News: Students and Faculty Shook Up Over Emergency Drill

It had better be a gun free zone if your going to pull a stupid stunt like this. If someone pulls a gun on me they are probably going to be in a gun fight. I don't care what color the gun is. Hell, I've seen pictures of a pink hello kitty gun.

Hawaii is for the most part a "gun free" zone. The law does not allow us to legally carry a firearm. If I was the professor, the guy would probably have a few extra holes in him from my pocket knife. The blade goes with me here in Hawaii, and on the road as a "back up". Never know when you'll need it.

gf

Hawaii is for the most part a "gun free" zone. The law does not allow us to legally carry a firearm. If I was the professor, the guy would probably have a few extra holes in him from my pocket knife. The blade goes with me here in Hawaii, and on the road as a "back up". Never know when you'll need it.

gf
Can you carry throwing knives or spikes in Hawaii?

Not sure about "throwing" varieties. It's kind of a gray area. I do know that folding knives less than 4" in blade length are o.k.

gf

What a crazy story. This was probably thought up by the college administrators rather than the local police. I am a university student signed up for our text and email alert system, but I always have my phone off in class. Its a big security hole I hadn't thought about. We cannot legally carry on campus, and I do not, but these stories about shootings, and even drills, sure makes me wonder what I should be doing. I will continue to abide by the law, but this kind of crap better never happen in my department (Everyone is armed with knives).

This 'tactical drill' no more than a demonstration to all the students of the lack of intelligence of both administrators and police. I hope someone puts the officers on report. Every "drill" I've ever been involved with or witnessed included heavy communication with everyone, quasi staged realistic environments, media involvment and controlled areas. I could have seen a class being asked to participate and the building being set up to allow a drill with full understanding, practice, and control of the drill. These officers and administration involved showed huge negligence. It drove home to me once more the importance of weapons identification as much as possible. A situation like that here in Utah would have merited the undercover looking down my barrel as I procede to advise him that he is going to be seeing a hollowpoint fairly quick. Whether it meritted a shot or not would have depended on continued actions. Especially with a painted gun. I certainly would not treat it as a training gun in an unknown situation like this. It probably would have bought the person a second or two before they met defensive action. The sheer fact that they thought cell phone messages was enough is inexcusable. In actual drills done by people who actually know what the blank they are doing, everyone involved reads and signs that they know and the campus or facility is informed heavily in the media and other forms of communication, just in case. Irregardless all those involved know its a drill and those who dont are outside the perimiter and notified by local individuals or law enforcment as they approach. Amazing the stupidity. If someone would have drawn and shot that officer, they would have probably met huge fines and jail time, because they were carrying illegally and they shot an officer. I always keep my cell on during class just on vibrate. The teachers ask us to turn them off, but I think its safer to have them on or put them on silent as most cells have this feature now. Mine has an auto dial and e-911 locator. So even if I'm down for the count I am one button away from the cavalry hearing what is going on and sending help!!! :)

I do have to admit it's different when you're a student. I live in Utah and, as mentioned in the article, Utah allows CCW on college campuses.

Frankly, it's quite a nice feeling sitting in class knowing that you are 1 of 3-4 students legally carrying.

I went and talked to the campus police and asked them for definite answers about carrying on campus. The response was, "Right on, we like your type!" They just told me that I could carry in class if I wanted to but preferred that I didn't. Their only reasoning on this is that out-of-state students aren't aware of Utah CCW laws and they panic if they hear anything about a student with a gun. (Nobody should know anyway but I guess it's happened that a gun became visible in class and some complaints were made.)

Yep, up here at Utah State University, the campus police are fairly positive about it, or indifferent. I've had similar comments from most of them, a few more towards the negative, but just based on perspective. I choose my weapon and method to fit deep concealment. That way there should never be issues. I've had two times while carrying a different gun that it became visible split second and unusual circumstance, but I quickly modified my methods to prevent issues from EVER happening again. Students in universities are already tense, I dont want to add to that tension. Nothing like LEO to only hear, "Man with Gun in classroom" over the phone, to cause drastic problems. If you don't know that individual with all these shootings going on, you might assume the worse. It should not be this way, but tis right now. Our purpose is to "Speak Softly and Carry a Big Stick". Just to be there and ready if needed. Of course, most of us also tend to be very vocal and proponents outside of class, but thats a different story. :)

Not sure about "throwing" varieties. It's kind of a gray area. I do know that folding knives less than 4" in blade length are o.k.
Well...throwing knives are even easier to conceal than a gun, and although they require some practice, can be used just as effectively. They also don't jam. :) That might be a good option to consider in areas where concealed guns are less allowed.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back