Need help with first shotgun purchase

AndeyHall

Alright so I've got rifles and pistols galore, but no shotgun. So I think that's going to be my next purchase. That being said, I have never, nor do I ever intend on going duck hunting or any type of hunting where I would use a shotgun. So the hunting requirement is out. I enjoy skeet shooting, but rarely do that either (which that could be simply because I don't own a shotgun). Skeet shooting and home defense is probably going to be the top 2 reasons for owning this gun. But even though I say home defense, I don't want to go the tactical synthetic route because I would like to go for the appearance aspect of the gun too, and I'm more into the traditional, elegant wood guns. I'm trying to stay below $1,000. Our local gun shop had a CZ-912 which looked great, but I've read mixed reviews online about them. They also had some really nice over-unders in my price range, and I really like the look of the over-unders. So I guess I'm just curious between the pro's and cons of going between a semi-auto or an over-under (aside from the obvious fact that one only holds 2 rounds and the other usually 4+). I was originally looking into a Remington 870, but after looking at the CZ-912, the wood on the 870 is just very plain and cheap looking. So what do you guys think?

It sounds as if you are just looking for a pretty gun to hang on the wall. The 870 is bomb-proof. I hunt and shoot skeet and have never had a single problem with my 870. And it's American-made.

There are a lot of good choices out there in semi auto but if a pump is the choice I would go with a Mossberg 590 with its synthetic stock. The 870 is also a good gun.

Mossberg 500 because it is easy to switch barrels between an 18.5" cylinder bore for home defense and a 28" choked barrel for skeet.

I'm kinda leaning more towards the semi-auto or over-under. If I go with a pump, my mind is already made up on an 870. Just curious if capacity is the only con to an over-under? I don't want synthetic just cause I prefer a more traditional look. How does the 11-87 compare to the CZ-912? Differences in performance worth the differences in price?

I don't have experience with the CZ-912 but as you mentioned you have heard some mixed reviews, I suspect that is the main difference.
The 11-87 is very popular as a semi-auto that works well.

I have an Remington 870 Express Magnum with an 18" police barrel and a 28' hunting barrel. It has a black mat finish barrel and mat finish wood stock. They are easily swapped out in about 25 seconds to 1 minute if you are slow. I had a 870 WingMaster 39 years ago when I was a kid, it had a blued barrel and shiny stock. it was pretty. Traded it for a new .357 S&W Magnum years ago.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back