Motorcycle Carry

macmanjim

Does anyone on this forum carry on a motorcycle? If so, how do you carry, meaning what type of holster etc. I know some riders that put the pistol in a tank bag, but that isn't carrying concealed as far as I can tell, no? Usually the law may speak to cars and glove compartments, but motorcycles seem to be left out. So, part of my question is legality, the other is practicality, meaning what are the best practices. Carrying on a motorcycle has challenges that we don't have with a car.

Didn't get my permit untill Nov here in Wisconsin so not much riding time to carry my LC9. This spring I will try to ride and carry with a shoulder holster and see how that works. Dont know how comfortable i will feel with my wife sitting behind me though. When I need to go in somewhere it is not permitted, I'll put it in my tour pack.

I carry in my jacket or vest pocket mostly. On days that it is too hot to wear either I use my IWB holster. At first I felt like it would be at risk of falling out of the holster if I hit a large bump but after hundreds of miles it has never moved at all, if anything there is more pressure keeping it in the holster than when standing or sitting in a car. The concealed part though is hit or miss when my t-shirt rides up in the wind.

If I am carrying my DW Gardian 45 I will use the inside pocket in my jacket. I more often carry a S&W 38 spcl (#642) using a pocket holster and carry in my front pocket. Works great and I haven't had any issues with it falling out.

I suppose it depends on what type of gun is carried. I have a Commander and Hi Power. I use a high ride normally, but years ago, I tried shoulder rigs and crossdraw holsters for various reasons. The shoulder rig is great when a jacket can be worn, but if it has to come off, it's not so good. I used to be able to conceal a Dan Wesson 444 with 8" barrel this way...For the summer there has to be a better way. Like you said, if your t-shirt rides up from the wind, you aren't carrying so concealed. A PO could have an issue with that I suppose.

It's not really a big deal. What works for me walking down the street and driving my pickup, works when riding the Harley. In my case, using a Crossbreed SuperTuck is what works. I'm sure about any similar kydex based IWB holster would do the job. Make sure the holster is specifically made for the make and model of the pistol you carry. Retention is everything.

I carry my primary weapon as usual in my cross breed super tuck! I move my back up to either a vest or jacket pocket that is accessable to my left hand! So I can shoot and still use my bike to get away if necessary. Or I can return enough fire with my left hand to get BG to duck while I lay the bike down for cover and go for my primary weapon!

I'm in an open carry state, so I use my Blackhawk Serpa OWB for my XDM9 compact most of the time. When riding, I tuck my jacket behind the grip. If I know that I am going to be somewhere where CC is required or advisable, I use a Galco Skyops IWB.

I carry my primary weapon as usual in my cross breed super tuck! I move my back up to either a vest or jacket pocket that is accessable to my left hand! So I can shoot and still use my bike to get away if necessary. Or I can return enough fire with my left hand to get BG to duck while I lay the bike down for cover and go for my primary weapon!

Being left-handed might be an advantage while carrying on a motorcycle. As far as laying a bike down, I am not sure it offers better cover that way, but it may depend on the type of bike too.

I'm in an open carry state, so I use my Blackhawk Serpa OWB for my XDM9 compact most of the time. When riding, I tuck my jacket behind the grip. If I know that I am going to be somewhere where CC is required or advisable, I use a Galco Skyops IWB.

No open carry here, not for practical purposes at least. I wear a leather jacket when I ride, except when it get above 85-90˚F. The problem with a high ride with a jacket is getting to gun efficiently and quickly. May be in the jacket itself would be better.

Open carry here as well.

To me, its the only practical way to carry while riding or driving. I do not believe in shooting and moving a vehicle, if you can move the vehicle, move it in a different direction. Pulling a firearm while trying to maneuver a motorcycle is not a good idea. If you are stopped, and can go no where, you will not have enough time to draw if its concealed and your gloves are on. Open carry fixes all that. Haven't had any trouble with PO.

Anyone who thinks they need to be able to pull their firearm with their left hand while using the throttle, post a scenario when that would happen.

Wetsuit and the reply to his post, do not represent 99% of self defense shootings. Hollywood action scene sure... real life, no.

Open carry here as well.

To me, its the only practical way to carry while riding or driving. I do not believe in shooting and moving a vehicle, if you can move the vehicle, move it in a different direction. Pulling a firearm while trying to maneuver a motorcycle is not a good idea. If you are stopped, and can go no where, you will not have enough time to draw if its concealed and your gloves are on. Open carry fixes all that. Haven't had any trouble with PO.

Anyone who thinks they need to be able to pull their firearm with their left hand while using the throttle, post a scenario when that would happen.

Wetsuit and the reply to his post, do not represent 99% of self defense shootings. Hollywood action scene sure... real life, no.

I guess that is why they made cruise control. :) Seriously though, I doubt I would be shooting and riding too, but I wouldn't put never to it either. I suppose there must be some limited circumstance that possible could aside, but 99.9% of the time, it doesn't hold.

macmanjim:277956 said:
Open carry here as well.

I guess that is why they made cruise control. :) Seriously though, I doubt I would be shooting and riding too, but I wouldn't put never to it either. I suppose there must be some limited circumstance that possible could aside, but 99.9% of the time, it doesn't hold.

Lol I don't have cruise...I agree there are no absolutes in life. But, I won't carry in a way so my left hand can get to my firearm for the .01% chance. What do you do after you get off the bike at that point too? I feel, wear it how you usually wear it, doing worry about it getting exposed (unless open carry is illegal). Wear it open if you want to be able to access it quickly...and since self defense usual is really fast...I recommend it open.

I carry using a Blue Stone Safety concealed carry vest to carry my XDm compact while riding. If I decide to carry my 92FS, I use the same vest to cover a Miami Classic rig. When riding a motorcycle the vest is less of a "I got a weapon" indicator. There seems to be a lot more leather vests designed for concealed carry than when I bought the Blue Stone.

The other problem you indicated is tougher to deal with. Crossing state borders while carrying and complying with federal law. I use a big sissy bar bag to carry a helmet and I put a lockbox in it. When I stop to put the helmet on I put my weapon in the lockbox and stop again as soon as possible after crossing the border to put the weapon back in my holster. There are some who would argue this is an unnecessary step but I don't want to be a test case.

Lol I don't have cruise...I agree there are no absolutes in life. But, I won't carry in a way so my left hand can get to my firearm for the .01% chance. What do you do after you get off the bike at that point too? I feel, wear it how you usually wear it, doing worry about it getting exposed (unless open carry is illegal). Wear it open if you want to be able to access it quickly...and since self defense usual is really fast...I recommend it open.

I think open carry is legal for those that have CCW in the state I currently live in, but I was told by my FA instructor that we would be hassled by the police if we did so. He didn't recommend it. It never crossed my mind to do so, just want to find a comfortable and secure way to carry concealed. The one thing I hadn't given thought to was gloves. I am not sure I could use my pistols with the gloves I use, they are too heavy. May be lighter gloves are in order for summer riding.

I carry using a Blue Stone Safety concealed carry vest to carry my XDm compact while riding. If I decide to carry my 92FS, I use the same vest to cover a Miami Classic rig. When riding a motorcycle the vest is less of a "I got a weapon" indicator. There seems to be a lot more leather vests designed for concealed carry than when I bought the Blue Stone.

The other problem you indicated is tougher to deal with. Crossing state borders while carrying and complying with federal law. I use a big sissy bar bag to carry a helmet and I put a lockbox in it. When I stop to put the helmet on I put my weapon in the lockbox and stop again as soon as possible after crossing the border to put the weapon back in my holster. There are some who would argue this is an unnecessary step but I don't want to be a test case.

I have a lockable glove box in the fairing, two lockable panniers and a lockable top case. What's nice about the panniers and top case is that they are quick detachable and can be carried to a motel room. The glove box is where I keep my paperwork and I don't think I want a pistol in there if I get pulled over. Some riders, as I have said, put their pistols in a tank bag, but those aren't normally lockable and it's not concealed on one's person either. I'll have to take a look at blue stone.

No tall sized in the vests. I need 3-4 more inches length with shirts and jackets than the average bear.

I think open carry is legal for those that have CCW in the state I currently live in, but I was told by my FA instructor that we would be hassled by the police if we did so. He didn't recommend it. It never crossed my mind to do so, just want to find a comfortable and secure way to carry concealed. The one thing I hadn't given thought to was gloves. I am not sure I could use my pistols with the gloves I use, they are too heavy. May be lighter gloves are in order for summer riding.

As far as conforming to the instructor and your PD...that's up to you. I feel strongly enough about that topic that I encourage you to get your police department policy/mentality changed. The PD here was the same way until they detained the wrong guy, who knew his rights. Charges dropped, lawsuit filed, entire PD got retraining and re-educating on the WA firearm laws. We have not had in incident in years. If you don't want to be that guy, that is fine, but someone needs to change your PD mentality before it embarrasses them (Canton, OH), or gets an innocent killed.

I am a firm believer in wearing appropriate protection when riding a motorcycle...even when its 110 degrees. Ballistic nylon is getting very protective, but so far I do not believe anything will outrun good leather gear on asphalt. Good leather protection is restrictive in my experience, couple that with restrictive leather gloves (remember if you wear light gloves, and do go down in a self defense instance, will your hands be in shape to handle a firearm?), triple that with a helmet (full face for me...brain buckets for whoever else wont' be as restrictive :) ), I am all ready at a disadvantaged in speed and vision. Quadruple that with concealing my firearm in those restrictive leathers, I might as well have not carried. This is my personal experience, others may have a great jacket they can get their glove in and a good purchase on their firearm. Just some things to think about.

As far as conforming to the instructor and your PD...that's up to you. I feel strongly enough about that topic that I encourage you to get your police department policy/mentality changed. The PD here was the same way until they detained the wrong guy, who knew his rights. Charges dropped, lawsuit filed, entire PD got retraining and re-educating on the WA firearm laws. We have not had in incident in years. If you don't want to be that guy, that is fine, but someone needs to change your PD mentality before it embarrasses them (Canton, OH), or gets an innocent killed.

I am a firm believer in wearing appropriate protection when riding a motorcycle...even when its 110 degrees. Ballistic nylon is getting very protective, but so far I do not believe anything will outrun good leather gear on asphalt. Good leather protection is restrictive in my experience, couple that with restrictive leather gloves (remember if you wear light gloves, and do go down in a self defense instance, will your hands be in shape to handle a firearm?), triple that with a helmet (full face for me...brain buckets for whoever else wont' be as restrictive :) ), I am all ready at a disadvantaged in speed and vision. Quadruple that with concealing my firearm in those restrictive leathers, I might as well have not carried. This is my personal experience, others may have a great jacket they can get their glove in and a good purchase on their firearm. Just some things to think about.

I used to wear a full face helmet, now I wear a modular or flip helmet. I have a very high quality First Gear leather jacket that has basic armor. It was the only good jacket of any brand I could find that fit me at all. Forget about mesh or nylon. I am 6'5, 58" chest and 34" leg inseam which means I am long torso. It's hard enough to find regular clothes that fit let alone moto gear.

I ride every day, use my truck maybe once every two weeks so the bike is my primary transportation. For all of the guns that I choose to carry I use pancake style holsters with thumb breaks. I have a few Desantis with thumb breaks but clips for my LCP and Bodyguard 380. For my Kahr PM9 I had a custom one made with a clip and thumb break .

I found Optics planet has the best prices. Here is a link for the one I have for the Bodyguard 380 but I only get black.
DeSantis Maverick Holster for S&W Bodyguard 380 FREE S&H 012BBU7Z0, 012TBU7Z0, 012BAU7Z0, 012TAU7Z0. DeSantis Style 012 Holsters, DeSantis Holsters.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back