New to handguns - cleaning schedule

jaydub

I took my gun out for the first time 2 weeks ago and put 150 rds through it. I cleaned it thoroughly after that and I won't be making 150 rds a regular event, so I was wondering if I do 50 rds per month, do I need to clean it every time or is cleaning based on the number of rounds?

I also see stuff about fingerprints rusting guns, but with a S&W and its coating, is that a big deal if I take it out of the box every few days to practice trigger control?

I took my gun out for the first time 2 weeks ago and put 150 rds through it. I cleaned it thoroughly after that and I won't be making 150 rds a regular event, so I was wondering if I do 50 rds per month, do I need to clean it every time or is cleaning based on the number of rounds?

I also see stuff about fingerprints rusting guns, but with a S&W and its coating, is that a big deal if I take it out of the box every few days to practice trigger control?

Its always a good idea to clean your weapon after each use.

I field strip and clean mine after every use regardless of amount fired.
Regarding cleaning after handling I would just run a lightly oiled cloth over it.

Depending on your storage conditions I would recommend a full cleaning every 2-3 months even if they haven't been used.

I clean mine every time, but then mine are new and I use frog lube, which will season in to them and help protect them from dirt, water, etc. The more I use it the better they'll get. Plus it smells like mint instead of oil!

My glocks get cleaned every other month, whether they need it or not :eek: I take my bath, I clean my guns:crazy_pilot:

If you're only going to shoot it once a month than yes, I'd recommend cleaning it every time. It's not great to let carbon fouling sit around on the gun for months at a time. I only clean my guns once a month because most of them I shoot fairly often. The only guns I clean immediately after shooting are my carry gun and any gun that's going to sit in the safe for a while.

Helpful advice and admonishments for me too since I've grown lazy lately. I shot my carry Kimber weeks ago at a Dave Spaulding class and I am now finally motivated to clean the forsaken 1911.

Thanks!

FX

You will never hurt a firearm by cleaning it. You may hurt a firearm with excessive oiling. Too much oil on some guns gums up the works. Not enough cleaning can also gum up the works.

Have I gone 800 rds without cleaning my Glock. Yes. Did I get any failures? No. Do I recommend making this a practice? No.

If you have a weapon, especially a steel weapon that can rust, it is good to run a lightly oiled cloth over it. This does two things, it removes lint and dust, and it protects the finish.

Depending how you carry can also be an issue. Some methods of carry actually cause moisture on your firearm. Some methods cause excessive lint.

Be aware of your firearm and inspect it regularly.

Need? After 50 rounds? Probably not need, but always a good idea. I clean all of mine after every firing, no matter how many rounds.

Both of my pistols are carry guns. I clean them after every shooting and lube them also. I also lightly oil them every other week. Being carry guns I want to be sure they are clean and ready to shoot. Look at it this way, does it do your gun any good to lay around in a dirty condition?
Also the night before I am going to hit the range I put a little Tetra Gun Grease on the slide rails. While carrying them I use RemOil on the rails which is fine because were I to need to use the gun in self defense I would not be shooting 50 or more rounds. A gun that operates properly is a gun that will take care of you. And cleaning/lube does not take up a lot of time.

:dance3:

I field strip, clean my guns even if I fired only one round. It's one of the reasons I don't like 1911's. It's just good practice, and won't hurt your gun.

I shoot my CCW at least once per month, and I clean and lightly lube it each time. My other guns get it a little less often. I really enjoy stripping and cleaning my guns.

I loved reading this... After I shoot mine I turn on my music and give her hell cleaning... I don't know how to break down every part of my gun. Just the spring, slide, and barrel...

I'm a newbie here and have found the info provided on this thread very informative. I've purchased a Walther PPS 40 S&W on lay-away and will have possession of the gun by mid-March. In the meantime, I have been reading and absorbing a lot as well as signing up for some classes at my local gun club. On the subject of when and how often one should clean/lube a firearm I have one question I have not seen anyone ask or have addressed. The question is multi-faceted and is when, how, and how often should someone clean/disassemble the magazine of a semi-automatic, or is it even necessary at all. TIA for any and all responses to this query.

The only time I disassembled my magazines is when they were brand new. I removed the spring and put a very light coat of oil on the inside. I'm not sure if it is recommended, but I hate the thought of anything metallic rubbing against another metal object without some form of applied lubricant.

Sent from my iPhone using USA Carry

The only time I disassembled my magazines is when they were brand new. I removed the spring and put a very light coat of oil on the inside. I'm not sure if it is recommended, but I hate the thought of anything metallic rubbing against another metal object without some form of applied lubricant.

Sent from my iPhone using USA Carry

Oil on the mag spring attracts dirt and grime and will shorten the life of the spring.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back