Meeting people

Edsworld

My wife is taking classes at the community college (cnm) and one of her class mates invited us over for a bbq. There will be others from the class there.

Should I inform the home owner the I am carrying?

I have never met these people before and don't know how they might react to having a gun in their home.

If I don't tell them they will never know I am carrying, unless something goes down.

What would be the polite thing to do?

Until you know whether this acquaintance will evolve into a friendship, (bearing in mind that there is a huge difference), I'd subscribe to "don't ask, don't tell" :rolleyes:

What are you trying to get your post count up or what?
Of course you should keep your mouth shut about your "concealed" weapon.
Now stop asking stupid questions.

Until you know whether this acquaintance will evolve into a friendship, (bearing in mind that there is a huge difference), I'd subscribe to "don't ask, don't tell" :rolleyes:

That is the way I was thinking also.

Just never had this come up before. Not much of a socialite.

I agree with Jay >>>"don't ask, don't tell"! Of course at this BBQ you won't have any beer. Not even one will you?!

I'm just trying to get my post count up. But since there is a question on the table, don't tell.

Since my wife has her CHP, occasionally one of us will be the the designated CHP, usually her, if adult beverages are involved. This includes CC on a night out. :pleasantry:

I'm just trying to get my post count up. But since there is a question on the table, don't tell.

Since my wife has her CHP, occasionally one of us will be the the designated CHP, usually her, if adult beverages are involved. This includes CC on a night out. :pleasantry:

Not a bad idea. hadn't thought of that.

I usually don't drink on a first date anyway.

You folks are forgetting one important thing: Permit or not, you're right to carry on private property is dependant on the owner's wishes.

I'm going against the consensus (thus far) on this one. In most circumstances I would only carry in someone's house with their permission. In the situation described I would leave my pistol locked in my truck.

A person's home is their castle and I will respect their wishes just like I would want them to respect mine. I wouldn't even bring it up - I leave the gun elsewhere. Obviously I'm a gun owner but I would feel a little uneasy with an armed virtual stranger in my home, especially when alcohol may be flowing.

I would only use the "don't ask, don't tell" if for some reason I thought there might be a threat, and I would only enter such a situation if I felt as though I had little choice.

What are you trying to get your post count up or what?
Of course you should keep your mouth shut about your "concealed" weapon.
Now stop asking stupid questions.

Take a chill PILL and cool out! I can think of far more stupid posts that people have made on the forum. If it's bothers you this much then don't reply back to it.

I carry every where I am legally permited to do so. I see less risk if I simply discretely carry as normal than if I leave the gun in the car. Unless you specify that you don't want me to then I will be carrying.

This is a non issue until you make it an issue.

BTW one beer isn't going to kill anyone but I would limit it to one.
(Actually I don't drink so I'd limit it to none but see no problem w/ a drinker having one)

You folks are forgetting one important thing: Permit or not, you're right to carry on private property is dependant on the owner's wishes.

I'm going against the consensus (thus far) on this one. In most circumstances I would only carry in someone's house with their permission. In the situation described I would leave my pistol locked in my truck.

A person's home is their castle and I will respect their wishes just like I would want them to respect mine. I wouldn't even bring it up - I leave the gun elsewhere. Obviously I'm a gun owner but I would feel a little uneasy with an armed virtual stranger in my home, especially when alcohol may be flowing.

I would only use the "don't ask, don't tell" if for some reason I thought there might be a threat, and I would only enter such a situation if I felt as though I had little choice.

I don't go anywhere naked. If I can't carry some place, I don't go there.
That is why I ask this.

There is always a threat. When you think you are safe is when you are the most vulnerable.

+1 on that. But I have trouble trusting anyone till they have earned it! I would feel uneasy about entering someones home that I did not know at all other then in passing. For all you know they could be the next BTK or Theodore Robert "Ted Bundy". I will always be armed with some kind of weapon at all times. Firearm,Knife,pepper spray,Pen,paper clip and so on...... Always tell someone your location and who you will be with and what time you will be home.

I carry every where I am legally permited to do so. I see less risk if I simply discretely carry as normal than if I leave the gun in the car. Unless you specify that you don't want me to then I will be carrying.

This is a non issue until you make it an issue.

BTW one beer isn't going to kill anyone but I would limit it to one.
(Actually I don't drink so I'd limit it to none but see no problem w/ a drinker having one)

I don't really drink(maybe one or two a year if that) but I feel alcohol and firearms SHOULD NEVER BE MIXED! Even if it's just one I find the best rule is NONE while carrying a firearm(or using one). What would happen if you ended up using it for self defense later that night and witnesses say they saw you drinking? Opens a whole new can of worms. Then they would look into your judgment and mind set at the time of the shooting and so on.... I feel the same way about operating a motor vehicle ONE BEER IS TO MUCH.

What would happen if you ended up using it for self defense later that night and witnesses say they saw you drinking?

Then you get a BAT and show that you were under the limit at the time of the shooting. Done deal

I don't go anywhere naked. If I can't carry some place, I don't go there.
That is why I ask this.

There is always a threat. When you think you are safe is when you are the most vulnerable.

So you don't go to concerts or sporting events?? Your child's school? Your place of work if guns are prohibited there? You won't get on a plane?? Go to a couthouse even if summoned?? Walk into a police station if you needed to? Etc., etc. There are many places where you can't legally carry. You avoid these places??

Might as well live in a cabin in the wilderness somewhere.

I'm not quite at that point. The same laws that allow me to carry most of the time also prohibit me from carrying on some occasions. I can live with that.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back