Muzzle Awareness & General Safety Tips

Itstjs

Most of you know I work as an Armed Security Officer. Tonight, during shift change, an employee of ours was showing off his new toy, a Tarus (not sure of the model) Hes a newer employee, and former 101 airborne vet. As he approaches, I firstly notice the unfit for duty holster he had. Some crosspoint walmart holster you typically see kids with using airsoft guns in. I first corrected him on that, he proceeded to draw his weapon and show off his pistol. I had no problem with it until I noticed 2 things.
1st he did not unload his firearm, and 2nd, he did not point it in a safe direction. Instead, he proceeded to flag about 3 other employees, the barrel of the weapon basically dragged along the lower abdomen and crotch region of all 3 employees, me included. He began talking about tactical reloading before I stopped him. I informed him he needed to reholster his weapon and not point his gun at anyone. Instead, he ignored me more less and flagged us one more time. I snapped into Army mode and told him if his weapon wasnt holstered in the next 3 seconds I was going to drop his ass. I let him figure out what that meant.

It got me to thinking, is it a common occurrence among persons who handle firearms all of the time? I am a firm believer in safety first. I typically drop my mag before unholstering my weapon and maintain positive muzzle awareness, point the weapon at ground level and remove the chambered round. On average, at least 500 people die each year from accidental discharges, typically shooting a friend or family member and upwards of 3500 accidentally shoot themselves each year (accidentally deleted the source I pulled off google for the statistics) All the accidents could have been avoided if said persons would have exercised proper safety by pointing the weapon in a safe direction (usually the ground as I was taught in the Army) and kept the finger out of the trigger-well. I believe every once in a while, we all need to be reminded just how deadly the weapons we carry daily are. We become so complacent we often figure "We know it all" and "have done it a thousand times."
When showing someone a new weapon we have purchased, although excited, we should make sure the other person knows what youre doing prior to drawing your weapon, in most cases, other persons around may not know what youre doing and interpret your actions as hostile or offensive, although 90% of the time I assume were in our own homes or a friends home, and they all know you bought a new toy and youre going to show them anyway.
Anyway, wanted to post something regarding muzzle awareness. Although this was somewhat of a stupid rant, and an "I know I know" type post.

Well if you keep your finger off of the trigger you can point the barrel of your loaded gun where ever you want it it will not fire off a round. Because people can not remember to keep their finger off of the trigger it was decided that one should first remove the magazine and the round from the chamber before showing their gun to others. While I know a gun will not fire if the trigger is not pulled I feel a lot better knowing that it is unloaded and pointed at the ground.

Last edited:
It's all in the training. When I was in the Boy Scouts and in the Army, muzzle awareness was paramount. A few years ago my wife and I took a combat shooting course and muzzle awareness was very lax. We even pointed our firearms at the instructor and each other and he at us. I left there thinking "things must have changed in the last forty years". However, my NRA instructor's course place heavy emphasis on muzzle control and, in fact, was a basis for failing the course. Our instructor would ask us to perform a simple task for our classmates and then watch to see where we pointed the muzzle. I'm with the Scouts, Army and NRA on this issue.

In shooting competition if your muzzle ever sweeps anywhere but downrange, you're done.

That's very true. Says something about safety and eliminating the possibility of an unintended recipient. Can't hurt someone if it is not pointed at anyone and if you keep your finger off the trigger until you have an intended target. Wow two non mechanical safeties for everyone's gun!:wacko:

Four basic rules of safe gun HANDLING:

1) Every gun is always loaded (this is a state of mind, you always treat every gun as if it is loaded. There is no excuse of, I thought there wasn't one in the chamber, especially since many weapons require you to dry fire before you can field strip them)
2) Do not cross over or point at anything you do not wish to destroy. (Your colleague is a moron.)
3) Keep your finger off the trigger, at register, until you are on target and have made the conscious decision to fire. (Even when I dry fire to field strip my firearm, I always point it in a safe direction, just in case I may have forgot to clear the chamber (and I'm one to rack the slide multiple times and finger check the chamber)... mistakes happen, this is why we follow these rules)
4) Be aware of your target, what is near and beyond.

These rules should be ingrained into everyone that carries a firearm. Yes, the gun can't go boom unless you pull the trigger. I get this, but the other three rules reduce the risk of making a fatal mistake of the finger rule.

Thanks for reminding us of the importance of safety Itstjs.

I so want one of these: Link Removed

Created by a couple who are instructors, and getting tired of students pointing guns at them!

I reported the issue like I said, sad thing is, this guy is unaware of company policies and refuses to follow contract regulations that state UNARMED OFFICER = NO WEAPON. The coworker I speak of does not have a CPL and is BIG on open carry. I OC, and I wont knock anyone that does OC, however, this guy assumes because its an Open Carry state, he can carry when he wants and where he wants. Almost got him fired. However he did get a Final [write up] and is suspended for 3 days.
Hopefully he understands, as well as all of us, Flagging a person who is not an intended target, loaded or unloaded is not acceptable. I personally would loved to have knocked this guy out, but didnt feel like having the gung ho OCer shoot me for it. [its his frame of thinking, he talks about it quite a bit] I recommended they put him through a Self Defense law course, [usually standard with all new S/Os at my company] however due to small budget cuts, they dont offer them anymore.

Most of you know I work as an Armed Security Officer. Tonight, during shift change, an employee of ours was showing off his new toy, a Tarus (not sure of the model) Hes a newer employee, and former 101 airborne vet. As he approaches, I firstly notice the unfit for duty holster he had. Some crosspoint walmart holster you typically see kids with using airsoft guns in. I first corrected him on that, he proceeded to draw his weapon and show off his pistol. I had no problem with it until I noticed 2 things.
1st he did not unload his firearm, and 2nd, he did not point it in a safe direction. Instead, he proceeded to flag about 3 other employees, the barrel of the weapon basically dragged along the lower abdomen and crotch region of all 3 employees, me included. He began talking about tactical reloading before I stopped him. I informed him he needed to reholster his weapon and not point his gun at anyone. Instead, he ignored me more less and flagged us one more time. I snapped into Army mode and told him if his weapon wasnt holstered in the next 3 seconds I was going to drop his ass. I let him figure out what that meant.

It got me to thinking, is it a common occurrence among persons who handle firearms all of the time? I am a firm believer in safety first. I typically drop my mag before unholstering my weapon and maintain positive muzzle awareness, point the weapon at ground level and remove the chambered round. On average, at least 500 people die each year from accidental discharges, typically shooting a friend or family member and upwards of 3500 accidentally shoot themselves each year (accidentally deleted the source I pulled off google for the statistics) All the accidents could have been avoided if said persons would have exercised proper safety by pointing the weapon in a safe direction (usually the ground as I was taught in the Army) and kept the finger out of the trigger-well. I believe every once in a while, we all need to be reminded just how deadly the weapons we carry daily are. We become so complacent we often figure "We know it all" and "have done it a thousand times."
When showing someone a new weapon we have purchased, although excited, we should make sure the other person knows what youre doing prior to drawing your weapon, in most cases, other persons around may not know what youre doing and interpret your actions as hostile or offensive, although 90% of the time I assume were in our own homes or a friends home, and they all know you bought a new toy and youre going to show them anyway.
Anyway, wanted to post something regarding muzzle awareness. Although this was somewhat of a stupid rant, and an "I know I know" type post.

You say you care about safety. I guess you don't care to much about your own. If your going to go around telling a guy who has a loaded weapon out of a holster, that you are going to drop them. Talk like that is exactly how violence starts. You could have gotten your point across with out threatening violence.

I just had this happen the other day. A friend of mine is on leave from the Air Force and will be retiring on Nov 1 after 28 years of service. He was talking about getting a small 380 and I told him they are making smaller 9mm now and I would go that route. Anyway, he asked what I was carrying so I unholstered my S&W Bodyguard, dropped the mag and ejected the chambered round. He proceeds to pick up the gun and first thing he does is point it t his face while he is looking at it! I know he just watched me clear it, but I would double check before I did anything that crazy!

You say you care about safety. I guess you don't care to much about your own. If your going to go around telling a guy who has a loaded weapon out of a holster, that you are going to drop them. Talk like that is exactly how violence starts. You could have gotten your point across with out threatening violence.

He had just been crossed over with the muzzle of a loaded gun twice.... he informed the perpetrator of this stupid act once already that he needed to holster the weapon and was ignored. His second attempt to get the perpetrator to holster his weapon was more aggressive. Just out of curiosity, how many times would you have politely asked him to put it away?

There are some people out there that just don’t get safety.

One of my friends started “customizing” and selling guns and parts. He is hands down one of the scariest people to go shooting with. His finger is always warped around the trigger and he points it at everyone. We refuse to go shooting with him anymore.

I told him 5 times to get his finger off the trigger and do not point it at anyone. I finally called it quits and left because he kept doing it.

You just can’t fix stupid.

There are some people out there that just don’t get safety.

One of my friends started “customizing” and selling guns and parts. He is hands down one of the scariest people to go shooting with. His finger is always warped around the trigger and he points it at everyone. We refuse to go shooting with him anymore.

I told him 5 times to get his finger off the trigger and do not point it at anyone. I finally called it quits and left because he kept doing it.

You just can’t fix stupid.

Remember you are not the stupid police and you aren't required to fix stupid.
~
You can however do what you did appropriately by avoiding stupid.
~
If this person asks you to go shooting just calmly let him know that you aren't interested and why and let it go at that.
~
If this guy was a friend, sorry you have lost a friend. Better to lose a friend than loose your life.

I just had this happen the other day. A friend of mine is on leave from the Air Force and will be retiring on Nov 1 after 28 years of service. He was talking about getting a small 380 and I told him they are making smaller 9mm now and I would go that route. Anyway, he asked what I was carrying so I unholstered my S&W Bodyguard, dropped the mag and ejected the chambered round. He proceeds to pick up the gun and first thing he does is point it t his face while he is looking at it! I know he just watched me clear it, but I would double check before I did anything that crazy!

What the hell for he watched you clear the gun he was now holding. What a bullet magically got back in side of the cleared gun?
How was pointed an unloaded gun looking down the barrel crazy? I ask cause I am sure I am not the only one who looks down the barrel to make sure I got it clean after cleaning the gun, rifle or shotgun.

Now I will agree with you on it being crazy to look down the barrel of a gun you did not see get cleared before clearing it yourself. All this treat every gun as it is loaded is BS when I know that the gun is unloaded because I or someone else unloaded it in front of me. I can see the point that was trying to be made but it was only made to keep idiots from shooting someone else or themselves. Because we have all heard the "I thought it was unloaded" line of BS when the said owner of the firearm shoots someone. If you know the firearm is unloaded that means you are saying that there is nothing left in the firearm that can be ejected from it. To say you thought it was unloaded means you did not bother to check or confirm that it is unloaded.

As I have said before If I do not get to see you clear the firearm I do not want it pointed in my direction. And agree with the rule that you should always point your gun in a safe direction (at the ground) when clearing it or placing your finger on the trigger.

He had just been crossed over with the muzzle of a loaded gun twice.... he informed the perpetrator of this stupid act once already that he needed to holster the weapon and was ignored. His second attempt to get the perpetrator to holster his weapon was more aggressive. Just out of curiosity, how many times would you have politely asked him to put it away?

How about staying away from people like that. You him once what he was doing was a safety hazard he repeated the same action again making him an idiot who can not follow simple direction. Threatening an idiot is useless I would have just walked away in the opposite direction behind the idiot to avoid the mistake the idiot is bound to make one day of pulling the trigger thinking it was unloaded.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back