No firearms signs and printing.

Ur-Knight

Im fairly new to CC in S.C.. I recently been to the Columbia airport several times and I noticed on the sliding glass doors a no firearms sign, that seems nothing like the one shown in my CWP class, therefore as for what I shown in the class it does not come close, is this sign legal at the airport and to my understanding what you cant do is go pass security check pionts, so would it be ok to CC when picking up or dropping off passengers in the building. I just leave my firearm in my car when Im there.
I have searched for info on printing when CC and I havent found much on this topic, I am carefull I when conceal carrying, not to show (print) and have not had any issues with this when Im out and about, but on a legal stand piont, any one have any feed back on this or a LEO piont of view.
I would appreciate feed back.

In SC if a business is posted with signs that meet the requirements spelled out in the laws it means that if you are caught with a gun beyond the signs then you can immediately be arrested and charged without having to be asked to leave. The signs are sufficient notification and no other nother request to leave is needed.

If the signs (of which I have seen quite a few, usually in places that do not need them such as hospitals) do not meet the standards set out in the law then you must be asked to leave before you can be arrested. Only if they ask you to leave and you do not can you be charged. In a place such as the CAE airport the security guard will probably want to show his authority and claim to have you arrested without asking you to leave but that is not what the law says. Only if the sign meets the standard does it apply. Remember that if you are asked to leave and you do not you can be charged whether you have a gun or not.

As for printing there is nothing in the laws concerning it and I have not heard any actual rulings on it. The law just says concealed under normal wear of clothing. A bulge under your shirt is one thing but an exact outline of a gun in your pocket could call for a court decision at your expense.

I hope this helps.

It doesn't matter if the sign is legit or not if it is in a place you're not allowed to carry anyway. Airports and Hospitals are two of those places. The right sign, the wrong sign or NO sign, you can't carry anyway so don't get wrapped up in 'it's not the official sign' argument.

Now, if it's a general store with the wrong sign, that's when you would be asked to leave.

In the case where there was a sign on the door, albeit the wrong type of sign, I don't think I would mention that I saw the sign but since it was the wrong type of sign, I ignored it. I wouldn't want to be a test case on a judge's bad day. Being responsible is a big part of CC and ignoring the store owners wish's just because they are not displyed 'exactly' the way they should be is just pushing the issue too far, in my opinion.

KK

It doesn't matter if the sign is legit or not if it is in a place you're not allowed to carry anyway. Airports and Hospitals are two of those places. The right sign, the wrong sign or NO sign, you can't carry anyway so don't get wrapped up in 'it's not the official sign' argument.

Now, if it's a general store with the wrong sign, that's when you would be asked to leave.

In the case where there was a sign on the door, albeit the wrong type of sign, I don't think I would mention that I saw the sign but since it was the wrong type of sign, I ignored it. I wouldn't want to be a test case on a judge's bad day. Being responsible is a big part of CC and ignoring the store owners wish's just because they are not displayed 'exactly' the way they should be is just pushing the issue too far, in my opinion.

KK

This is the exact maturity and mindset that a CC person should have. I always give the doors and windows of a business a quick scan and if I see the official "Gunbuster" sign, I drop off my Link Removedcard and leave, otherwise I just keep going. I scan so fast that I might miss a non-official sign and that's why it is necessary to leave when asked and not stand and argue about the type of sign. It is not worth your permit to be "right" about the sign! On my way out the door, though, I would make sure to thank him and hand him the same card as above. ;)

Airports in SC are not automatically off limits, according to Link Removed

Certainly the secure area is, but unless posted, you can carry into the airport. And God bless SC for mandating sign dimensions and language:
SECTION 23-31-235. Sign requirements.

(A) Notwithstanding any other provision of this article, any requirement of or allowance for the posting of signs prohibiting the carrying of a concealable weapon upon any premises shall only be satisfied by a sign expressing the prohibition in both written language interdict and universal sign language.

(B) All signs must be posted at each entrance into a building where a concealable weapon permit holder is prohibited from carrying a concealable weapon and must be:

(1) clearly visible from outside the building;

(2) eight inches wide by twelve inches tall in size;

(3) contain the words “NO CONCEALABLE WEAPONS ALLOWED” in black one inch tall uppercase type at the bottom of the sign and centered between the lateral edges of the sign;

(4) contain a black silhouette of a handgun inside a circle seven inches in diameter with a diagonal line that runs from the lower left to the upper right at a forty five degree angle from the horizontal;

(5) a diameter of a circle; and

(6) placed not less than forty inches and not more than sixty inches from the bottom of the building’s entrance door.

(C) If the premises where concealable weapons are prohibited does not have doors, then the signs contained in subsection (A) must be:

(1) thirty six inches wide by forty eight inches tall in size;

(2) contain the words “NO CONCEALABLE WEAPONS ALLOWED” in black three inch tall uppercase type at the bottom of the sign and centered between the lateral edges of the sign;

(3) contain a black silhouette of a handgun inside a circle thirty four inches in diameter with a diagonal line that is two inches wide and runs from the lower left to the upper right at a forty five degree angle from the horizontal and must be a diameter of a circle whose circumference is two inches wide;

(4) placed not less than forty inches and not more than ninety six inches above the ground;

(5) posted in sufficient quantities to be clearly visible from any point of entry onto the premises.

This is the exact maturity and mindset that a CC person should have. I always give the doors and windows of a business a quick scan and if I see the official "Gunbuster" sign, I drop off my Link Removedcard and leave, otherwise I just keep going. I scan so fast that I might miss a non-official sign and that's why it is necessary to leave when asked and not stand and argue about the type of sign. It is not worth your permit to be "right" about the sign! On my way out the door, though, I would make sure to thank him and hand him the same card as above. ;)

If they ask you to leave then you must leave no matter if a sign is posted or not. Just because there is no sign it does not mean that they cannot ask you to go. It just means that you cannot be arrested and charged unless you are asked to leave. If a legal sign is posted and you are discovered to be carrying you can immediately be arrested without being asked to leave. So if you are asked to leave and you stand around arguing about the sign then you are in violation of the trespass law and can be arrested.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back