New Member Welcome Thread 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello. My first visit, obviously, but thought I'd observe and find out anything new, if there is anything, on single action revolvers.

Thank god - someone w/ practical advice...

FireBallZip,
You will find as many answers to this question as those that reply. I could give you my picks, but the best answer to the safest gun is the one you can handle well and practice with most. Safety is mostly a state of mind.

So...

This dude is sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo right. There are too many bloggers that will tel you that "this or that...must be a .45...blah, blah, blah"

Well pack a .45 anywhere and most people will recognize what you have no matter how many layers you have on, even up here in MA during the winter. And do you really want to lug around 2lbs O'steel?

I have (and practice with on a regular basis) a Kahr PM9, it is as small as my hand...and most important I am comfortable using it. A well placed round is all you need and that is what you should be thinking of.

Revolver - perfect choice for CC options...

...find out anything new, if there is anything, on single action revolvers.

So my two good friends have a SW Model 638 and a Ruger LCR. Both are super awesome, super light CC tyranny fighters...

SW 638
Finish is not so good (it is like painted???)
Double action pull hammer-less trigger makes it a single action

Ruger LCR
Sweet finish
DAO

I like the Ruger...and I do prefer the DAO triggers...especially when the revolver could be up front under my pants close to my manliness...don't need no accidents down there if ya know what I mean!

I'm looking to the near future, going to retire somewhere south of Massachusetts, which is not a very friendly gun state at all. Just wondering, how is Tenn. laws on conceal carry and buying what type of gun you want etc.etc.?? Thanks for any info, if you know of near by states that are friendly I'd like to know of them also.

He is right as far as my wife and I are concerned. Bought a GLOCK 23 (40 caliber) and even with changing to the 9mm barrel it is too much for her. I found I shoot much better with the smaller 9mm so I will keep the Glock a 9mm for my own carry weapon. This year I will be buying a much more smaller caliber for my wife and IF I LIKE SHOOTING IT than I will get one for myself. A pocket pistol is sooo much nicer to take with you on a daily bases. What ever gun you choose handle it first and try it out if you can.

S&W 638 a Single Action?

So my two good friends have a SW Model 638 and a Ruger LCR. Both are super awesome, super light CC tyranny fighters...

SW 638
Finish is not so good (it is like painted???)
Double action pull hammer-less trigger makes it a single action

Ruger LCR
Sweet finish
DAO

I like the Ruger...and I do prefer the DAO triggers...especially when the revolver could be up front under my pants close to my manliness...don't need no accidents down there if ya know what I mean!

NO:no: 'and' :eek:fftopic:
The Smith & Wesson 638 IS NOT a Single Action Revolver!
A SA (Single Action) is one that must be manually cocked by pulling the hammer back and then firing it with a squeeze on the trigger, such as the Colt SAA (Single Action Army) or the Ruger Blackhawk.

The naming of the action is not based on the process of pulling the trigger, it is descriptive of HOW the firearm is 'cocked and fired'.

A single-action firing system is where the trigger has one job (action) to do, that is to release the hammer to strike the firing pin or to strike the primer.

A double-action firing system is where the trigger has two jobs (actions) to do, that is to (1) cock the hammer; (2) release the hammer to strike the primer (direct or indirect primer striking).

A hammer-less revolver, or one that has the spur on the hammer 'bobbed' so you cannot cock it manually, is known as a Double Action Only (DAO) revolver.

So, the naming of an action depends on what the trigger must do,
SA - Release the hammer/sear to fire the cartridge;
DA - Cock & Release the hammer/sear to fire the cartridge, but can also be fired in a Single Action manner too;
DAO - Cock & Release the hammer/sear to fire the cartridge because the hammer has been modified by bobbing or enclosed by the frame.

Hope that clears up the subject...

B&W, Comfortable Carry?

He is right as far as my wife and I are concerned. Bought a GLOCK 23 (40 caliber) and even with changing to the 9mm barrel it is too much for her. I found I shoot much better with the smaller 9mm so I will keep the Glock a 9mm for my own carry weapon. This year I will be buying a much more smaller caliber for my wife and IF I LIKE SHOOTING IT than I will get one for myself. A pocket pistol is sooo much nicer to take with you on a daily bases. What ever gun you choose handle it first and try it out if you can.

Bob (and Wife),
I carry a Glock 22 about half of the time and have no problems concealing it or dealing with the full-size pistol. I carry all my weapons (4 different ones) in a Link Removed holster at the 3:30 position, all-day, everyday. It is, by far, the most comfortable holster system that I own and use! Lifetime warranty and 100% refund if you don't like it after trying it. :thank_you2:

I'm looking to the near future, going to retire somewhere south of Massachusetts, which is not a very friendly gun state at all. Just wondering, how is Tenn. laws on conceal carry and buying what type of gun you want etc.etc.?? Thanks for any info, if you know of near by states that are friendly I'd like to know of them also.

As a "damned yankee" (one of those that came to the south and stayed) I can highly recommend GEORGIA :dance3:

A "shall issue" state..., no gun registration, open or concealed carry with a license, NO magazine capacity issues... Yup... I think I'll stay a while..

Oh 2 more things... an outstanding 2A rights group (GeorgiaCarry) and a
lot of REALLY good people :victory:

Never said it was specifically a single action...just mentioned that it has the capability of becoming a single action, if that is what an individual prefers... (it has a hammer that has been clipped off and yes you can manually pull it back for single action, SW states it is a DA/SA on its website and I have personally fired it both ways at the range)

Just remember with a single action once the hammer is cocked back...you are in business. I prefer to not have to put the hammer back down, especially after a "stressful" situation. God forbid you slip and a round goes off!

What is nice about both the SW 638 (DA/SA) and the Ruger LCR (DAO) is that the gun itself weighs less than the cartridges you put in it, metaphorically speaking...and they both are a joy to carry since they weigh next to nothing loaded!

Hi all! Just wanted to introduce myself real fast, as I'm new to the forum here... I've carried concealed for a little over 2 years now (since my senior year of college), and so far only own 2 guns, but am hoping to expand as my budget will allow! :biggrin: I'm in Indiana (near Indianapolis), and would love to connect with other like-minded Hoosiers and Americans!

Hi everybody! When i signed up for this forum site i got an email asking to introduce myself, so here it goes. I live in Georgia, and im new to the world of handguns. I've been a fairly avid rifle hunter for the better part of my life. I have yet to acquire my first handgun although i am currently in the market for one. I have also not yet gotten my HCP, that is also in the cards for very soon. I have recently graduated from college and i am currently seeking employment. Once that is squared away the firearms will start rolling in. haha. Thanks for listening to my rant, and I hope to hear everyones opinions in my later posts! :pleasantry:

Nick......

Hello,,, Going to renew my ccw tomorrow. 1 yr anniv. I guess. Glad to be a part of USA CARRY> Have a great 2011.. 9mm S/W revolver.

Hi everybody! When i signed up for this forum site i got an email asking to introduce myself, so here it goes. I live in Georgia, and im new to the world of handguns. I've been a fairly avid rifle hunter for the better part of my life. I have yet to acquire my first handgun although i am currently in the market for one. I have also not yet gotten my HCP, that is also in the cards for very soon. I have recently graduated from college and i am currently seeking employment. Once that is squared away the firearms will start rolling in. haha. Thanks for listening to my rant, and I hope to hear everyones opinions in my later posts! :pleasantry:

Welcome from another Georgia resident !! :pleasantry:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back