Nerve Damage

It is offical now. After several tests, my doctor tells me I have nerve damage to the thumb area of my gun hand (right) That splint she gave me awhile back, I have been asked to wear it as much as possible.

Placing one of my carry firearms in it's Nemesis pocket holster in the left pocket felt strange. If I carry the semi auto, the safety is now on the wrong side.

I remember one instructor making it a big deal to learn how to shoot with the off hand. I really didn't take much stock in what he was saying at the time. Now, his wisdom is hitting home.

Perhaps it was all those 30.30 rounds in the T/c Condender. Thousands of 45 ACP rounds.

This sucks.

Wow, Iceman I'm sorry to hear that. I'm sure you are strong headed enough to learn to shoot with your left hand, but it will take time before you feel comfortable. :sarcastic:

I am right handed, and shoot right handed most of the time, but after having surgery on my right wrist earlier this year, I learned the value of practicing with my off hand. I still have a lot of pain on the right side if I shoot much, so I am shooting more and more from the left. The only thing I haven't done is get left handed holsters for carrying. I suppose I should since this will probably be a long term/permanent thing for me too.:hang3:

Keep us posted on how you are doing.

Wow, Iceman I'm sorry to hear that. I'm sure you are strong headed enough to learn to shoot with your left hand, but it will take time before you feel comfortable. :sarcastic:

I am right handed, and shoot right handed most of the time, but after having surgery on my right wrist earlier this year, I learned the value of practicing with my off hand. I still have a lot of pain on the right side if I shoot much, so I am shooting more and more from the left. The only thing I haven't done is get left handed holsters for carrying. I suppose I should since this will probably be a long term/permanent thing for me too.:hang3:

Keep us posted on how you are doing.

At least I know what brand/style holster's not to buy.:pleasantry:

With enough practice I know I can overcome this disability.

The new S&W Bodyguard 38 revolver has an ambidextrous cylinder release where the hammer usually is, and a built in laser to help with weak hand aiming, and no safety to worry about.

I've had both wrists operated on over the years for Carparl (sp?) Tunnel. Then this past year in Oct 09 then Dec 09. Once again both hands had 2 fingers each for Trigger Finger, ya :laugh:!! Knew this would be a issue when the time came so I started out at the beginning to learn to shoot left or right handed!
4-6 weeks is a long while when you enjoy going to the range! Specially if you can't do either or! It would have been like bad withdrawels :fie:!
When I asked how long I need to wait, ( it was already 4 wks) telling the Dr why. It was funny to see his jaw drop to the floor with my reason other than just for normal use! :laugh:
None the less he realized I was seriously wanting to go shoot! When I saw him again 6 week out he asked me how long I actually waited,, I was totally honest I went on a Thursday to see him. Like well I waited till Saturday .
He just ask me to please not over do it! :laugh:

At least I know what brand/style holster's not to buy.:pleasantry:

With enough practice I know I can overcome this disability.

Iceman, your first obstacle will be to view it as a challenge and not a disability. I am certain you have the ability to over come a minor detour. Best to you.

I used to shoot with a guy named Bill Irwin - former prizefighter, former car racer, and one helluva shooter! He was in his upper 80's with crippling arthritis that curled the fingers of his right hand into this claw-like posture...he'd settle that .45 into his hand and blaze away with the rest of us and never utter a whimper of discomfort. A rugged, old-school Irishman who didn't peddle in BS of any kind. Quite a role model! Rest in Peace, Bill...miss ya!

I used to shoot with a guy named Bill Irwin - former prizefighter, former car racer, and one helluva shooter! He was in his upper 80's with crippling arthritis that curled the fingers of his right hand into this claw-like posture...he'd settle that .45 into his hand and blaze away with the rest of us and never utter a whimper of discomfort. A rugged, old-school Irishman who didn't peddle in BS of any kind. Quite a role model! Rest in Peace, Bill...miss ya!

I drive the instructors crazy. My right trigger finger is bent so I use my mid-finger most of the time. Love the expressions on people when they see me shoot. :biggrin:

Maybe gloves?

I drive the instructors crazy. My right trigger finger is bent so I use my mid-finger most of the time. Love the expressions on people when they see me shoot. :biggrin:

At Academy there are real good workout gloves which have the palms padded, a well fitted glove will multiply the strenght of the hand in an efficient way, since the sensibility of the skin is most often the main stopper.

Just try doing something which is really difficult ordinarily with bare hands and afterward use gloves and you will notice the difference

Hope this helps:yu:

Sorry to hear about the injury. Do they have any plans for treatment, etc?

I know you don't believe in it but I will say a prayer that your hand heals quickly.

Sorry to hear about the injury. Do they have any plans for treatment, etc?

I know you don't believe in it but I will say a prayer that your hand heals quickly.
The drill is the nero guy gave me shocks in the hand. Then they took an MRI. Then a cortazone shot.
I wear the brace often. Typing can be a challenge.
I am writing letters with my left hand, and throwing a tennis ball and catching with my right.
I am using the grip device on the left hand to make it stronger.

I am giving the right hand a rest.

No shooting pistols except for the target 22 in the right hand.

I am trying with the left, but my aim is not so good.

It will all work out.

Thanks for asking.

Some folks have had some success with acupuncture, and some with PT. Keeping an attitude of "I'm going to beat it" goes a long way too. Maybe a good pair of padded palm shooting gloves may help you when you are ready. Best of luck to you.

Sorry to hear that this has become an issue for you. I have numbness in my right hand from years of working with air powered impact tools in the automotive repair industry. I type most of the time now for work so it makes it worse.

Like stated above look at it like a challenge and overcome and adapt.

Peace...

that blows, sorry to hear about it.. And just think, all these years you just thought you'd go blind by doing "that" :laugh:

that blows, sorry to hear about it.. And just think, all these years you just thought you'd go blind by doing "that" :laugh:
Dammit.
Now the secrets out.
I didn't wanna come out and say what the numbness was caused by.
When I went to church as a lad, the preacher said it was a sin. How did he know I was doing that?

BTW,

The doctor said, using the other side is most permissible. He said "enjoy"

It is offical now. After several tests, my doctor tells me I have nerve damage to the thumb area of my gun hand (right) That splint she gave me awhile back, I have been asked to wear it as much as possible.

Placing one of my carry firearms in it's Nemesis pocket holster in the left pocket felt strange. If I carry the semi auto, the safety is now on the wrong side.

I remember one instructor making it a big deal to learn how to shoot with the off hand. I really didn't take much stock in what he was saying at the time. Now, his wisdom is hitting home.

Perhaps it was all those 30.30 rounds in the T/c Condender. Thousands of 45 ACP rounds.

This sucks.

I feel for ya! I have a right thumb that snaps and pops alot, according to my doctor, because of too many rounds down range. It also swells up a bit at times. :wacko:

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back