personal opinion: if it is very uncommon, you will be hassled. The local police, if they cannot charge you with a firearms offense, will find some other statute with which to charge you.

This is the info from Traveler's Guide to the Firearms Laws of the Fifty States, 2008 edition, by J. Scott. Kappas. Esq.

Please keep in mind that I am not a lawyer. The author is, but the following statement must not be used as legal advice. Still, you had best consult with a firearms attorney in Michigan.

Quote:

Open carry: unrestricted under state law: however, very uncommon except in rural areas.

Close Quote

You might want to Google any Michigan-based firearms forums, or perhaps lawyer firearms Michigan.

My personal opinion: if it is very uncommon, you will be hassled. The local police, if they cannot charge you with a firearms offense, will find some other statute with which to charge you.

Thats a big 10-4 on that one. My permits allow me to carry concealed in Michigan, even though I live in Indiana, but I would not push that open carry issue if I did not live in that state.:no:

I really don't know where this site got this Opinion.
You being from WI you will need to get an out of state carry license and can OC only here.

750.234d (2) This section does not apply to any of the following:... (c) An individual licensed by this state or another state to carry a concealed weapon.

Some states you can get an out of state license are Pennsylvania, Minnesota, Iowa, Florida and Utah.

Important update be sure to read ahead post #22 (No pistols from WI in MI

Important update: be sure to read ahead post #22 (No pistols from WI in MI)

Thanks for the info. I will have to look into the OC permit then.

States will have CC or CC/OC permit. So don't be confused no one will have an OC permit.

Mich laws are strange our OC law says you need a CC permit to OC if your a non resident.

States will have CC or CC/OC permit. So don't be confused no one will have an OC permit.

Mich laws are strange our OC law says you need a CC permit to OC if your a non resident.

How does this work if your state (WI) doesn't have a CC permit? I thought a non resident you couldn't get a CC in MI.

How does this work if your state (WI) doesn't have a CC permit? I thought a non resident you couldn't get a CC in MI.
Correct you can not get a permit from Mich. thats why I listed Pennsylvania, Minnesota, Iowa, Florida and Utah.
:smile:

Hi I am new here and after some searching around still haven't found the answer to this. Can some one from out of state(WI) open carry in MI? More specifically to camp grounds/while hiking up in Lake of The Clouds area and places like that.

You can open carry or conceal carry in Michigan if you have a license or permit to carry in your home state. With a non resident permit you may only OC.

When OCing with a non resident permit you must follow MCL 750.2345d. Make sure you fully understand this law. It refers to all firearms not just handguns. The biggest part to pay attention to is that you can not possess a firearm on the premises of ANY place that sells alcohol. This means bars, Krogers, Walmart, gas stations. If you have a concealed permit issued by your state this law does not apply to you.

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(5h...g.aspx?page=GetObject&objectname=mcl-750-234d

My two permits cover me to CC in Michigan, and I'll stick to that.

Contrary to what the book says,Open carry is very common and widely supported in MI,ive OC'd everywhere from detroit to delta county.

To carry a handgun in Michigan you need some sort of permit or registration,so things like a purchase permit or a FOID would also count.

michigan only recognizes RESIDENT permits from out of state,so if your from one state and have a permit from a different state,you may not carry in Michigan.

Long arm carry is legal in MI too,no permit needed,but generally not reccomended in populated areas.

You can open carry or conceal carry in Michigan if you have a license or permit to carry in your home state. WI does not have permits(hyrczyk knows this)
With a non resident permit you may only OC. Yes.
When OCing with a non resident permit you must follow MCL 750.2345d. No. "750.234d (2) This section does not apply to any of the following:... (c) An individual licensed by this state or another state to carry a concealed weapon."
Make sure you fully understand this law. It refers to all firearms not just handguns. The biggest part to pay attention to is that you can not possess a firearm on the premises of ANY place that sells alcohol. This means bars, Krogers, Walmart, gas stations. If you have a concealed permit issued by your state this law does not apply to you. Notice 750.234d does not say anything about "issued by your state of residence".Not all Michigan LEO's know this either so you may choose to avoid places that sell alcohol to avoid hassle but by the exact wording of the law you can.

Michigan Legislature - Section 750.234d

My comments in red.

Does Michigan honor any state ccw? Even if the home state does not have reciprocity?
I have NY license. NY honors no other state's ccw.

Thanks for all the info so far. I only planned on OCing while in the woods camping/hiking with my wife a very little ones. Only time I go to the UP other than to snowmobile but then the pistol is secured in my pack pack unloaded.

My two permits cover me to CC in Michigan, and I'll stick to that.

Two permits? Michigan only recognizes resident permits. If you have non-resident permits, they don't count. But as you appear to be from Indiana, I presume you have an Indiana permit, that would work here. :smile:

NO!

In fact you can't bring your pistol to Michigan. (rifle and shotgun are okay i believe)

according to the michigan state police web page

Link Removed

"Without a CPL, a non-resident may not have a pistol in Michigan."

question 2 under Firearms Related Questions.

sorry

NO!

In fact you can't bring your pistol to Michigan. (rifle and shotgun are okay i believe)

according to the michigan state police web page

Link Removed

"Without a CPL, a non-resident may not have a (should have the word Concealed here)pistol in Michigan."

question 2 under Firearms Related Questions.

sorry
1st you should never get legal advice from police.
2nd what MSP posted there is their opinion.
3rd What you read is our Concealed Pistol Law, we are talking OC here.
I just think that MSP web page is a joke. :sarcastic:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back