Naming your gun

GOV5

This is a suggestion that would really help the new folks here. When you say that you own a particular gun, say SIG 250, please explain a little about it. For instance, I have a Smith & Wesson 442, It's a small J frame revolver with a 2" barrel that shoots .38 special+p ammo.

Sometimes, some one will just post that they carry a P 250/380/XXX. A lot of manufacturers use "P" or "T" for as part of their model number. It really doesn't define the maker of the gun.

This would save a lot of research time on the part of newcomers. Thanks in advance for the consideration of this request.

I have my custom user title set for my favorite line of pistols - the Springfield Armory XD Series. I did that for the sake of clarification for the reason you mention above. I also do my best to state as much basic information as I can about my firearms when I post - for the very reasons you mention above. Same w/terminology. I've always found it somewhat rude to assume that everyone knows what an acronym is, particular "thing" might be or just what you're on about if you post a somewhat cryptic question/line that requires the reader to be on the exact same mental page as you.

Just sayin'....

BTW, when I saw the thread title, I thought you meant "giving your gun a name". My two XD-40's have names: Dean and Sam Winchester. The name came about when I first brought the SubCompact home w/some Winchester PDX rounds. I thought it might be fun to get the family involved by asking them if they wanted to give the pistol a special name. Wife said "How about Dean or Sam Winchester? Name it after the box of ammunition." The kids loved the idea - my daughter, Wife and I are all fans of the TV Show "Supernatural", which features the brothers Dean (the older, but shorter brother) and Sam Winchester, who hunt monsters, ghosts and demons.

So, the Sub-Compact became known as Dean, which is fitting as Dean is the older, somewhat shorter more compact brother. Three weeks later I purchased the XD-40 Service (4" barrel) and it was immediately christened Sam, who is the younger, taller brother. Silly little story, I know. Maybe I'll start a separate thread.... :biggrin:

"I've always found it somewhat rude to assume that everyone knows what an acronym is, particular "thing" might be or just what you're on about if you post a somewhat cryptic question/line that requires the reader to be on the exact same mental page as you. "

I believe you are concerned with TMGDA, Too Many G*d D**m Acronyms.

I know what ya mean Gov5, I will say this though. I have learned alot about different guns because I have had to go google a certain P W S X Dm 2000 etc etc....getting on the different manufactures sites has been really interesting!!:biggrin:

TMGDA sounds about right. Honestly, I catch myself doing it occasionally w/civilian friends & family, bur learned early in my career to mentally filter myself - sorta like how some of us have to mentally filter use of expletives at certain times.

Understanding rifle, pistol, shotgun gauges, calibers, and bullets, shot size is a science all in itself.

For example the Taurus Judge 3"

It will fire a .45 caliber bullet, which is .454" diameter lead, or .451 jacketed diameter. The .45 Colt cartridge is a handgun cartridge dating to 1872. It began as a black powder revolver round developed for the Colt Single Action Army revolver.
This is also known as a 45 long colt, not to be confused with a 45 acp. In addition, one can fire a S&W Schofield 45 caliber, which is .450" diameter in the .45 long colt pistol. It should be noted that the .45 long colt can not be fired in a 45 schofield pistol.

The .45 Colt is the basis for the much more powerful .454 Casull cartridge, with the .454 Casull having a slightly longer and stronger case. Any .454 Casull revolver will also chamber and fire .45 Colt, but the inverse is impossible due to the Casull's longer case.

The recently introduced .460 Smith and Wesson Magnum cartridge has the same diameter as a .45 Colt or .454 Casull, and therefore revolvers chambered for it will also chamber the .454 Casull and .45 Colt. However you can not shoot .460 or 454 in the .45 long colt. Nor can you shoot the 460 in the 454.
I am assuming you might be able to shoot the .45 schofield in either the .45 long colt, 454 casull, or 460. I would call the factory before attempting.

The 3" Judge will also fire 2 3/4 or 3" shot, slug, or buckshot shot shells. These are in .410 gauge, which is really not a gauge but a barrel diameter. All other shotguns are measured their barrels by "gauge sizes.

My EDC is a Warthog.

That's a large ugly pig-like critter

or is it a 3", 10-rd 1911?

I bet that cameraman LOVED the fact that Colbert had his booger hook on the trigger while pointing the gun at the camera.

"I've always found it somewhat rude to assume that everyone knows what an acronym is, particular "thing" might be or just what you're on about if you post a somewhat cryptic question/line that requires the reader to be on the exact same mental page as you. "

Know what you mean. I got tired of them while in the military. I see how my kids (not so small anymore) text with them and text fast, but I'm too much of a throwback to do it correctly.

The two acronyms that need to always be remembered are:

TANSTAAFL - There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch (Thank you Heinlein) and

BOHICA - Bend Over Here It Comes Again (Sign seen on a Career Planner's wall in the USMC)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back