Mandatory Disclosure

Gr8gunz

Does anyone know where I can get a list of states that require mandatory disclosure of a concealed firearm to a LEO when making a traffic stop?

Thanks

A great resource for this type of information is Handgunlaw.us . I don't know if their is a list of what you describe, but the info is definitely included in the state-by-state info.

I would like to see this list also. I read all sorts of bravado on this site about carriers saying it is no ones business. I respect the police and I don't want to make them nervous in any way. I also don't want to lose my lawful privilege to carry. I am from Michigan and I believe we are required to disclose if we are carrying.

I would like to see this list also. I read all sorts of bravado on this site about carriers saying it is no ones business. I respect the police and I don't want to make them nervous in any way. I also don't want to lose my lawful privilege to carry. I am from Michigan and I believe we are required to disclose if we are carrying.

And we wonder why our RIGHT to carry is diminishing, and why our police force's are stepping way over they boundaries...maybe more Americans need some "bravado". Maybe more Americans need to have respect for everyone, not just a select few. How is an officer who never finds out about my firearm more nervous? What are they nervous about?

I respect police as much as I respect anyone else. When I'm concealing I don't tell the gas station employee, the trash man, or the police...I still respect all those people unless they give me a reason not to.

Oh, and WA is not mandatory, and I do not notify, it's best to not bring it up.

Anytime and for any reason a LEO approches me i tell them. Only time I don't is when I don't carry, which is hardly none. Some states can tell just by running your plate.

I think to each his own. If you do not want tell a LEO that you have a weapon then don't. But if you want to then do it. I will tell them I do have a weapon on me or in my car if I have one at the time. This is my choice to be respectful and to let the LEO know I had a CCL. Most LEO's will spot a weapon that is being concealed. If you do not tell them then they may think you are carrying illegally. This may make a bad situation worse. I look both ways when the "Walk" light is on at an intersection even though I would be in the right. There is no reason to be "Dead Right".

I let everyone I come into contact with know I have a ccw because I respect them. Concealed means concealed..............

If you don't let everyone know, then obviously you have no respect for anyone. They all just want to go home at night, so it's better everyone knows for ease of mind.

I don't think anyone publishes an official list and I'm quite certain our gun rights are not diminishing.

Beyond that I'm not getting in this pissing contest beyond posting my standard response

This topic has been done to death.

In my experience those who do inform tend to be a little more authoritarian and tend to favor tighter restrictions on handgun permits.

Absent a legal requirement to do so, it’s ultimately your choice, do what works for you. I choose not to because IMO all it does is adds more time to the stop and gives the cop one more hassle to deal with.
In Colorado I am not required to inform the officer unless I am asked then I am required to surrender my permit w/ a valid ID. (CRS 18-12-204).

In Colorado my permit information is not tied to my driver’s license in anyway, the only way the cop is going to know I’m armed is if he sees it or asks me.

I don’t generally open carry. I have no objection; I just dress in a way that makes it impractical. If I am in my car my gun is generally on my right hip behind the seat belt I just don’t see the cop noticing it unless he has X-ray vision.

I carry my DL/registration/ proof of insurance in my wallet.

Bearing all that in mind this is how I handle a traffic stop.

As soon as the lights go on I take my wallet out of my pocket and have it in my hand I keep it in my hand until the stop is over, then I pull as far off the road as I can.

When that cop comes up to the car I have my hands in plain sight on the wheel w/ my wallet in my hand (no reaching for anything and giving the cop a chance to see my gun) I keep my wallet in my hand until the stop is over. I also turn the dome light on at night. IMO this negates the main rationale people give for informing, the cop isn’t going to notice my gun.

So, the cop asks for my papers I open the wallet, he can see everything I’m doing, and I hand him the documents and he does his thing and I’m on my way. No opportunity for him to notice any “suspicious bulges”. No reason for the cop to get nervous. No reason to prolong the stop.

If the cop asks me if I have any weapons in the car I say nothing and hand him my permit and go from there.
The only reason I would inform the cop w/out being asked is if he asked me to step out of the car.

In Colorado Springs that means I am almost certain to be patted down, so I hand him my permit before I get out of the car.

IMO “Showing respect” is nothing more than submissive urination, like a puppy that pees as soon as you touch it so you won’t beat it.

This subject has been debated, debated, debated, debated............................................................................ But for the befifit of those who are new why do those of you feel it is a sign of respect to tell a cop you are carrying when he(she) has no business knowing? It is NOT respect but an act of submission. If you are required to notify thats one thing. But if not why develop diarrea of the mouth? I have been stopped 3 times and have NEVER told the cop I was carrying. Its the same as when the cop comes up to the car and asks where you are going and where you have been. Its none of their business, period.

Becasue in 10 states it it the law. If you don't inform them you are breaking the law and may lose your permit/license to carry.

This subject has been debated, debated, debated, debated............................................................................ But for the befifit of those who are new why do those of you feel it is a sign of respect to tell a cop you are carrying when he(she) has no business knowing? It is NOT respect but an act of submission. If you are required to notify thats one thing. But if not why develop diarrea of the mouth? I have been stopped 3 times and have NEVER told the cop I was carrying. Its the same as when the cop comes up to the car and asks where you are going and where you have been. Its none of their business, period.

Completely agree. Keep your mouth shut is always good policy when talking to LEO. If they ask questions answer as concisely as possible without volunteering info. If you tell a cop who doesn't like your guns you are carrying you can make it very difficult for yourself. At a minimum you'll be late for work.

Becasue in 10 states it it the law. If you don't inform them you are breaking the law and may lose your permit/license to carry.

If you read my post carefully I said " IF you are required to notify thats one thing. But IF not why develop diarrea of the mouth?" Let me clarify. IF you are NOT required to notify it is NONE of their business.

not-this-again.jpg

I think it is very sad when, in this country, people consider it "bravado" to NOT tell a police officer about a lawfully possessed and carried object.

not-this-again.jpg

I think it is very sad when, in this country, people consider it "bravado" to NOT tell a police officer about a lawfully possessed and carried object.

Bravado?? I don't consider it bravado. I just don't think it's any of his business. I have a tire iron in the trunk which is a "lawfully carried object." Do I have to tell him about that too? How about my lunch in a bag next to me on the front seat? Maybe I should just make a list of all "lawfully carried objects" in the car and hand it to the LEO when he pulls me over.

Even though you don't have to tell the police that you are carrying, they will most of the time tell you they'll still want to know if your carring, they'll call it for there protection, even though it's not required. I know it's not right, but do you really want to have this police officer, pull the "I'm going to check everything on your car just for GP?

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back