New Pistol in 10MM or 45GAP?

jerry12

I am thinking about getting a new pistol in 10mm or 45G.A.P. I now have a 380 /9mm/40cal /45cal and for some reason i think i need more power. Any way guy's i would like to hear from people that have been at this longer than me. I know a shot gun is very good for home but i like to stick with with some thing that i carry around with me.

I guess you could have a straight flush.

But unless you can hit with the second shot, does it really matter?

I have a Glock 20. 10mm gets pretty pricey so I slapped a Lone Wolf .40 cal conversion barrel on.

I like having the option of swapping out to .40 when I wanna shoot a big Glock or 10mm when I want to splurge at the range or having to put down the occasional zombie or grizzly bear.

Glock 20 10mm,
Not only does it have a hell of a bark,but the ballistics are also impressive. I purchased one in 2009 for Conceal Carry.
After shooting it for a while I decieded to use it for back up while hunting.

Last year I shot a nice 250+ Pound Black Bear with my .300 Weatherby when I tracked the Bear,it still wasnt expired so I used the 10mm and it took care of the situation very quickly. I was very impressed, I would not want to be on the. Receiving end of the G20

I have a Glock 20. 10mm gets pretty pricey so I slapped a Lone Wolf .40 cal conversion barrel on.

I like having the option of swapping out to .40 when I wanna shoot a big Glock or 10mm when I want to splurge at the range or having to put down the occasional zombie or grizzly bear.

For the .40 S&W conversion barrel do you just change the barrel or springs as well? Can the 10mm magazines hold the .40 S&W rounds or is it better to get the .40 S&W magazines?

I have a 20SF coming in a week or two, and I am thinking of getting the Lone Wolf .40 S&W conversion barrel so I just wanted to see what is actually required to allow the 20SF to shoot .40 S&W.

Thank you.

Without looking at the stats, I am pretty sure that .45 acp is more powerful than .45 gap, which is a shorter version of the .45 acp (like 380 vs. 9mm and .40 vs. 10mm).

It looks like you will be saying "One of each, please" when you go ammo shopping!

For the .40 S&W conversion barrel do you just change the barrel or springs as well? Can the 10mm magazines hold the .40 S&W rounds or is it better to get the .40 S&W magazines?

I have a 20SF coming in a week or two, and I am thinking of getting the Lone Wolf .40 S&W conversion barrel so I just wanted to see what is actually required to allow the 20SF to shoot .40 S&W.

Thank you.
I was just inquiring about that. They said you only need the barrel and the stock mag is what you use.

I was just inquiring about that. They said you only need the barrel and the stock mag is what you use.

Great. The place where I buy my items said the conversion kit is backordered until around Thanksgiving. I am in no rush so I went ahead and ordered the barrel. I also ordered the 10mm barrel as several people warned me that the Glock 20SF (and 20) will need a supported barrel if you want the gun to last with high pressured ammo. I am guessing regular ammo won't have a problem with Glock's unsupported barrel, but I think it would be a good idea to have a supported barrel anyway. I ordered both barrels, but won't get either one until Thanksgiving.

I actually have the Glock 20SF (the regular one didn't fit my hand comfortably).

When converting 10mm to .40 all you need is the conversion barrel. The stock 10mm mags work just fine to feed the .40 cal rounds.

Some people say that you have to change the springs but I do just fine without it.

I also convert my Glock 23 .40 cal pistol to 9mm using the same method and that also does the trick.

I like to be different so the 10mm is my pick have a few .45's and they are great personal preference and how much you want to spend on ammo

The 10mm (Glock G20) is a perfect gun to carry when out in the woods as it will put down most anything you'll encounter. Now to head off any of you guys that think a large bore revolver is better for that consider this. The 10mm in equal barrel length with good loads has power on par with a .41 magnum and in a Glock G20 you have 15 rounds vs. 5 or 6 and if I have a black bear on top of me I'd rather have the 15 rounds of 10mm at my disposal than just 5 or 6 .44 or 454 Casull; in that situation I'd be shooting the animal A LOT. Now if we're in Grizzly territory that might change- I live on the East coast.
For self-defense against people you probably don't need that much power as it will over penetrate and be a hindrance in rapid fire if you have the skills to do that. The GAP would be a better choice for SD IMO.

Ill tell you guys something! I have just sold my 629 3". I carried this weapon for bears during the last 12 years. I was happy with it. Felt safe with it. I live in arizona we have had 3 bears in my yard in the last 2 years. I am at present ordering a 10mm in a glock. A four leg bugger dont scare me half as much as the two legged ones we now see in the national forest. The 10mm (glock) is the only thing I have found that will give me what I FEEL is needed in a all around camping pistol. It does not cost much compared to my carry guns. So I wont be scared to carry it on my 4-wheeler. And the 15 rd mags? Great!! I think it will have its place in my outdoor gear.

The GAP is a quaint idea but the 10mm is the real deal. I have the OD G20 with a reflex sight for hunting. Only suggestion would be the G20sf for a more comfortable grip.

10mm

For what it's worth, I have zero experience with .45 GAP but I've been carrying a full size Glock 20 for several years.
Couple things;
10mm ammo is expensive and sometimes hard to find. I use Cor-Bon ammo exclusively for hunting and usually carry it for personal defense and I've paid as much as $50 for a box. If you reload it might be less of an issue for you, but I don't just because of the time and patience commitment required.
10mm is LOUD and sharp and beats up your hand. I always draw a crowd at the local range because the G20 looks so nondescript it easily passes as any other full size, but when you fire it, it sounds like artillery compared to a 9 or a .40.
The grip is very wide to hold that magnum size round, so make absoloutely sure you can hold it before you buy it. I love mine but my older brother has smaller hands and when he wanted to fire it he had some control issues even with a good two handed grip.
10mm ammo is Heavy. Full loaded with a round in the chamber my G20 comes in at just a hair under 3 pounds (46 ounces: I have a lasermax sight in it and a buttplug that adds a bit more weight but i love both) Even though it's a compact and isn't really an apples to apples comparison, my G19 comes in a full pound less, and carrying a spare mag (another pound) may make the difference between strapping it on or carrying something else.
The extra wide grip makes it damn near impossible to conceal well, and even with really good holsters mine still prints unless I layer shirts or wear a jacket. I don't open carry much unless at a range or an event of some kind so this may be a concern for you.
Hope that helps, I'm the only one I know that carries a 10mm and whenever anyone asks why i picked that caliber, all I do is pop a round out of the magazine and sit it on the table.

I actually have the Glock 20SF (the regular one didn't fit my hand comfortably).

When converting 10mm to .40 all you need is the conversion barrel. The stock 10mm mags work just fine to feed the .40 cal rounds.

Some people say that you have to change the springs but I do just fine without it.

I also convert my Glock 23 .40 cal pistol to 9mm using the same method and that also does the trick.

If the stock mags work fine when switching from 10mm to .40 S&W, is it possible to use the high capacity .40S&W mags? I believe Glock makes 22 round .40S&W mags.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back