No weapons allowed signs

slo-ls1

According to the Colorado Senate bill: http://www.leg.state.co.us/2003a/inetcbill.nsf/fsbillcont/D6D2AD9E8974917C87256C6B005D4177?Open&file=024_enr.pdf Page 17, section 18-12-214 carry is not allowed on any school property, anyplace prohibited by federal law or have security personal or metal detectors.

So my question is what about places of business that post "no weapons allows on premise" signs? What about places that have it in the code of conduct but not posted at the door, ie a mall.

According to the Colorado Senate bill: http://www.leg.state.co.us/2003a/inetcbill.nsf/fsbillcont/D6D2AD9E8974917C87256C6B005D4177?Open&file=024_enr.pdf Page 17, section 18-12-214 carry is not allowed on any school property, anyplace prohibited by federal law or have security personal or metal detectors.

So my question is what about places of business that post "no weapons allows on premise" signs? What about places that have it in the code of conduct but not posted at the door, ie a mall.

Depending on the state law on the signs, in Tn. it is the same as carrying in a state or Federal building, but here in Fl. it doesn't mean a thing ,if you are made the owner can ask you to leave and if you don't call the police and have you charged with trespassing , which amounts to Armed Trespassing.

I did not know of any Federal law that prevents a CHL holder from entering a school. I know in the state of Oregon that is not problem.

First of all, I never look at a bill because it may have changed since the bill was passed. I look at the current statute which is Link Removed.

Signage has no force of law in CO other than simple trespass. If you're made, asked to leave and refuse to do so then you could be arrested or cited for trespassing. I only pay attention to signage if it has force of law outside of simple trespass. Having such signage when it has no force of law has the same effect as telling me what color and style my socks and underwear should be. :sarcastic:

I did not know of any Federal law that prevents a CHL holder from entering a school. I know in the state of Oregon that is not problem.

It is required, however, to have a CHL from the state the school is located in. So, in Oregon, only an Oregon CHL would exempt you from the Federal school zone law, any other state permit, even if recognized by Oregon, would not count.

We were taught in my CCW class that in Colorado, the sign does not have any real law behind it, however if you do ignore it and then the business can and will (if the see the gun) ask you to leave, if you refuse you can be arrested for trespassing and can possibly loose your ccw permit.

If you are going to put up a sign that states no weapons allowed, don't you need to also define what a weapon is. I'm willing to bet eveyrone in the store has a weapon on them by definition. :sarcastic:

I believe it might be different for every state. For example, I seem to remember that in ND (where I live) the sign needs to have the EXACT words the law says it needs to have, otherwise it doens't mean a thing. The signs that mean something have to say "(such and such business) bans weapons on this premesis." if it doens't say that, (or whatever the exact wording is) then it has no power. I could be completely wrong, but thats what I seem to remember. So, a sign with a handgun and a red circle with a line through it would mean nothing.

In SC the sign has to be a certain size, the letters a certain color, and the circle with a slash through the handgun has to be just right too. The shops and malls I've seen with signs don't meet the legal standards so as long as your weapon is concealed you're obeying the law regarding the CWP.

TX Law allows owenrs to post no carrying of a weapon, then they must reference the law. (It is spelled out in the statute) So I would say that it depends on the state. And in some cases YES signs DO have laws behind them

I turn around and walk back out, never to return.

To me, it's not a question of legality, it's a question of ethics. Just because it is LEGAL to do something, it does not necessarily mean that it is the RIGHT thing to do.

As the property owner, or their designated representative, they have EVERY right to state what is allowable or not allowed on their property. If I disagree with their decisions, since I do NOT have to be there I can just LEAVE.

I do not agree with the concept of denying someone of their right as the land owner, business manager, renter, ... to control their property and the actions that take place on it just so I can exercise MY personal right to carry a concealed firearm. I believe that is hypocritical to the extreme and my personal hypocrisy does not go quite that far.

In my opinion the only people that pay attention to the rules and the signs are the people that you really do want having a handgun. Last time I looked criminals or people that intend to commit a crime or do someone harm do not care about laws or signs. One of the few good things about NY is that we do not have the signs and are restricted to very few places where we can not carry handgun. I understand some businesses may not like knowing their patrons are armed but at the same time requests or rules like that are made out of someones fear and will never be obeyed by criminals. Just my two cents that haven't been taken as taxes yet lol.

In N.C. all schools, gub buildings, and POffices are completely off limits--gun free zones. On a personal note, if there is a sign on the door my money goes elsewhere and I try to make sure the owner knows it. Have had good results by doing this.

No Guns allowed signs

In N.C. all schools, gub buildings, and POffices are completely off limits--gun free zones. On a personal note, if there is a sign on the door my money goes elsewhere and I try to make sure the owner knows it. Have had good results by doing this.

I havent been carrying for long and have yet to see a sign (other then the Bank, School, Fed building) that has the sign, but I would try and respect their wishes, but I think it's important to let the store owner why they will not get my $$$, and shop elsewhere, vs just not going in.

What I was told in my CCW class in TN is that signs have to be posted on "every" entrance. If there is even one entrance that you may legally enter through that is without a sign then all you have to do is enter through it. Our instructor made it very clear that it is “legal” to enter this way, but there are always problems of getting the wrong cop and judge and then having to spend time and money to win.

(of course my paperwork was lost by the state and I never got my permit,):mad:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back