Mixing ammo in RIA Tactical 1911 causing jams?

Timothy Bryant

Avoidinyew
Today I was firing my Rock Island Armory Tactical 45 and decided to alternate the ammunition in both my mags. I was using WWB 230 grain JHP alternated with Federal Champion 230 grain FMJ and I was experiencing a jam I have never encountered before. It always appeared to happen when the Federal's were attempting to chamber following one of the JHP's. It would appear as though the round would chamber but the extractor did not engage the round and the slide did not return fully to battery. The only way to remedy this was to drop the mag and firmly shake the round loose from the chamber. Has anybody else experienced this before or heard of this happening? The problem only seems to happen when I mix the ammunition (fired several mags full of only one ammo prior and after this event).

I have the same model as you and carry it everyday. At first I experienced the same problems but never mixed the ammo. The jam only occurred a few times but not very many. I have put about 2000 rounds or so through it and everything is very smooth. I have not modified anything on the firearm except for changing out the grips. My preference of ammo is either Winchester 230 grain brass or Federal 230 grain brass for target only. I have shoot a few other brands and they will fire but the 2 brands that I would prefer is the listed above. How long have you had your RIA and how many rounds would you say you have put through it?

I was firing my Rock Island Armory Tactical 45 and decided to alternate the ammunition in both my mags.

I have an RIA 3.5" barrel Officer 1911 with Hogue rubber wrap around grips. I also have a variety of other caliber handguns, 9mm, 380, 40 and I mix ammo in them all the time. I do it to see how well they function. Some shorter barrel weapons are known to have issues feeding HP ammo, but never heard of issues with FMJ round nose. Try some different ammo brands and see if the problem is still there. I have tried over a half dozen brands and both HP and FMJ. Fiocchi, Federal (American Eagle), Winchester, Hornady, PMC, Sellior & Beloit, Remington and more. I have discovered a few products that have issues with certain weapons. None of them were with the RIA. I like the idea of trying this, only because you never know when you might run out of ammo and be in an emergency situation; it would be good to know which ammo not to buy or use in a specific weapon. Rocks are incredibly good firearms for the price and I've had mine for 3 years now; shoot it about 3 or 4 times a year, just to make sure it still functions and it does just fine.

Link Removed

Last edited:
I have the same model as you and carry it everyday. At first I experienced the same problems but never mixed the ammo. The jam only occurred a few times but not very many. I have put about 2000 rounds or so through it and everything is very smooth. I have not modified anything on the firearm except for changing out the grips. My preference of ammo is either Winchester 230 grain brass or Federal 230 grain brass for target only. I have shoot a few other brands and they will fire but the 2 brands that I would prefer is the listed above. How long have you had your RIA and how many rounds would you say you have put through it?
I've had the RIA for about 4 months now and have probably put about 400 rounds through it (if that). Within my first fifty rounds I experience 2-3 nosedives but haven't experienced that issue since. I was starting to figure that the nosedive's were only a break-in issue and was becoming rather impressed with the way the gun was now feeding but got a little over zealous the other day when I started staggering my magazine with the FMJ's and Hollowpoints. Now I guess I'll have to try feeding a few hundred more through the gun WITHOUT mixing to be able to confidently say it was the staggered magazines causing the issue.

I have an RIA 3.5" barrel Officer 1911 with Hogue rubber wrap around grips. I also have a variety of other caliber handguns, 9mm, 380, 40 and I mix ammo in them all the time. I do it to see how well they function. Some shorter barrel weapons are known to have issues feeding HP ammo, but never heard of issues with FMJ round nose. Try some different ammo brands and see if the problem is still there. I have tried over a half dozen brands and both HP and FMJ. Fiocchi, Federal (American Eagle), Winchester, Hornady, PMC, Sellior & Beloit, Remington and more. I have discovered a few products that have issues with certain weapons. None of them were with the RIA. I like the idea of trying this, only because you never know when you might run out of ammo and be in an emergency situation; it would be good to know which ammo not to buy or use in a specific weapon. Rocks are incredibly good firearms for the price and I've had mine for 3 years now; shoot it about 3 or 4 times a year, just to make sure it still functions and it does just fine.

Link Removed

I just ordered the Hogue Wraparounds you mention yesterday and am eagerly awaiting their arrival. Only time and testing will tell if I can trust my life to this pistol - so far I'm not filled with confidence.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back