New to handguns - cleaning schedule

Thank you. I'll make sure I clean the mag.

Sent from my iPhone using USA Carry

The only time I disassembled my magazines is when they were brand new. I removed the spring and put a very light coat of oil on the inside. I'm not sure if it is recommended, but I hate the thought of anything metallic rubbing against another metal object without some form of applied lubricant.

Sent from my iPhone using USA Carry

Every time I shoot one of my firearms I clean it afterwards, and that includes cleaning the magazine well or tube as well.

My 45ACP and my 5.56x45 both have detachable box magazines. I take the one I used at the range completely apart, clean every square centimeter of it springs and all, wipe it off, then reassemble and test it.

I have learned over the past 42 years of shooting with box magazines that they will jam if they are not cleaned.

I do a routine cleaning after every firing and a complete cleaning annually; but up to monthly if I've done a lot of firing, if its in a very humid environment, or if I'd had it in the field.

Cleaning Regimen:
- drop the magazine
- rack the slide
- separate slide from receiver
- remove the recoil spring, guide, and the barrel
- empty all rounds from all magazines
- Hopp's 9 all over, patch until clean, through bristle scrubs
- wipe down with clean cloth
***Complete Cleaning Additions***
- remove firing pin
- remove magazine base spring
- de-grease all parts after Hopp's
- spot application of synthetic wheel bearing grease for high wear and impact points
***End of Additions***
- Rem oil over entire firearm, especially all moving parts
- final wipedown
- reassemble
- reload
- holster

I'm very fast with the dishes, but when it comes to my firearm... I have it down to about thirty minutes. Care is more important than saving time. :)

As for long-term protectant, Frog Lube won top honors in well-designed, independent field trials:

Comprehensive Corrosion Test: 46 Products Compared : Day At The Range

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back