CLICK HERE TO WIN A FREE GUN

Magazine modification

obiwankabaldi

I live in NY and the capacity law says 10 rounds or less. Can I take a 12 round magazine for my weapon and permanently modify it to hold only 10 rounds and be legal? Weld spacer inside magazine or such.

I live in NY and the capacity law says 10 rounds or less. Can I take a 12 round magazine for my weapon and permanently modify it to hold only 10 rounds and be legal? Weld spacer inside magazine or such.

I would strongly recommend you check with a competent attorney in your area. Here in PRHI, pistol magazine capacity is limited to 10 rounds. There are a few folks on island who are able to modify the magazines so they're not "readily restorable" as per Hawaii law.

gf

I would guess no. I think you'll find to be legal you'll have to use factory parts. Perhaps if it's modified in accordance with the law as GF suggested, but then you could probably buy a 10 round mag cheaper and keep the 12 for the upcoming civil war. That rule sucks. I have a 30 round mag for my Glock.

Last edited:
I honestly would like to sit down with law makers and ask why they feel the need to restrict to only 10 rounds. Do then not feel rounds 11+ are the only ones capable of doing any harm? I feel we should be able to own what we would like for our firearms. Just my honest opinion.

I think in those states, it is illegal to possess a high cap mag, regardless of how many rounds are loaded.

I think in those states, it is illegal to possess a high cap mag, regardless of how many rounds are loaded.

Here in PRHI, possession of a "hi-cap" mag is a misdemeanor. Inserting it into a firearm (loaded or otherwise) is a felony.

Know your local laws and be informed of what "is" and what "isn't" allowed. Doing so could mean the difference between keeping and losing your RKBA.

gf

Email