New to OC. Question about winter carry

Drzzit

This might be a stupid question, but How do You OC in the winter, when You have to wear coats/jackets to be warm and they cover Your firearm up? New to carrying and while I wait to get My CCL, I want to carry while out and about. Live in NM where I don't have to worry about a permit, as You all know is an open carry state. Looking for some good advice on what's best for OC. Thnx

For me, during the winter its usually concealed because I don't wear a drop leg holster and I don't want to be cold. There are drop platforms that aren't thigh holsters, that would bring the firearm below a regular jacket length though. You can look into those. Just remember, the point of those drop leg platforms is to get it just clear of your gear/jacket, while trying to keep it as high as possible.

http://www.safariland.com/DutyGear/product.aspx?pid=HDA-KIT

For example.

btw, you should get rid of "this might be a stupid question, but", your question was perfectly fine.

Look into duty gear/coats. Some have a zippered seam on the sides to allow access to a duty weapon. My 5.11 coat has them. Just unzip and tuck ends behind weapon for open carry. The one I have is actually two that zip together. Here's a link. Link Removed

I bought a Walls workwear winter jacket that was short enough to tuck in behind my normal belt carried sidearm. Although I had to search around to find one short enough it works just fine. And it only cost a little over $30... but it might have been on sale and that I don't recall.

Edited to add:

I guess it was on sale.... here is link...

http://www.walls.com/insulated-water-resistant-hooded-duck-jacket

I don't own any coats because I don't like them. I use jackets when it turns cold. And my jackets work fine with OC since I can do the "Virginia tuck" with them much like with a sweat shirt or rugby. No muss, no fuss, and works just fine.

Look into duty gear/coats. Some have a zippered seam on the sides to allow access to a duty weapon. My 5.11 coat has them. Just unzip and tuck ends behind weapon for open carry. The one I have is actually two that zip together. Here's a link. Link Removed

If I understand the OP, he can't do that because his permit hasn't came yet. I would either wear a "drop leg"; or maybe a shoulder rig outside your coat. It seems to me anything else and you would be illegally CCing. (At least until your permit comes)

I open carry out of convenience, not because I have a burning desire for the world to see my gun. Living in PA, it gets pretty damn cold, and being cold is pretty inconvenient for me. So, I conceal during the winter, under a coat, and when I take my coat off, I'm open carrying. I question the motives of people who go out of their way to open carry, especially in freezing weather.

I open carry out of convenience, not because I have a burning desire for the world to see my gun. Living in PA, it gets pretty damn cold, and being cold is pretty inconvenient for me. So, I conceal during the winter, under a coat, and when I take my coat off, I'm open carrying. I question the motives of people who go out of their way to open carry, especially in freezing weather.
I question the motives of people who go out of their way to conceal carry, especially in hot humid weather.

See how that works?

I question the motives of people who go out of their way to conceal carry, especially in hot humid weather.

See how that works?

Apples and oranges. Concealing during hot weather is difficult, and inconvenient. Concealing during cold weather isn't. In fact, it's difficult to open carry in cold weather, if you plan on keeping warm. I only conceal when I need to, or when it's inconvenient to open carry...like when it's 10 degrees outside and I'm wearing a parka.

jahwarrior72:276075 said:

See how that works?

Apples and oranges. Concealing during hot weather is difficult, and inconvenient. Concealing during cold weather isn't. In fact, it's difficult to open carry in cold weather, if you plan on keeping warm. I only conceal when I need to, or when it's inconvenient to open carry...like when it's 10 degrees outside and I'm wearing a parka.

You're comparing wrong arguments.

Open carrying is harder and more inconvenient while its cold. Conceal carrying is harder and more inconvenient while its hot. Those are the arguments.

If you find it suspicious for the open carrier when its cold, because its inconvenient, do you feel that way when its hot and you spot a concealed carrier?

This is what bikenut, I believe, was referring to.

Open carrying is harder and more inconvenient while its cold. Conceal carrying is harder and more inconvenient while its hot. Those are the arguments.

If you find it suspicious for the open carrier when its cold, because its inconvenient, do you feel that way when its hot and you spot a concealed carrier?

Ah, I see. No, I don't find it suspicious, in either case, I just think it's foolish. I think people who go out of their way to open carry, even when it might be detrimental to their health, like wearing a light jacket they can pull behind their gun when it's freezing out, have poor judgement. People who conceal no matter what the weather is a different story. In some states, like FL and TX, they really have no choice. I'd hate to have to conceal a Glock when it's 90 degrees at 90% humidity, or 110 degrees and baking outside. But I think, if you have the option, open carry is the better choice for warm weather.

I conceal when it's cold, period. I don't carry for political reasons, or to be an activist, or to educate the public. I could care less about the public. I carry a gun for self defense. That's why I choose to open carry.

jahwarrior72:276084 said:

Ah, I see. No, I don't find it suspicious, in either case, I just think it's foolish. I think people who go out of their way to open carry, even when it might be detrimental to their health, like wearing a light jacket they can pull behind their gun when it's freezing out, have poor judgement. People who conceal no matter what the weather is a different story. In some states, like FL and TX, they really have no choice. I'd hate to have to conceal a Glock when it's 90 degrees at 90% humidity, or 110 degrees and baking outside. But I think, if you have the option, open carry is the better choice for warm weather.

I conceal when it's cold, period. I don't carry for political reasons, or to be an activist, or to educate the public. I could care less about the public. I carry a gun for self defense. That's why I choose to open carry.

Yea it sucks for those that don't have a choice when its 90 and miserably humid...it also sucks for those that can't conceal and its 0 out. I am happy I can carry comfortably in any weather here.

I'm going to move to a drop platform like I posted earlier about (not a thigh rig), because my cold weather jackets only go about 2 inches below my beltline, and are tight around my pelvis. I cant comfortable conceal with the jacket (the firearm would peak from under and I can't close the jacket to zip it up and actually stay warm)...if I could drop the holster 2" it would be more comfortable, and it would be openly carried which is what I prefer.

Yea it sucks for those that don't have a choice when its 90 and miserably humid...it also sucks for those that can't conceal and its 0 out. I am happy I can carry comfortably in any weather here.

I'm going to move to a drop platform like I posted earlier about (not a thigh rig), because my cold weather jackets only go about 2 inches below my beltline, and are tight around my pelvis. I cant comfortable conceal with the jacket (the firearm would peak from under and I can't close the jacket to zip it up and actually stay warm)...if I could drop the holster 2" it would be more comfortable, and it would be openly carried which is what I prefer.

Have you given any thought to a shoulder rig? You could conceal easily under a jacket or coat. I have one I use for when I have to do a lot of driving. I also use a crossdraw holster for that, but normally only during the summer.

Apples and Oranges? I think not. What I questioned in a sarcastic manner (perhaps I should have noted that it was sarcasm?) wasn't concealing in hot weather but was why anyone would question the motives of another based on carry method during differences of weather?

I open carry even when it is 10 degrees outside because I bought a jacket that is short enough to tuck behind the gun. So why would anyone question my motives for OC'ing when it's cold out since my motives for OC'ing are the same no matter what the weather/temperature is?

I was just fortunate enough to be able to find a jacket that is warm enough and short enough to suit my needs. Others may not be so fortunate and that might cause them to come up with interesting ways to still open carry... yet their motives for open carrying may still be the same in the cold as they were in the warm.

i can't open carry in the winter, i can't stand the cold and here in pa the cold weather can be brutal... if the weathers nice enough sure i'll oc but when its cold out i don't even think about it.

jahwarrior72, a shoulder holster is a good ideal. i may enven consider one but i would have to get one for my glock, i couldn't imagine carrying my 1911 in a shoulder holster, hell its heavy enough on my hip...

i can't open carry in the winter, i can't stand the cold and here in pa the cold weather can be brutal... if the weathers nice enough sure i'll oc but when its cold out i don't even think about it.

jahwarrior72, a shoulder holster is a good ideal. i may enven consider one but i would have to get one for my glock, i couldn't imagine carrying my 1911 in a shoulder holster, hell its heavy enough on my hip...

If you get a shoulder rig that has a mag puch, the weight actually isn't so bad, when it's distributed correctly. You just can't get a cheap one, though. Uncle Mike's shoulder rigs are the suck, so are Fobus ones, though the Fobus is good enough for driving. I wouldn't wear it if I were walking around, though. Galco makes a really nice one; I borrowed one from a friend a few years ago, and it was the best one I'd used. They are a bit pricey, though.

Have you given any thought to a shoulder rig? You could conceal easily under a jacket or coat. I have one I use for when I have to do a lot of driving. I also use a crossdraw holster for that, but normally only during the summer.

I have considered them. I ventured down that path and ultimately decided against it for various personal reasons and comfort. The drop platform from safariland is something I have been wanting to get for hiking as well. I all ready have a drawer full of holsters...I see that drawer overflowing in the future...and it makes me smile :)

I have considered them. I ventured down that path and ultimately decided against it for various personal reasons and comfort. The drop platform from safariland is something I have been wanting to get for hiking as well. I all ready have a drawer full of holsters...I see that drawer overflowing in the future...and it makes me smile :)

One thing I have not seen anyone mention is LE Type duty holsters that hold the firearm off the belt far enough for you to tuck your jacket between the holster and your body while maintaining the firearm in an open carry easily accessible placement. Uncle Mikes carries them but I can not find a good description on their website where Safariland have a few Holsters | Rotating Views - SAFARILAND™ if you look at the 070, 200 or 295 and rotate the image you will see what I mean.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back