New training

RI191145

I recently had a stroke and some use of my right side. I am right handed. It has been hard to adjust my usage of the lefthand . It has been a hard 2 weeks, knowing I just purchased a dream handgun FSN- 40 and have not been able to fire it but a few times. Hopefully in the next few weeks i can go with a friend and he will help train me to be able to shoot/load and holster my handgun left handed . it will take a long time to get where i be sufficient...:happy:

Welcome to the forum. Hang in there, Friend, it can be done. Practice makes perfect. Keep your chin up. Strengthen your left hand all you can, so it can handle the .40.

If gripping the slide to rack your firearm has become a problem, there are modifications you can make to it to make that easier.

Device Makes it Easier to Rack Your Semi-Auto Pistol | GunLink Blog

Also, Red Jacket Firearms made this modification where they put a two fingered handle at the back of the slide to make racking the slide easier for a customer.

Hang in there. Perfect practice makes perfect. One heck of a firearm you have there too. :smile:

Never give up:smile: In 2011 I had heart surgery which resulted in a stroke/comma that the docs said I would not recover from:eek: I said that to say this, at this point I have learned to walk, eat with out choking, I can drive a car, and do most things that I want to do:biggrin:

I still have impairments, the right side of my body is about 30% numb, a small amount of memory loss, and things that I used to do in 5 or 10 minutes could take as much as an hour to do. Unlike you I am left handed however, I used to shoot very well right or left handed.

I am using my shooting as therapy, both right and left handed. I have made a lot of progress. I am a former LEO firearms instructor and have helped other people overcome many types of shooting problems. I think that overcoming impairments caused by stroke is the most challenging that I have ever dealt with:eek:

Rest assured that you can also make progress, do not give up, it will not be easy, keep working at it, you WILL make progress:smile: If you feel that you are not gaining, stop, take a break. If you think back you will find that you are doing more, better, than you were doing two or three weeks ago:biggrin:

NO NOT EVER GIVE UP, YOU CAN ADAPT AND IMPROVE:biggrin::biggrin:

SET SMALL GOALS AND AS YOU MEET THEM SET MORE:smile: REMEMBER, BABY STEPS ARE WAY BETTER THAN NO STEPS:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

YOU CAN DO IT:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

My mom recently had a 3rd stroke. It took a month or two on the first one, but she has bounced back completely each time. Hang in there and keep on the physical therapy! You may get back to where you want to be - out on the range firing away!

Hang in there I went thru the same thing about 2 1/2 yrs ago. Still not as good with left as I was with right but getting better. Had an advantage of LE combat training abt 30 yrs ago, had to fire at targets around obsticles with both hands.

Sent from my ZTE-Z990G using USA Carry mobile app

good news .My recovery has amazed my therapist. They said I was looking at 6 months to a year, I went for my evaluation and they were shocked when I walked in without a walker. I am now looking a 4 week hi-intensity and hi-resistance program. I am regaining my use of my right hand, future looks great. God is good.

I recently had a stroke and some use of my right side. I am right handed. It has been hard to adjust my usage of the lefthand . It has been a hard 2 weeks, knowing I just purchased a dream handgun FSN- 40 and have not been able to fire it but a few times. Hopefully in the next few weeks i can go with a friend and he will help train me to be able to shoot/load and holster my handgun left handed . it will take a long time to get where i be sufficient...:happy:

Sorry to hear bud, as for shooting with your left hand that's just practice in time you will be as good maybe better, the loading, cleaning, holster, etc, also will come with practice, at time I carry two guns, one on each hip, so the left side carry is just something to get used to, good luck, keep us posted

Buy a "blue" gun and practice handling skills while sitting around at home. You'll eventually improve dexterity. I once broke my right hand and had a cast/brace for 8 weeks. Eventually I learned to even write legibly as a lefty. Be persistent.

today, after 1 hour of therapy, I found out exactly how much the stroke affected right side. I felt my right side was recovering fast well He did say from where I was ,I have improved to be able to walk without a walker. Well I know what I am facing and I am still looking for 4 weeks and get back to work.Looking forward to my next sessions.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back