Need a new carry handgun...

judsmith

I am looking for a new carry handgun. Does anyone have any opinions on the Beretta Tomcat? I like the way the barrel pops up for loading, since I sometimes have problems pulling the slide back.
Thanks for any input!

Howdy judsmith,

Even though I'm not a fan of the .32acp as a defensive caliber, I have known a couple of people that have carried the Tomcat for the same reason.

One was a woman with RA and could not pull the side back on a semi-auto nor could we pull the trigger on a DA revolver.

The Tomcat was the idea gun for her.

She was able to insert a mag, pop the barrel up and load the chamber, and could cock the hammer and easily pull the trigger with the hammer cocked. Since the follow up shots were from a cocked hammer it was still the same easy trigger pull.

She either walked with a walker or a powered wheelchair and she had a "special" holster made for her Tomcat.

She has since passed away from RA but she carried the Tomcat for over ten years.

HTH

Paul

wow! Sure makes sense. Thanks, I learned something. Be nice for a tip up in 9mm also. Thanks

Howdy,

Heck, even a .380 would be better but at point blank range a half dozen .32acp FMJs would beat nothing. The .32 isn't known as a "man killer" but for SD you want the attack to stop, not just kill someone.

Paul

Don't know on the Tomcat, but we had a Bobcat for a while, but we range shoot a lot, and that little gun was a PITA to run many rds thru, but as a concealed carry gun it as better than nothing, but some of the small 380s are not much bigger and have a bunch more firepower, the only good reason I would say for having a Tomcat or Bobcat is the flip up barrel and not needing to rack the slide to cock the gun, as far as recamending I got to say no, but if that's all you got then absolutely carry it

Howdy,

Heck, even a .380 would be better but at point blank range a half dozen .32acp FMJs would beat nothing. The .32 isn't known as a "man killer" but for SD you want the attack to stop, not just kill someone.

Paul

You might want to check the stats and the Evan Marshall study on how well the 60 gr Silvertip performs. Considering how old the Silvertip design is, it wouldn't surprise me if the 60gr Gold Dot or some of the other newer hollowpoint designs aren't even more effective.

I've been using a Tomcat as my 'can't hide anything better' gun since they came out. Mine is mostly carried during the summer when I really can't wear enough to hide a bigger gun IWB under an untucked shirt or it's carried in my pocket in a business setting when it's too warm to get away with wearing a coat.

At 7 yards, it will keep every shot on a playing card if you do your part and mine can consistently keep every shot on a steel plate the size of a human torso (made by tracing a B27 target insert) at 50 yards if the shooter is up to the task.

I am looking for a new carry handgun. Does anyone have any opinions on the Beretta Tomcat? I like the way the barrel pops up for loading, since I sometimes have problems pulling the slide back.
Thanks for any input!

If that's the particular type of CCW weapon you need, then a Beretta Tomcat is a good choice. It's well made, accurate and reliable. I'm not going to get into that "horse beaten to death" argument about caliber choice... you're a big boy, carry what you want. Personally, I think the Bobcat is a bad@ss little pistol, too.

Here's a review:

The Tomcat .32 acp will do the job at close range 1 to 35 feet. You might also look at the Ruger LCR revolver in .22 Mag I have a Kel Tec P-32 in .32 acp and it is a great pocket gun but does not have a tip up barrel.

Good Choice! Go with what you can use, operate and shoot well. You're the one that has to make the choice, and I can't see a better one for the disabilities you've described. :)

A suggestion if ya don't wanna rack a slide. Ruger SP101 in 327 federal if you can find one. It will fire 32 short, 32 long, 32 s&w, 32 mag and 327 fed.

Or just get a Ruger LCR in .22 Mag. :pleasantry:

Got to disagree with you on that one.

I, personally, don't trust ANY rimfire enough to bet my life on it working. I've had too many that went "click." when it should have went "BANG!!"

I only disappoint those who believe they are God's gift to the world of guns. :dirol:

You disappoint on a MASSIVE scale because you are a complete hypocrite.
It wouldn't be so bad(?) except for the fact that you are one of the biggest anti gun people posting on this entire forum and as far as "Gods gift", you shouldn't even open your mouth!
Conrad... You fancy yourself as an "author" and a gun rights advocate..
You think YOU know what is best, what types of guns should be banned and who should "rat out" people to have their guns taken away!
NO ONE who comes to this forum should take advice from you!
EVER!

This is one of your own "articles" that you wrote...

" How to Prevent Gun Violence

In a country of over three hundred million people, it may not be possible to stop all gun violence. However, there are ways to stop a good amount. In order to buy a gun you must submit to an FBI background check and this is a good thing. But we must remember that many people who end up on a killing spree have no criminal background. Therefore a background check will not always reveal any reason to be alarmed at this person buying a gun. I believe what the Government must do is a study on what age groups do the most amount of violent shootings. Then close in on ways to possibly prevent these shootings.

It might be good to have television commercials aimed at people learning to recognize someone who is troubled and has possession of handguns. When someone who owns handguns and talks illogically about their guns, it could be a sign they need help. Therefore people who live in a household with guns need to be more tuned in on whether the gun owner is having problems or seems to be developing a more hateful disposition. Stopping gun violence is accomplished by others noticing problems with people who own guns. A good gun owner knows that guns are for target practice, hunting, and defending yourself. A bad gun owner thinks they can use their guns to settle problems or do away with people they consider enemies. Remember it is the person, not the gun who commits the crime.

Another good way to help gun control is by having college classes which focus on people who have problems and may own guns. College students should be aware of other students who seem to have a bad attitude and also own guns. Students should be encouraged to tell college officials if they know another student who owns guns and may be having social or mental problems. It could be done anonymously and might save other peoples lives. Possibly having a class in high school about gun violence prevention would also be an excellent idea. Giving students some knowledge in ways to spot and prevent gun problems. Now another step which can be taken is to let teachers take gun classes and have concealed firearms. I know this seems like a drastic step and would frighten many people, but let's be realistic. If teachers in colleges and high schools were allowed to carry concealed guns and some crazy shooter was killing people, they could use their gun to stop the shooter. Use violence to stop violence you say? Well with someone killing innocent students you must take drastic measures. Unless you want to just count bodies after he is done.

As for gun bans, without a doubt assault rifles must be banned, citizens have no need for assault rifles in an educated society. Handguns, hunting rifles, and shotguns are more than enough for protection and/or hunting. There could also be a limit on the size of handgun magazines. Maybe make all handgun magazines ten rounds or less. This is an area where the government needs to get together with gun manufacturers and discuss these things. I understand Americans wanting the right to own guns, but not assault rifles or guns with large magazines to shoot a large amount of rounds.

Preventing gun violence will only be accomplished if everyone works together. Parents, school kids, teachers, and other gun people. You can not just make a new law and stop gun violence. Remember that criminals don't obey laws, and people with mental problems don't either. Notice when a gun owner is not behaving normally or logically and let someone know. It takes all of us to be able to lower gun violence. Don't take the guns from good people, that only makes the criminal feel more secure. More people with Concealed Carry permits are needed in every state and when someone gets a Conceal Carry permit, it should allow them to carry in every state. If criminals realize there are a lot of people with concealed guns, they will be more cautious about committing crimes. People with Concealed Carry permits could possibly save more lives. Don't shun the people who carry concealed, shun the criminal.

Remember, nothing will stop all violence, but we can stop a percentage of it."

Damn! I'm even embarrassed for you!
I may not be "Gods gift" but you, Conrad, are the lying devil incarnate!

Sent from behind Enemy Lines.

Last edited:
I carry a S&W M&P340 .357 mag, Crimson Trace grip.It's super light, comfortable as I carry ITP front. I feel the laser grip is essential on any defensive concealed carry gun. No external hammer. Double action. Slim. I have a few other "sub compacts" (.40 S&W and .45 ACP)that are fine guns, but not as comfortable to wear day in day out.It doesn't hurt that its .357 either. But that's just me. Hope this helps. Let the hating begin..

Sent from my Z796C using USA Carry mobile app

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back