Navy Gun Policy

wjh2657

Miltary.com
New Navy Rules for Personal Firearms
Week of June 28, 2010

"The Navy has announced a policy change regarding personal firearms. One highlight of the new policy is the ability for all Sailors to store their personal firearms in base housing or armories (when space is available), as long as they receive prior written approval from the installation commanding officer. Weapons must be stored in a locked container, a locked gun rack, or secured with approved trigger locks to keep the weapon from firing. Weapons are still prohibited in other on-base locations. The policy also clarifies that Sailors must comply with all federal, state, and local laws, and that concealed weapons are never allowed on Navy installations, regardless of local law. "

AND?!?

That's nothing new. That's been the policy for decades now. All the Navy did was send out a message in response to Ft. Hood stating a formal Navy policy that had already been in effect anyway for decades.

I was looking forward to re-enlisting a Sailor today in civilian clothes at a remote location. I had my 1851 Navy revolver (replica) all loaded up and ready to go to open carry for the re-enlistment, but it's rained out. I have to do re-enlistments in civilian clothes if we want to exercise our 2nd amendment rights because personal firearms are not allowed to be worn in uniform, and they won't issue me a gun just to do a re-enlistment with.

Call your congressional representatives. There has been a push to allow CC on military installations in the past, and it has not made it past committe. You need to voice your opinion. If our men and women at Ft Hood would have been armed, who knows what would have happened? It might have been different. These active shooter incidents are happening, and our brave men and women are like sheep in a pen. The BG are not following the rules by brining a firearm on base. By following the rules the people on base are putting themselves in harms way. If a person is allowed to carry in that state, they should be allowed on that installation,in my opinion. Poeple in the military are trained to handle firearms.
I think it is talking in circles the way that they restrict personal weapons on the installation.

IMHO if you're Active Duty-ON Federal Property you open carry. You never know when the base could be attacked. ALL installations to include NWS's are way to over civilianized. NEED to put more of the onus on our Active Duty people. Sh*t, If you can't trust our active duty people, you need to kick their asses out.
"NOT ON MY WATCH, NOT IN MY NAVY!!!"

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." --author and philosopher Ayn Rand (1905-1982)

Miltary.com
New Navy Rules for Personal Firearms
Week of June 28, 2010

"The Navy has announced a policy change regarding personal firearms. One highlight of the new policy is the ability for all Sailors to store their personal firearms in base housing or armories (when space is available), as long as they receive prior written approval from the installation commanding officer. Weapons must be stored in a locked container, a locked gun rack, or secured with approved trigger locks to keep the weapon from firing. Weapons are still prohibited in other on-base locations. The policy also clarifies that Sailors must comply with all federal, state, and local laws, and that concealed weapons are never allowed on Navy installations, regardless of local law. "

Yeah, that was pretty much how it was for me in the Marines. Except the armory messed up my Marlin 336 while "storing" it.

AND?!?

That's nothing new. That's been the policy for decades now. All the Navy did was send out a message in response to Ft. Hood stating a formal Navy policy that had already been in effect anyway for decades.

I was looking forward to re-enlisting a Sailor today in civilian clothes at a remote location. I had my 1851 Navy revolver (replica) all loaded up and ready to go to open carry for the re-enlistment, but it's rained out. I have to do re-enlistments in civilian clothes if we want to exercise our 2nd amendment rights because personal firearms are not allowed to be worn in uniform, and they won't issue me a gun just to do a re-enlistment with.

Wow, thats a sucky rule.

williemartin, I don't think it'd do any good for a Federal law allowing carry on base. The installation commander is still the ultimate authority on that base and too many of them would issue a policy letter saying no carry allowed. I know several other Soldiers that carry concealed here in TX and are just as aggravated at the Army policy.

YMOS,
Tony

ok, so would I be wrong in saying that any sane person, even a gun grabbing libtard, would think it's completely backwards that our own military isn't allowed to carry weapons on military installations?

ok, so would I be wrong in saying that any sane person, even a gun grabbing libtard, would think it's completely backwards that our own military isn't allowed to carry weapons on military installations?

Nor in uniform off-base, either!

The "Armorer" was probably screwing with it.

Well, I think they took the thing to the range. I turned them into the armory perfectly clean and scratch free, but got them back scratched up and full of powder residue. Since I was checking out of the Marines when I got them back, some Captain there just told me to hit the road! I wish it had been after 1600 that afternoon, that was when I was officially discharged, I would have told him to go you know what himself!:angry:

My dad entered navy ROTC in 1943, and when he served in the Philippines in 1945 and 1946, he always carried the sidearm they issued him. Of course, that was before "gun control," in a time when people figured that military officers could be trusted with firearms.

He commanded an LCT, and when the war was over, the job that he and his crew were given was to dump thousands of handguns, rifles, ammo, jeeps, trucks, shells, and other war materiel into the ocean. The actual work was done by Japanese prisoners of war who had wrongly assumed they would be executed and were happy to be doing anything at all, and by Filipinos who worked for free just to be able to eat U.S. Navy meals on the ship.

Interesting thought, Tony.....

williemartin, I don't think it'd do any good for a Federal law allowing carry on base. The installation commander is still the ultimate authority on that base and too many of them would issue a policy letter saying no carry allowed. I know several other Soldiers that carry concealed here in TX and are just as aggravated at the Army policy.

YMOS,
Tony

Using the same train of logic, would it be possible for an installation's CO to issue a policy letter ALLOWING carry on base? If so, maybe we should be leaning on CO's instead of Senators!

Boomboy,

Probably so. I'd have to look at the physical security regulation again but if I remember correctly all it calls for is registration of all arms brought onto post. I think is does require Soldiers living in the barracks to store them in the arms room. There is a sign at each gate that states that carrying a firearm is forbidden. I have found an old policy letter, from a couple of CGs ago, that allowed holders of concealed carry permits to carry on post. Since I never found a letter revoking that I guess I could always claim I thought it was still valid.

YMOS,
Tony

Sign on gate is following a newer policy letter or regulation. Disobey it and your old policy letter is just good for toilet paper. Any policy letter over two commanders old isn't policy anymore, trust me.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back