My first encounter with a 'gun free' zone.

Earlier today I was at the movies and as I was going past the employee who takes tickets I noticed a small sign that read: Firearms Prohibited. I excused myself, put my cc weapon in my truck, and went back inside where I asked to speak to the manager.

The manager came out and I asked him politely 'Does this company really think that a sign prohibiting firearms will stop someone with violent criminal intent?' and that 'as a concealed firearms permit holder I don't feel comfortable leaving my safety to many others besides myself?' He told me that he was shocked I even noticed the sign. He informed me that he is also a concealed firearms permit holder and in his very many years there no one else has even asked about it and was grateful that I did.

He mentioned to me that he has spoken to 'corporate' himself but to no avail, and the corporate policy of 'no weapons allowed' makes him uncomfortable as well. I asked him 'So as long as I don't tell anyone, mums the word?' and his reply was 'You got it, Sir.' I believe he just gave me permission to carry in his theater in a round about way.

More than likely I will choose another theater from now on. I just felt this experience was worth sharing as the manager felt the way many of us sheepdogs do.

Stay Safe, Carry Often.

Kudos for opening up a dialogue with the manager. Way too many of us digging in our heels and acting like jerks with ineffective boycotts...and way too few of us reaching out, winning hearts and minds, trying to effect changes.

With that said, I have a few additions / suggestions.

1) I would recommend not going to that theater. While the manager may be ok with you carrying (and seems like a nice enough guy), you may still get in a bind. If you have to use the gun in self-defense, or if you inadvertently expose your firearm and scare someone, the owners of the theater may try to prosecute for trespass etc, or sue for who-knows-what. And it's almost certain that the nice manager at that point will not remember the conversation, because he wants to keep his job and continue feeding himself and his family.

2) If you want to continue attempting to effect change...rally as many of your fellow concealed-carriers as you can, and write a letter to the ownership of the theater. Make sure to not say anything that will "jam up" the manager, but instead address the "no gun" policy and its shortfalls. Sometimes owners will listen to multiple customers, when they will not listen to employees or a single customer.

Thanks for sharing your experience. :)

Wow! what an experience! Thank you for sharing. I carry conceal in a theatre. I do not want to be a sitting duck like others.

@Phillip Gain: Thanks for the advice! From now on I am going to a different theater, but at that time the tickets/food/etc. were already in hand. I will definitely be spreading the word to my fellow cfp holders!

As an aside, for those viewers who may be from UT, here you go: Link Removed

Stay Safe, Carry Often.

My own personal policy is this... Avoid these places when possible. When not possible, carry anyway. If you live in a place where it is a criminal offense to merely conceal carry in an establishment where it's posted you should not, then it's time to move to another state.

Check your local laws...In some cases, a sign carries no weight. It is only when directly told, that you are considered trespassing or in violation of the local gun law.

Good for you. Here in NC you can not carry where admission is charged so any movie theater is a no go whether they are posted or not. What sense that makes has yet to be explained to me.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back