Nevada parolee threatening my firearms ownership

Krbrand

I have been living with my girlfriend at the same address for seventeen years. She has a 21 year old son presently incarcerated at High Desert State Prison. He has been approved for parole with a release date of 9/30/2013. The problem is the parole officer is denying his release until I have removed all firearms from the premises. I have a current CCW and my firearms are stored in a steel combination lock Liberty safe in our bedroom. Our bedroom has locks on the door and the safe is permanently bolted to the floor. Do I have any recourse to keep my guns? Am I not even allowed to keep my CCW gun which I keep on me all the time?

Sounds like it is the incarcerated son's problem and not yours - IMHO. Why should you be expected to sacrifice ANYTHING because of his crime? The recourse you have to keep your guns is to.....keep your guns. Just say no.

Tell him to find a different place to live! But the law does say that if a convicted felon is living in the home, there are to be no firearms present. And since he will be on probation, the home is subject to search at any time, with the only notice given when they knock on the door

I have been living with my girlfriend at the same address for seventeen years. She has a 21 year old son presently incarcerated at High Desert State Prison. He has been approved for parole with a release date of 9/30/2013. The problem is the parole officer is denying his release until I have removed all firearms from the premises. I have a current CCW and my firearms are stored in a steel combination lock Liberty safe in our bedroom. Our bedroom has locks on the door and the safe is permanently bolted to the floor. Do I have any recourse to keep my guns? Am I not even allowed to keep my CCW gun which I keep on me all the time?

Sure you have recourse. Keep them and let the son stay in jail. It sounds like you are having more of an issue with his mom than with the parole officer. The parole officer sounds like he is saying he won't release your gf's son to your residence. Great, let him live somewhere else. That's a second optional recourse. No where in your account did I hear you say the parole officer is forcing you to disarm, he just won't release him to an address that has firearms in it.

You are the one assuming you must get rid of your guns.

Your question is now whether having your guns and the ability to protect yourself and your family is more important than having your gf's son stay with you while he is on parole.

Ooooh, just thought of a third option... you could move out if the gf insists that her son stay there.

Thought of a fourth option.. .You could keep your firearms with a friend and everyday go there first to holster up and when your day has ended, before you come home, you would drop it off again.

I'm not saying any of these choices is easy, but you are the one that needs to choose.

I guess I should have rephrased the part about Do I have any recourse to keep my guns? I should have said do I have any recourse to keep my guns at the house? Hell, he could go next door and rob them before he would even have a chance at breaching my safe.

It's a tough situation. You don't say how long you and the girl friend have lived together (unless I misread the 17 year part). I guess it really comes down to how much you really love the girl friend. Either that or get her son an apartment on the other side of town.

We've been together over 20 years but lived in our present home for 17. The reason I search for alternatives for allowing him to come home is because he had already been charged on 5/2012 and was living with us on house arrest with an ankle bracelet until he finished anger management classes and the judge reviewed his case. He tried to remove the ankle bracelet and set the alarm off. They came and arrested him and when he went before the judge she sentenced him to High Desert Prison. The whole time this was going on Parole and Probation was aware of my firearms. They had inspected the house and saw my safe and nothing was said. They came by 2-3 times a month to check on him. What makes this so different now? I was allowed to keep my guns then.

The point you are missing is that the mother may love her son more than she loves your guns. What ever you do don't make her choose. You will most certainly lose that battle. The choice is yours and may be as simple as giving up your guns, giving up the girlfriend, or finding the son another place to live. There is no right or wrong answer in this type of situation. It is all a matter of priorities.

Find the son another place to live. Sounds like your GF is a keeper, after all this time. If finding another place for the son is not an option with his mother, you do indeed have two options, neither with a mutually beneficial outcome. Give-up the guns, or give-up the girlfriend. I'm assuming it is her house, as you didn't say. Good luck, I hope whatever choice you make is your choice. I couldn't give my weapons to someone for safekeeping until I wanted to shoot. I couldn't set myself up to be a victim in a home with no defense, but that's just me.

But the law does say that if a convicted felon is living in the home, there are to be no firearms present.

Which law is that? Must be a state law, because there is no Federal prohibition like that. The Federal prohibition is that the felon (or those under indictment for a felony) can not be in possession of a firearm or ammunition. Another person living in the same house can certainly keep their firearms, according to Federal law, so long as they are locked up such that the felon has no access to them. Possession is defined as knowing where the objects are AND having access to the objects. No access = no possession.

Which law is that? Must be a state law, because there is no Federal prohibition like that. The Federal prohibition is that the felon (or those under indictment for a felony) can not be in possession of a firearm or ammunition. Another person living in the same house can certainly keep their firearms, according to Federal law, so long as they are locked up such that the felon has no access to them. Possession is defined as knowing where the objects are AND having access to the objects. No access = no possession.

This may be Nevada law. The parole officer has almost unlimited authority. If the kid was convicted in Nevada of a state felony then Nevada law controls. If the parole office says no firearms within the home then no firearms within the home. That is how simple it is. Now perhaps the OP can go to the parole board and see if they can change the terms of parole, or perhaps petition the governors office. The federal law does not trump state law with regard to the states rights to determine parole terms for a state offense.

We've been together over 20 years but lived in our present home for 17. The reason I search for alternatives for allowing him to come home is because he had already been charged on 5/2012 and was living with us on house arrest with an ankle bracelet until he finished anger management classes and the judge reviewed his case. He tried to remove the ankle bracelet and set the alarm off. They came and arrested him and when he went before the judge she sentenced him to High Desert Prison. The whole time this was going on Parole and Probation was aware of my firearms. They had inspected the house and saw my safe and nothing was said. They came by 2-3 times a month to check on him. What makes this so different now? I was allowed to keep my guns then.

Since he is on parole after being placed back in jail after trying to make a "break" by removing the ankle bracelet, it could be the authorities deem him to be someone who might try to break into your safe or do something equally irresponsible. Stupid actions generally come with harsh repercussions. I do feel for your situation. Someone mentioned you funding his own apartment. This would certainly be a workable option if the gf is willing and you have the cash.

Personally, if I had a 21 yo son (step son, ?) who just came out of jail and was given the option of him staying and I get rid of all my firearms or the son living elsewhere, the son would be living elsewhere. He's old enough to be on his own, he's old enough to be a responsible adult, and he's too old to be putting burdens like this on you at your age. It's obvious you care a lot about him and his mother. Whatever choice you do decide will be a difficult one, but make sure it is one you can live with in the long run. Best wishes to you sir.

The point you are missing is that the mother may love her son more than she loves your guns. What ever you do don't make her choose. You will most certainly lose that battle. The choice is yours and may be as simple as giving up your guns, giving up the girlfriend, or finding the son another place to live. There is no right or wrong answer in this type of situation. It is all a matter of priorities.

Point taken. You are so very right about that because she also has a gun which she is willing to give up.

And...on top of that... to add insult to injury.... you are giving up your firearms for the benefit of a criminal.

Sounds like it is the incarcerated son's problem and not yours - IMHO. Why should you be expected to sacrifice ANYTHING because of his crime? The recourse you have to keep your guns is to.....keep your guns. Just say no.
Yup. He's 21 years old and being paroled? He's a man, an adult. Let him figure-out his own life. Don't let him live there. My girlfriend would go before I would rid myself of my rights over some punk who cant get straightened out. And if they won't release him because of your guns tell him to get a lawyer. It's his problem.

We talked last night and thanks to all the good advice I received from the forum members that I was able to use her attitude appears to be changing in my direction. We shall see.

We talked last night and thanks to all the good advice I received from the forum members that I was able to use her attitude appears to be changing in my direction. We shall see.

Coming up with a solution that you both agree with will be huge. I hope things work out for the best.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back