Moving from Ny to FL

JayTea

I have a NY concealed permit plus non resident permit in Fl and UT.
Is it necessary to inform or will I be asked by an appartment complex or a house renter in Fl as to if I have a gun?
I will be driving down to Fl from NY. I know the reprocity laws. Will a motel I'm staying at ask m during registration process if I am carrying a gun?
If any of the above how do I answer?
thank you.

Why would they ask? And even if they do, you are under no obligation to inform them. We travel regularly to FL from NY to our home there and have never been asked if we have weapons at any hotel.

I realize you have knowledge of all the reciprocity laws, but I print and take copies of the state regs for the states we will be traveling through from handgunlaw.us in an envelope conveniently stashed in the map pocket. While I know which states I can carry and where I can't, I also assume that not every local sheriff or State Trooper won't know all of regs, especially when it comes to reciprocity. I don't want to be involved in one of those "arrest first...check the laws later" scenarios. Plus, it's always good to get the latest updates before traveling....like PA's recent change whereby they no longer honor non-resident permits from FL or UT (or anywhere else for that matter).

We always take our weapons into the room with us, but feel no need to inform or publicize that we have weapons. The copies of state regs also have headers indicating whether the state is a "Must Inform LEO" state. (Note: Must Inform applies to LEO ONLY) We always stay in states who honor our FL non-res permits, so if we have to take the dog out in the middle of the night, we're not alone in a parking lot or landscaped area nearby.

As for house or apartment rentals... if they do a background check, it may or may not come up....but realize that you don't need a permit to buy a gun in Florida and can have it in your home or car(as an extension of your 'home') for your own personal security. You only need a ccw permit to carry it on your person. So, it's likely the people renting you the home or apartment have weapons themselves.

Just remember the word CANT...Carry Always Never Tell... (except LEO where REQUIRED BY LAW).... Why would you tip your hand?

Is it necessary to inform or will I be asked by an appartment complex or a house renter in Fl as to if I have a gun?
I will be driving down to Fl from NY. I know the reprocity laws. Will a motel I'm staying at ask m during registration process if I am carrying a gun?
thank you.

first off congratulations on your escape from that evil place, to answer your other questions NO! you do not ever inform anyone that you are carrying or in possession of a gun with the exception being in many states like NC and SC you are obligated to inform any cop that you interact with immediately that you are carrying on your person a gun, if it is stowed as per fopa you do not need to inform anyone.
in addition to knowing the reciprocity laws you need to learn where you can and cannot carry a firearm in each state you are passing through, each state is slightly different, go to Handgunlaw.us and study up on ALL the laws in every state you plan on passing through, good luck and safe trip

thank you.

Welcome to FL - so far we still have our rights, although some people are working hard to try to change that. And, no, no one will ask.

re: PA,
I am not certain about the changes but I do know that PA has recently changed it's laws about non resident permits, but clarification from those who know better is in order because it is my belief that the changes only affects PA residents. many PA residents were using out of state permits to get around local permit rules or rejections.

YMMV

this is not legal advice that could or should be taken seriously because I don't even play a lawyer in my dreams.

I looked it up and as far as I can tell, you are incorrect: PA does NOT honor non-resident permits from FL, only resident permits.
Link Removed

It seems clear to me. Am I missing something or looking in the wrong place?

This will make it more clear and accurate.

Link Removed
NOTICE FROM ATTORNEY GENERAL KATHLEEN G. KANE

The Attorney General of Pennsylvania has entered into a modification of the current firearm reciprocity agreement with the state of Florida. This reciprocity agreement previously permitted citizens of Pennsylvania who were not also Florida residents to obtain a Concealed Carry Permit (hereinafter "CCP") from the state of Florida. The CCP would then be honored in Pennsylvania without the need for a CCP granted by a Pennsylvania issuing authority. This agreement has been modified as follows pursuant to the authority of the Attorney General of Pennsylvania as found in 18 Pa.C.S. § 6109(k)(1):
1. If you are currently a resident of Pennsylvania only and have a CCP from the state of Florida, your Florida permit will no longer be recognized in Pennsylvania 120 days from the date of this Notice, or on June 8, 2013. In the proscribed time period you may apply for a CCP in the county of your residence. Please be aware that your local Sheriff or Police Department (in cities of the First Class) will have forty-five (45) days from the date of your application on which to grant or deny your application for a CCP.
2. If you are a dual resident of Pennsylvania and Florida you need not apply for a CCP in Pennsylvania if you currently hold a CCP from Florida. You must, however, carry with you proof of your Florida citizenry/residence along with your CCP identification when you are carrying a concealed firearm either on your person or in a vehicle.
3. If you are a resident of Florida only and have a CCP from Florida it will continue to be honored in Pennsylvania with all the same rights and recognition as contained in the Reciprocity Agreement between said States.
IMPORTANT
This Notice does not impact the validity of Pennsylvania CCP's issued to residents of Pennsylvania. All valid and unexpired Pennsylvania CCP's remain in full force and effect. Further, if you are a resident of Pennsylvania only and have a CCP from Pennsylvania it will continue to be honored in Florida with all the same rights and recognition as contained in the Reciprocity Agreement between said States.

Now the reason for this is because in Philadelphia which is in Pennsylvania which is a shall issue state.
There is a preemption law in effect. That means that even a city can not overrule state gun laws.
The geniuses in Libtard Philly don't want to give out carry permits. That is against the law.
They try to get around this by NOT staffing the city dept. that handles the processing of CCPs. Someone the Sheriffs Dept.
Sooo the law was that even if you lived in Pa. and did not have a carry permit from the Pennsylvania (primary reason being you couldn't get one from Philly where you lived or in rare instances any other reason Pa. wouldn't give you one) you could get a non resident permit from Florida and use it in your home state of Pennsylvania.
The main impetus for this change in the Florida/Pennsylvania was the Libs in Philly.
OK you are not totally wrong and I guess I am not totally correct. This should make it clear for sure. I will delete my previous post and hide my mistake!
The only states that Pennsylvania does not recognize unless they are resident permits are: Res Permits Only:

Colorado, Florida, Maine, Michigan, New Hampshire

They couldn't make it harder, could they? Glad I don't live in Philly!

Thanks for the correction/clarification.

Thanks everyone for your answers. I just purchased an IPhone app to see state laws. I will be driving from NY to FL with my
Pistols in June. Looks like I95 all the way. I did not realize PA no longer recognizes UT or FL non resident permits anymore.
Two years ago they did.
I think as long as my guns and ammo are locked in a case in my car beyond my reach, I am safe in any state as long as I am just passing thru.
I would just take then to my hotel room in a gun friendly state along the way.
Now, just have to figure out what state along the way to rest.
I think I will be happy in FL vs NY!

Sorry about the question I asked about should I inform hotel check in that I have a gun. I have not traveled very much.

Make sure you have the guns and ammo in separate cases.
Plus, while the iphone app is great, I'd still keep a printed copy of state regs in an envelope in a map pocket or somewhere you can get at it. A local sheriff or trooper is NOT going to let you navigate your smart phone while you're bent over with your hands on the hood....but you can tell them where to find it and they can certainly pull the envelope out of the map pocket and read their own state's regs. Make it easy for them. Plus, it will let them know you have taken steps to act in a legal manner and are trying to conduct yourself within the law.

Good luck in FL. I'm right behind you (in a year or two) once I get all my business licensing taken care of. I've already written all of my Federal, State and Local legislators and outlined WHY I am taking my income (which I currently spend mostly here in NY) and (this one hurts them most) my tax dollars elsewhere...to a state which is more business friendly, doesn't infringe on my freedoms as a law abiding, productive citizen and has a lower cost of living due to less regulation.

I think I'm still a little confused about state laws while passing thru states on my way trip from NY
to Fl.
Question: if I lock my gun and ammo in my car in a gun safe (separate and out of reach) can I just drive thu all the states from NY to FL and not have any worries?
I would need to stop in two gun friendly states to stay at a hotel. What two states would you recommend?
I have a NY unrestricted and a UT and a Fl non resident liscence.
My neighbor said the best way is to have a NY dealer ship my gun to FL dealer, but I think that is expensive.
Thank you.

You shouldn't have any problem as long as they are in a locked case(s). We've made the trip many times without incident and usually stop only once unless weather forces us to stop for a second night. We're from western NY, so we take different routes depending on weather. In nice weather, we take the route through Pittsburgh, Rt 19 in W Va, I-77, I-26 to I-95 and will stay in either southern W.Va, then in Ga if we stop 2 nights. If only one night, we usually stop around Charlotte, NC. If the weather is bad through the mountains, we'll go the 'eastern' route and if we stop twice, Harrisburg, PA and GA (usually Savannah area). On a one stop trip, we usually stay around Richmond.

I'm not sure about stopping in PA anymore, now that they do not honor any of my permits....that is, unless I get a free couple hours (and twenty bucks) to make the trip to a County Sherriff's office and get my non-res PA permit. They're a must issue state and I'm told it's a pretty simple process.

I think I'm still a little confused about state laws while passing thru states on my way trip from NY
to Fl.
Question: if I lock my gun and ammo in my car in a gun safe (separate and out of reach) can I just drive thu all the states from NY to FL and not have any worries?
I would need to stop in two gun friendly states to stay at a hotel. What two states would you recommend?
I have a NY unrestricted and a UT and a Fl non resident liscence.
My neighbor said the best way is to have a NY dealer ship my gun to FL dealer, but I think that is expensive.
Thank you.
you have already been given the best advise possible here, if you want to listen to an idiotic neighbor go right ahead!

After 62 years in New York State, my wife and I have sold all our real estate holdings and in 2 months will be heading for Florida also. My wife's parents and sister (and her husband) live in the Punta Gorda area and after 25 years of visiting them there we have decided to join them. Can't handle NYS anymore ...... between the abysmal taxes, high cost of living, and lunatic gun laws, it's high time we get outa' Dodge !

After 62 years in New York State, my wife and I have sold all our real estate holdings and in 2 months will be heading for Florida also. My wife's parents and sister (and her husband) live in the Punta Gorda area and after 25 years of visiting them there we have decided to join them. Can't handle NYS anymore ...... between the abysmal taxes, high cost of living, and lunatic gun laws, it's high time we get outa' Dodge !

it took ya long enough! now that you have the first thing you can do is apply right now for your CWFL, Concealed Weapons or Firearm Program - Division of Licensing, FDACS.
good luck with your move

it took ya long enough! now that you have the first thing you can do is apply right now for your CWFL, Concealed Weapons or Firearm Program - Division of Licensing, FDACS.
good luck with your move

Well, I worked in engineering for a big telecom company and the money was great and so we raised our family here. But before you know it, 40 years has gone by in a flash. So I retired a little bit ago and we are ready to escape this place.

Thanks for the info on the CWFL. I presently have a CC permit for NYS (obtained it in 1974). Do you know if that would suffice for the "other acceptable training document that evidences your competency with a firearm" ?

I'm going to start another thread asking about places to shoot long guns and hand guns around the Punta Gorda area. I know it gets hot/humid down there for a few months in the summer (we've spent a couple weeks at a time with the relatives in summer), but we don't mind that sort of weather at all. Any advice for storing firearms with regard to preventing corrosion (or is it pretty much like storing a firearm anyplace you live) ?

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back