Non-citizen with permit but no CCW in SC - where can I carry?

We reciprocate with NC so you're good to go carrying concealed just make sure you've got your NC permit in your possession.

Unfortunately, that's the challenge--the OP can't get a permit from NC either.

I am from NC myself, German, non res alien and currently carry with a UT non res permit here in NC.

Totally confused by your status! Have you gained US citizenship or are you still a non-resident alien? If so, what category?

I have looked into UT - the only thing I fail the UT test on is having a CCW permit from your original state of residence i.e. NC - which I can't obtain one on through not being a US citizen yet.

How have you managed to get a UT permit?

I'm a resident of Pennsylvania, and do have a PA license to carry. I also have a Florida CCW license (as a non-resident). With those two licenses I'm able to carry in 36 states. My current duty station is in Illinois, which unfortunately doesn't recognize licenses from any other state and requires me to be a resident to obtain their license.

Were you able to obtain a license or permit from any other state? Or have you found most require you to be a citizen as well?

They need to pass a law giving active servicemen/women national coverage like the police. Strange how being based somewhere even on a military base they don't consider that being resident.

I have a VA non-resident permit in progress. Got denied twice and had to contact Virginia State Police internal affairs in order to remind them they were violating my civil rights! Imagine a non-citizen having a gun! How dare he exercise the right of self-defence!

Resident in NC, am able/have a pistol purchase permit for NC. I can't get a CCW permit for SC (don't own property or reside there). SC only recognise the resident CCW permits, which rules me out for this state.

Since you are a resident of North Carolina, why do you want a Carry Permit for South Carolina? Wouldn't you want one for North Carolina?

Note, there are reasons why I am asking these questions. State firearm laws differ dramatically, are complex, and sometimes even in conflict with federal law until challenged. For example, in my state, Tennessee, Permanent Resident Aliens that are residents of Tennessee can get a Handgun Carry Permit and the reciprocity that comes with it. However, the state of New Mexico did not issue Carry Permits to non-citizens and only honored reciprocity for US citizens. There was a Permanent Injunction issued by the US District Court just this April, forcing New Mexico to issue carry permits to Permanent Resident Aliens.

We reciprocate with NC so you're good to go carrying concealed just make sure you've got your NC permit in your possession.

Read his statement again. He cannot get a NC CHP because the law states that an applicant for a carry permit must be a US Citizen. Doesn't make sense to me, let someone buy a gun, but not carry it. But like many laws, they don't make sense.

Hi all,

I'm from the UK and have a purchase permit in NC but no CCW / CHP. I have lawful permanent residency as the wife is American and I have various rights, one being 2nd amendment.

I notice SC is NOT an open-carry state, but concealing a firearm must be in conjunction with a CCW permit, which I cannot obtain in SC. I have applied for a VA permit (after being refused twice and contacting IA which made them do a 180). I'm not a citizen and therefore unable to get a CHP in NC.

My question is - just where can I carry my gun in SC if I can't lawfully open or concealed carry it!

Thanks

Is your wife military? Are you at Fort Bragg?

Are you in the RTP?

Do you have a green card?

Read his statement again. He cannot get a NC CHP because the law states that an applicant for a carry permit must be a US Citizen. Doesn't make sense to me, let someone buy a gun, but not carry it. But like many laws, they don't make sense.

I didn't quite get that either, esp. since in other states they wouldn't have a problem with it. Open carry is not something I'd particularly want to do, through drawing unwanted attention, and then being asked to leave places. Just unnecessary hassle.

Is your wife military? Are you at Fort Bragg?

Are you in the RTP?

Do you have a green card?

Nah, wife wasn't military but met her back in the UK. I come from a UK LEO background.

And we are in the RTP area. I have a green card, or otherwise known as (in my case conditional) permanent residency. We have to petition USCIS before my 2 year anniversary of arriving here to show we're still married as we arrived a few weeks before our 2nd wedding anniversary. Wish I'd known the conditional removal fees, as us arriving 2 weeks later would have saved us over $500 in fees in just under 2 years time.

Also, was after a SC permit as it is a great place to holiday. Better laws than NC in some way on this front i.e. being able to conceal anything - only exception is large pocket knives on school property and knives when used in crime. Obviously, the silly one is not recognising any OoS permits.

Have you ever had an encounter with a LEO while carrying (where you by law advised you were armed)? Does your UT permit list your NC address? If I move even within the same county, I have to get my NC CHP updated to show my new address within 30 days. So it seems NC is a real stickler about permit and ID addresses matching.

To date I have had 3, they were all fine. Address matches on mine.

To date I have had 3, they were all fine. Address matches on mine.

Thanks, I was curious, as the question came up on a different forum. Of course that guy was just trying to save a few bucks by getting a $50 permit instead of a $90 NC permit. Basically the cost of a couple of boxes of ammo.

Nah, wife wasn't military but met her back in the UK. I come from a UK LEO background.

And we are in the RTP area. I have a green card, or otherwise known as (in my case conditional) permanent residency. We have to petition USCIS before my 2 year anniversary of arriving here to show we're still married as we arrived a few weeks before our 2nd wedding anniversary. Wish I'd known the conditional removal fees, as us arriving 2 weeks later would have saved us over $500 in fees in just under 2 years time.

Also, was after a SC permit as it is a great place to holiday. Better laws than NC in some way on this front i.e. being able to conceal anything - only exception is large pocket knives on school property and knives when used in crime. Obviously, the silly one is not recognizing any OoS permits.

My ex-wife is from New Castle. Met her when I was laid-up in a hospital in Northumbria some years ago, she was my nurse - we were married for 24 yrs. My second wife, my current wife, the one I've got to live with for the rest of my days ... I met her in Italy, Padua actually. So I understand what you are going through. You'll find you have many more rights here than I had over there, either time.

I'm surprised you've not already gotten a permit in NC. Making you jumps through some hoops are they? Hang in there. It's a state by state thing. And remember, when you come here for Holiday you are granted peaceable journey ... so you can have your firearm in your car - the rest of the time just use good common sense and you'll be fine. You know the deal. No one should know it's there unless you have to use it and then, if you do, better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

I seriously doubt you'll ever run into that kind of trouble in SC. We're pretty darn friendly down here. Which holiday spot is your favorite in SC?

My ex-wife is from New Castle. Met her when I was laid-up in a hospital in Northumbria some years ago, she was my nurse - we were married for 24 yrs. My second wife, my current wife, the one I've got to live with for the rest of my days ... I met her in Italy, Padua actually. So I understand what you are going through. You'll find you have many more rights here than I had over there, either time.

I'm surprised you've not already gotten a permit in NC. Making you jumps through some hoops are they? Hang in there. It's a state by state thing. And remember, when you come here for Holiday you are granted peaceable journey ... so you can have your firearm in your car - the rest of the time just use good common sense and you'll be fine. You know the deal. No one should know it's there unless you have to use it and then, if you do, better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

I seriously doubt you'll ever run into that kind of trouble in SC. We're pretty darn friendly down here. Which holiday spot is your favorite in SC?

I'm assuming you were US military based in the UK at one point?

I've already got an NC owner's/purchase permit - just not the CCW because of the law. My first time in SC will be today, but I'm just going off the wife's recommendations! We're going to Myrtle Beach tomorrow and also a gun/knife show near Charleston on Saturday. End of the day, something as simple as pocket knife being carried in the UK is not necessarily illegal, but if you tell the officer it's for "self defence", it's slap - ratchet and double locked for your comfort (in theory). You at least get more freedoms here in terms of self-defence.

Thanks, I was curious, as the question came up on a different forum. Of course that guy was just trying to save a few bucks by getting a $50 permit instead of a $90 NC permit. Basically the cost of a couple of boxes of ammo.

I know, I am on that forum, too ;-)

Thanks, all. This has been a huge help. I'm heading down from Pennsylvania and will be in a condo. The SC statehouse site is down but I was able to look at Handgunlaw.us. Looks like I can travel with the gun in a locked case (or unlocked, just secured with "fasteners"?) in the trunk and keep it in my condo. I did not see a mention of any requirement the gun be unloaded or ammo be packed in any certain way.

I'm assuming you were US military based in the UK at one point? And well done with the Italian wife - Italian women are gorgeous!

I've already got an NC owner's/purchase permit - just not the CCW because of the law. My first time in SC will be today, but I'm just going off the wife's recommendations! We're going to Myrtle Beach tomorrow and also a gun/knife show near Charleston on Saturday. End of the day, something as simple as pocket knife being carried in the UK is not necessarily illegal, but if you tell the officer it's for "self defence", it's slap - ratchet and double locked for your comfort (in theory). You at least get more freedoms here in terms of self-defence.

You're good here. Switchblades/Automatics are legal ... and we've got peaceable journey. You're not going to have any problems at either Myrtle Beach or Charleston, trust me. No danger in either place.

I was stationed in Vicenza, Italy when I met my first wife many many years ago. But was attached to your SAS when I was hurt just west of Belfast and choppered back to their hospital where I met Mary. I actually took part in the 1984 D-Day Anniversary ceremony before I left the UK. Got to stand about ten meters from Ronnie and Maggie there at St Mere E'glise.

I was working for Finn Mechanica in Naples, still married, when I happened to meet my second wife while visiting friends in Venice over a decade ago ... ironically she now works for Finn Mechanica here in SC and I am retired. She's quite a bit younger than I ... dark haired tall and emerald green-eyed love of my life, but feisty. Thank you ... I'll share the compliment with her. She gave me my son ... I had three daughters from my first marriage.

Northern Italian women ... I agree, they have good genes most definitely. Hell, I've got a crush on my mother-in-law and she's eight years older than me. It's the olive oil and the wine I think.

My former MIL though ... a good Presbyterian Hartlepool woman, was very attractive for her age. There are some beautiful women in the UK too. My first wife was ... before she went cray cray.

Enjoy your holiday here in our lovely Palmetto State. Make the best of both worlds ... live in SC and work in NC like they do between Charlotte and Rockhill.

Here is a list of states that SC recognizes for Concealed Carry. However, SLED is sometimes slow in updating their list. Just give them a call and ask for regulatory.

Link Removed

South Carolina Reciprocity

RECIPROCITY

Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Florida, Idaho (Enhanced Only), Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Missouri, New Mexico, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Texas, Tennessee, Virginia, West Virginia, and Wyoming.

Residents of reciprocal states who hold permits issued by their states of residence may carry concealed firearms in South Carolina, but must abide by the restrictions in the South Carolina CWP law. For that reason, out of state residents of reciprocal states should familiarize themselves with restricted carry locations and other provisions of South Carolina law posted on this website. South Carolina permittees who carry firearms in reciprocal states are likewise responsible for familiarizing themselves with the applicable laws and regulations of the reciprocal state. Web sites of those states may be accessed by selecting the desired state name listed above.

SLED Headquarters | 4400 Broad River Road | Columbia, SC 29210

for an out of state permit to be honored in SC it MUST be a RESIDENT permit. SC will not honor non resident permits. for example many NYers have FLA permits. SC will not honor those permits.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back