Man arrested for Open Carry in Arbys - Louisville Ky

Sir Diealotz

Wife told me about this today.

Link Removed

"Helms was arrested and charged with menacing and disorderly conduct." Not for open carry.
"Unconcealed firearms are not allowed inside the restaurant, according to an employee of the Arby's." An Arby's employee is such a good source of info. Open carry is 100% legal in KY, that officer need to be schooled, and his dept should get sued by the guy. His Aunt, and mother I think made it worse. Also if the guy did not have a concealed permit, the cop was breaking the law telling him to cover up. The customers were not alarmed till the cop went into stupid mode.

Based on the version of incident presented in the story, in my humble opinion, the lawfully armed citizen in question failed to exercise good judgment when circumstances escalated. Go eat somewhere else.
Exercise your God-given rights with WISDOM people.
I love reading the comments at the bottom of the linked story. Thanks for posting Sir D!

Based on the version of incident presented in the story, in my humble opinion, it does not appear the lawfully armed citizen in question exercised good judgment under the specific circumstances.
Exercise your God-given rights with WISDOM people.
I love reading the comments at the bottom of the linked story. Thanks for posting Sir D!

No Problem,

First thing I said to the wife is that the kid has good grounds for a lawsuit however we weren't there and don't know all the details; just what the media is divulging. I'm sure Auntie M and company didn't help matters.

I would have hit the record button as soon as he said the first word to me.

I would have hit the record button as soon as he said the first word to me.
I had the same thought. Especially after seeing this encouraging open carry incident fully documented on tape. I'm sure there is a thread on this video already, but I was reminded of it when I read this story. Of course, not everyone is that well versed in their local law, but it made me realize how unprepared I am if I needed to offer a calm, well presented legal defense of my rights with actual references.

The article states the disturbance (altercation between legal carrier, his Aunt, his mom, and the police officer) caused alarm. Not his open carry. So if the article is correct, had the officer not put his nose where it doesn't belong, everything would have been fine. He does not have the authority to overide the law. And the officer was the one who caused the disturbance.

It also states that an employee said it was not legal to carry in the restraurant. Don't know about KY's laws, but in my state that would only be true if there was proper signs posted that were ignored, or alcohol was served. So unless the workers said he was not allowed to carry in, then the officer overstepped his authority demanding he cover it up.

The only people who showed poor judgement were the police officer and possibly the carrier's aunt and mom.

Personally, I don't want to draw attention to myself. I don't walk into a public eating establishment shirtless or shoe-less or strutting like the Lone Ranger. I don't want the public to know how much money I have in my wallet or what I wear on my hip.

I'm over joyed OC is legal in some states but, in light of the many tragedies and shooting sprees being reported by the liberal media currently, I'm guessing OC in public at the moment is not such a bright idea?

Here in MS, the establishment has to have signs posted, then even those of us with enhanced carry permits can't carry if we choose to patronize their business.

I conceal carry 99.9% of the time, but I don't feel like I should have to hide my gun like a criminal because some jackasses do bad things with guns.

I hope the entire police department has mandatory retaining on the laws, unpaid on your own time, test at the end of the week, pass or go back through academy.

Personally, I don't want to draw attention to myself. I don't walk into a public eating establishment shirtless or shoe-less or strutting like the Lone Ranger. I don't want the public to know how much money I have in my wallet or what I wear on my hip.

I'm over joyed OC is legal in some states but, in light of the many tragedies and shooting sprees being reported by the liberal media currently, I'm guessing OC in public at the moment is not such a bright idea?

Troll your anti 2a agenda somewhere else please.

Here in MS, the establishment has to have signs posted, then even those of us with enhanced carry permits can't carry if we choose to patronize their business.

Lol enhanced permits...sigh...

It is not LEO's job to enforce company policy. The officer was way out of line and caused a disturbance, the police officer should be charged instead of the citizen. Now, if a member of Arby's management says you can't have that in here, and the citizen refused management's request, then it becomes LEO's job to enforce trespassing laws.

A very good example of this type of inappropriate behavior on the part of the police officer is St. John v. Alamogordo police department and the resulting $21,000 settlement:
Link Removed

Ok, so we just give up our rights just because there are some psycho's that violate the law. It shouldn't mater how you carry, murder is always illegal no matter what you use as a weapon. Driving drunk, and killing somebody is illegal also. So lets conceal them, or get rid of all cars.

Sir, cover up that car your making people nervous.

I'm not trying to make light of any tragedies that have happened recently, and my condolences to anybody affected by these abominations to human kind.
I've OC'd for more than two years now.
I've had a couple of questions, but usually it's more like "is that a brand X?, I have a brand Z." One of the reasons I carry is because of the rare cases of the psycho nut jobs.

Ok, so we just give up our rights just because there are some psycho's that violate the law. It shouldn't mater how you carry, murder is always illegal no matter what you use as a weapon. Driving drunk, and killing somebody is illegal also. So lets conceal them, or get rid of all cars.

Sir, cover up that car your making people nervous.

I'm not trying to make light of any tragedies that have happened recently, and my condolences to anybody affected by these abominations to human kind.
I've OC'd for more than two years now.
I've had a couple of questions, but usually it's more like "is that a brand X?, I have a brand Z." One of the reasons I carry is because of the rare cases of the psycho nut jobs.

I don't recall advocating open carry or concealed carry. I do believe I expressed what "I" do, and how "I" want to be viewed in public. I don't believe I implied anyone should change their legal behavior? If so, that wasn't my intention and I do apologize.

But, you can not escape the fact how the general population it going to view someone open carrying that is not identified as LE, in light of the well publicized tragic events that have unfolded in the last few years. It is "human nature" to view such people with suspicion and apprehension.

So clam down, and take my post as intended, what I do, not what him, they, them, etc. should do. Geez...

But, you can not escape the fact how the general population it going to view someone open carrying that is not identified as LE, in light of the well publicized tragic events that have unfolded in the last few years. It is "human nature" to view such people with suspicion and apprehension.

And the only way to change that "human nature" is to show the public examples of law abiding citizens carrying guns for self protection in every day life. Concealed carry shows the public nothing.

Don't open carry. Use your head if you do. In my opinion, just don't open carry. No open carry, no problems.

Take your crap back to the Brady Campaign website where it comes from. Your head in the sand mentality is exactly how and why we have had our rights "reasonably regulated" away. You put the blame on open carry. B.S. The problem is with the propaganda that the Brady Campaign and others have spread that the gun is an evil object, by itself.... propaganda which has obviously made it's way into your head, causing you to become the mindless follower incapable of original thought.

Don't open carry. Use your head if you do. In my opinion, just don't open carry. No open carry, no problems.

Wow! Too bad there's not a "Don't Like" . I'm tempted to "Like" it just so I can "Unlike" it!

Apparently this guy has no clue.... To him it's "carry like me or don't carry".

Wow! Too bad there's not a "Don't Like" . I'm tempted to "Like" it just so I can "Unlike" it!

Apparently this guy has no clue.... To him it's "carry like me or don't carry".

Otis is one of the resident Trolls, and not a very good one at that. Could also be Trollbee's sock puppet or maybe Kwimby's cousins's sisters Uncles brother... LOL

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back