Must be doing it wrong, this is not comfortable

indymichaelb

Relatively new to ccw
Have tried a number of holsters and not having fun
Latest holster is the crossbreed supertuck

Carrying anywhere ahead of 3 and it jabs into my leg when sitting
Anywhere after 3 and it feels like I'm leaning against an iron bar while driving

Other people keep saying they don't feel a thing, what am I doing wrong?

Relatively new to ccw

Carrying anywhere ahead of 3 and it jabs into my leg when sitting
Anywhere after 3 and it feels like I'm leaning against an iron bar while driving

You probaly aren't doing anything wrong. Driving with a gun in a holster is a ***** period, try removing the gun from the holster when you drive.

Whenever people say they don't feel thing I believe they are merely expressing that they have grown accustomed to holster being there. I have a crossbreed supertuck for my Ruger SR40c and, while I still know it's there when wearing, I must say that it's one of the most comfortable and concealable holsters you'll ever find. I guess, relatively speaking, it's the closest thing you can have to a comfortable IWB holster. Now if comfort is your ultimate goal you may want to look around at some high ride, pancake style OWB holsters.

It depends on the gun, the holster, the individual, their clothing choice...

There are situations where I carry my Kahr CM9 in my N82 IWB (at about 4:30) while driving, even for long distances. Truly don't notice much of anything. Again...good holster, small gun...it depends on many things.

I know of people who cannot carry even the smallest firearm IWB. They just cannot get comfortable. It will come down to you and your preferences.

I resisted IWB holsters for several years, despite a friend's constant praise of them. He finally got me to try a Remora IWB on my Sig P290. It wasn't "uncomfortable" at first, just a little unusual feelilng. It only took a day or so of practice carry at home for it to feel completely normal. I have tried those holsters on both a Bersa 380 and a Bersa Thunder 45 and found them just as workable.

If you don't have a really good Gun Belt your not going to get the kind of support you need.
I carry at 4:00, maybe 4:15 and it feels great. Your choice of Holster is right on I just think you need to invest the same amount of money in your belt.
Complete the rig and you'll feel fine.

Relatively new to ccw

Carrying anywhere ahead of 3 and it jabs into my leg when sitting Anywhere after 3 and it feels like I'm leaning against an iron bar while driving This sounds like you have a gun with a lengthy barrel. Most people I know who carry IWB have guns that are shorter. My LC9 has about a 3" barrel, and in my Crossbreed it is not an issue. If your barrel extends below the leather portion of the holster this could be the issue.

Timothy Bryant is spot on saying that people get used to it, but while it will feel unusual at first, it should not be painful. I personally find that carrying at 3 provides the best access, and is more comfortable both sitting and standing, and it doesn't irritate while walking. Belt is important, pants a size bigger is important, but having it secure enough that it does not move from your desired position when moving around is important as well.

Like others have said, you will know it's there. You carry enough and get it in the right position for you, it shouldn't be uncomfortable. Experiment with the ride height and forward cant. Get a pant size at least one size larger in the waist and a wide stiff belt. I carry a M&P40c in a Crossbreed Supertuck at 3:00, took a while to get it right. Now it's know problem.

It took about a month for me to get used to my carry. The holster has to get broken in. I carry either my SCCY CPX2 or the 1911 at or just in front of 3:00. Give it time and carry every day to get comfortable.

I think body type and weapon size will be the biggest issues. A good gun belt is important, but not so much when seated. I carry a P226 (4.4" barrel, 7.7" overall) in a Minotaur MTAC IWB Holster at about 3:30. Over the last three years that I've worn this combination I can "almost" forget that it's there. I'm 5'10" and 200 lbs (yeah, I'm overweight) and it suits me fine. If I had a more slender frame I don't think it would work as well and I'd probably drop to a 9 mm compact weapon. But I am what I am, and this works for me.

I think the thing anyone would need to answer the question on here is whether your gun is a standard size, compact, subcompact etc.

You might want to try a different holster, too. I've had holsters that were uncomfortable and holsters that I put in the same position that worked just fine. There may also be some adjustment time needed as well.

You probaly aren't doing anything wrong. Driving with a gun in a holster is a ***** period, try removing the gun from the holster when you drive.

If I not mistaken in SC you remove the gun you must secure it in your glovebox, console or trunk or some secure container. Lost seconds that could count. This is one advantage of a Remora type holster--I can shift it while in car and reshift it before I exit car.

A good gun belt helps a lot, keeps the gun and holster from wanting to tip out. I carry a sub compact 1911 at 1 or appendix carry. Easy when driving and just make a small adjustment when you exit the car. The holster is a Remora. It takes some getting used to carrying.

hybrid holsters like a crossbreed/Fox are designed mainly to be worn between 3 and 5 o'clock on a Righty. If you want to wear in the 10 to 2 o'clock positions, look at an AIWB holster (appendix carry)

The gun in question is a S&W M&P 9mm compact.

Thanks for the replies. I'm going to go buy a real gun belt today and see if that helps

I own a crossbreed supertuck. First off, youve got to give it some time to break in. The holster itself being leather is going to be quite stiff. Mine has somewhat curled on the edges a bit, and honestly, I forget its there half the time. I carry a full size M&P 40, youd figure it would be uncomfortable, but its not. Ive never had the issue of it pinching my leg or feeling like a iron bar. Maybe its the pants your wearing? I usually buy pants about 1/2 an inch too big just so I can accommodate carrying concealed, get yourself a nice stiff belt too this will help a little bit.

When I first started carrying I had the same issue. Anytime I sat in my car or a chair the barrel would either push into my thigh or the holster clips would come off my belt.

That's when I learned that you have to have a proper cant on your holster. The cant is the angled position of the pistol. If you're carrying your pistol straight up and down you will get jabbed when you sit down.
I carry at 2o'clock, I cant my pistol so the rear sights aim at my almost to belly button and the barrel is pointing out to my right side. Try adjusting your cant to what works best for you so you can sit properly AND be able to draw smoothly.

They come with instructions on how to get the leather broken in dont they? I recall that mine did, and I had to do it before it even started to become comfortable for me... after a few weeks, it got much better... BTW... carrying it isnt supposed to be comfortable, it is comforting...

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back