New guy with question regarding getting CCW

Tim1969

Hi all. Great site.
I plan to go through process to get CCW. Im in the Youngstown Ohio area. My question is this..
About 18 1/2 years ago, my wife and I got into a fight. I left with my 18mo old daughter and my wife called PD and said I hit her, so I was arrested, spent the night in jail, and had restraining order against me. I stayed away for a few weeks and when it was time for court date, we had got back together.
She went and told her attorney to stop the order and when I went to court, she couldnt say she made it up because she woulda been in trouble, so she said we reconciled and wouldnt follow through with her conplaint.
The judge gave me 1yr of probation and I had to go to a local paster for counseling.
I did as I was ordered to do, and have never had any trouble since.
BTW, we've been together 23yrs this past Sept.:wink:

So, will that event from 18+yrs ago cause me to not get my CCW now?

Thanks for your time and advice.

In looking over the Ohio CCW laws, it does mention in one paragraph that

"The law states that you must not be under indictment, be charged with, or convicted of any felony. You also must not be under indictment, charged
with, or convicted of
an offense that involves trafficking in drugs, a misdemeanor offense of violence, or negligent assault. You may not obtain
a license if you have been charged with falsification of a concealed handgun license."

However, then it goes on to say
"You must not have been convicted, pleaded guilty, or been adjudicated as delinquent in connection with two or more assaults or negligent assaults
within five years of your application.
"

I'm not an attorney, but I'm going to guess you will be fine. You could certainly consult with Sheriff's office ahead of time and ask them what they think.

Todd

Thanks Todd.
My wife thinks I should go to the local courthouse where this took place all those years ago, and ask if they can pull my info and see what I was actaully charged/convicted of.
But others have said I should just go to local gun store and try to buy a gun, and if I pass that background check, then Im good to go.
Any opinions?

A purchase will give you a fast answer. If you get denied, you'll probably need an attorney if you really want to be able to carry anyway.

Thanks Todd.
My wife thinks I should go to the local courthouse where this took place all those years ago, and ask if they can pull my info and see what I was actaully charged/convicted of.
But others have said I should just go to local gun store and try to buy a gun, and if I pass that background check, then Im good to go.
Any opinions?

If you are going to buy a firearm anyway, go do it. If you pass the background check, no worries. If you don't, THEN you know you need to get the court records expunged. Don't put the cart before the horse. :)

Might not have a problem with state laws, but you might want to see if federal laws come into play:

Link Removed

Not an attorney, just throwing it out to cover the bases.

Ok, I called to the clerk of courts and asked if they would pull records and see what exaxctly I was chraged/convicted with.
Because honestly, I have no idea.
She said I pleaded no contest to a M4 Disorderly conduct on 11-94 and got 30 suspended jail time, and 1yr of counseling/probation with local paster.
She did make it sound as if the M4 disorderly conduct was still a form of DV..

Should I still go and try to buy a gun and see what happens?

Not to worry

Ok, I called to the clerk of courts and asked if they would pull records and see what exaxctly I was chraged/convicted with.
Because honestly, I have no idea.
She said I pleaded no contest to a M4 Disorderly conduct on 11-94 and got 30 suspended jail time, and 1yr of counseling/probation with local paster.
She did make it sound as if the M4 disorderly conduct was still a form of DV..

Should I still go and try to buy a gun and see what happens?

I have the same charge on my record, it did not start from a DV but it ended in the same charge, M4 Disorderly. It was originally a menacing charge from a sissy, liberal college roommate. I purchased a gun not two years later and had no trouble (they did make me wait three days). I feel like your will have no trouble.
-Best of luck

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back