Maintaing SA at a Redbox Kiosk/ATM

k9ontheway

Improvise-Adapt-Overcome
It seems to be becoming more common for criminals to target people at Redbox kiosks... and for good reason. It's likely your back is turned and you're busy deciding "Which movie would be better?".

I for one, do NOT like giving anyone my back. Ever.

Usually I'm with my wife when we stop for a Redbox. She handles the machine while I stand to one side with my back toward the wall (old habits die hard), keeping an eye on everything while staying discrete.

What can you do to help better your situational awareness when solo (particularly at night)?

Besides keeping my head on a swivel, I always keep a light in my off-hand.

The crappy side of these things is it's perfectly normal for someone to stand a couple feet behind you, patiently waiting their turn.

All I can say is this.... 1.5 seconds to cover 21 feet and gut you with a knife.

These people have your back and are usually less than 6 feet away.

Do the math.

That's another reason why I don't use Redbox anymore. Or let the wifey go return/rent movies and I stand close with my hand near my G19. You just never know what's going to happen these days.

Choose a redbox in well lit areas, preferably indoors, preferably way inside near the check stands.

Plan ahead, go to their website, pre order your movies, or at least know which one you are going to get.

Violent people are all around us, but if you are afraid of even using a Redbox because somebody might stab you, I would suggest never leaving your house.

There is no way to ever fully guarantee your safety. By being alive, you have agreed to die at some point.

If you are carrying a gun, stay vigilant, but relax and just live your life normally.

You can also use your surroundings to identify potential threats like using reflective surfaces such as the screen on the kiosk, shadows in your preferal vision as well as your ears because your senses and brain are your greatest weapon of all. I carry and use all my senses and figure it takes me just as quick to draw and step defensively as it would be for a BG to cover ground. My first weapon will always be my brain but my G23 will put down a threat quickly

Violent people are all around us, but if you are afraid of even using a Redbox because somebody might stab you, I would suggest never leaving your house.

Great advice so far!

DE: I have to respectfully disagree with you here. I don't think there's many of us here that are "afraid" to go out into public because the boogey-man may lurk in the shadows.

I try not to get paranoid but sometimes fear will keep you alive. There's a reason we can perceive fear... it's so we can live to die another day.

I say this because I was scared out of my wits in Afghanistan on numerous occasions and it has changed how I view the world today.

When we first got back, I would get antsy in large crowds (still kind of do, with everything going to **** in the world), trash on the side of the highway would make me nervous for a moment and as an avid hunter and outdoorsman, being in the woods and hearing shots (never incoming, thank god) ring out would make me instinctively want to take cover.

I bring this up because you never know what the person behind you is thinking. We need to remain vigilant and aware of our surroundings without lapsing into paranoia.

As for never leaving the house, if I didn't have to work, I probably wouldn't. I'd spend my time in the woods putting food on the table. That's what brings me joy but I digress.

Side note: I spent a year working in a convenience store along I-95 just north of Fort Bragg, in an area with a rate of crime 14x higher than the national average. This wasn't much of a matter of choice, rather than necessity.

During this year, I lost count of how many times I honestly felt I was going to get killed over someone else's money.

The store one block away was robbed by 6 masked men late one night with (illegally obtained) handguns, career criminals, who entered the store and opened fire as they set foot inside... killing 3 people and seriously wounding 4 more. They made off with less than $300.

They cased our place out and decided to hit a "softer" target. Sadly, 3 innocent men were killed. They bled out before help got there.

This stuff will seriously **** with you. But hey, that's life and **** happens.

You can smell bad intentions from a mile away... but only if you're paying attention.

I like to think I keep the odds in my favor... because I don't know if the guy behind me with a hood on, wearing sunglasses at night, is thinking about testing his fate. But what I do know is he seems out of place and he smells of bad intentions.

If I wasn't paying attention, I could become a target... and I'd rather not take the chance of my wife becoming a widow this early in the game.

My CCW is my "Ace-in-the-hole"... if words and tactics don't stop you from killing me, I know my 230gr JHPs will.

Great advice so far!

DE: I have to respectfully disagree with you here. I don't think there's many of us here that are "afraid" to go out into public because the boogey-man may lurk in the shadows.

I try not to get paranoid but sometimes fear will keep you alive. There's a reason we can perceive fear... it's so we can live to die another day.

I say this because I was scared out of my wits in Afghanistan on numerous occasions and it has changed how I view the world today.

When we first got back, I would get antsy in large crowds (still kind of do, with everything going to **** in the world), trash on the side of the highway would make me nervous for a moment and as an avid hunter and outdoorsman, being in the woods and hearing shots (never incoming, thank god) ring out would make me instinctively want to take cover.

I bring this up because you never know what the person behind you is thinking. We need to remain vigilant and aware of our surroundings without lapsing into paranoia.

As for never leaving the house, if I didn't have to work, I probably wouldn't. I'd spend my time in the woods putting food on the table. That's what brings me joy but I digress.

Side note: I spent a year working in a convenience store along I-95 just north of Fort Bragg, in an area with a rate of crime 14x higher than the national average. This wasn't much of a matter of choice, rather than necessity.

During this year, I lost count of how many times I honestly felt I was going to get killed over someone else's money.

The store one block away was robbed by 6 masked men late one night with (illegally obtained) handguns, career criminals, who entered the store and opened fire as they set foot inside... killing 3 people and seriously wounding 4 more. They made off with less than $300.

They cased our place out and decided to hit a "softer" target. Sadly, 3 innocent men were killed. They bled out before help got there.

This stuff will seriously **** with you. But hey, that's life and **** happens.

You can smell bad intentions from a mile away... but only if you're paying attention.

I like to think I keep the odds in my favor... because I don't know if the guy behind me with a hood on, wearing sunglasses at night, is thinking about testing his fate. But what I do know is he seems out of place and he smells of bad intentions.

If I wasn't paying attention, I could become a target... and I'd rather not take the chance of my wife becoming a widow this early in the game.

My CCW is my "Ace-in-the-hole"... if words and tactics don't stop you from killing me, I know my 230gr JHPs will.

I actually agree with you. Fear does keep you alive, and it's always good to remain vigilant and aware of your surroundings, etc.

But living your life in fear comes at a cost. I just choose to stay alert but also relaxed. Fear does have a purpose, just like stress. A little bit of stress actually helps people, but too much stress kills people. Fear is along those same lines. So in reference to your thread, the level of fear you expressed about using ATMs or a Redbox seemed excessive to me. But whatever works for you is what you should do. Im just giving you my input.

I actually agree with you. Fear does keep you alive, and it's always good to remain vigilant and aware of your surroundings, etc.

But living your life in fear comes at a cost. I just choose to stay alert but also relaxed. Fear does have a purpose, just like stress. A little bit of stress actually helps people, but too much stress kills people. Fear is along those same lines. So in reference to your thread, the level of fear you expressed about using ATMs or a Redbox seemed excessive to me. But whatever works for you is what you should do. Im just giving you my input.

Understood, well said. Your reference to stress hit the nail on the head.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back