New and looking for entry level handgun.

I think it all comes down to it's main purpose. Like you mentioned target and home defense. One thing to consider is ammo cost. 9mm and 38 spcl are usually cheaper than anything else sans 22's so if target shooting takes precedence then there ya have it, if home defense then add 357 mag, 40s&w, 10mm and 45acp, 410/45LC revolver or even a medium frame 44 mag loaded with 44 spcl to the mix. If you plan to carry there are many options, almost too many to consider as far as mfr's go, it can become confusing. Finding what feels right in your hands, weight and cost should be the top priorities possibly in that order. Like others have said get to a range that rents guns and try as many as you can in as many calibers as you can. It will help narrow down your choices.

If your home defense sidearm will also be for targets, get a semi-auto with at least 4.5 to 5.5 inch barrel.

If concealed carry is to be a future consideration, and you only have a one size fits all budget, then shorter barrel, smaller semi-autos might be an option.

You may conceal carry the larger sidearms, it's just a bit more difficult due to added weight and physical size.

I think it all comes down to it's main purpose. Like you mentioned target and home defense. One thing to consider is ammo cost. 9mm and 38 spcl are usually cheaper than anything else sans 22's so if target shooting takes precedence then there ya have it, if home defense then add 357 mag, 40s&w, 10mm and 45acp, 410/45LC revolver or even a medium frame 44 mag loaded with 44 spcl to the mix. If you plan to carry there are many options, almost too many to consider as far as mfr's go, it can become confusing. Finding what feels right in your hands, weight and cost should be the top priorities possibly in that order. Like others have said get to a range that rents guns and try as many as you can in as many calibers as you can. It will help narrow down your choices.

Have you tried one of the 410/45 revolvers? I've been curious about them but haven't really heard from anyone who's shot one. I think I'd want one with a much longer barrel if I was going to shoot it. Seems like it'd be hard to hang on to.

My house layout makes using a long gun impractical, so I was wondering.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back