Magazine modification

obiwankabaldi

I live in NY and the capacity law says 10 rounds or less. Can I take a 12 round magazine for my weapon and permanently modify it to hold only 10 rounds and be legal? Weld spacer inside magazine or such.

I live in NY and the capacity law says 10 rounds or less. Can I take a 12 round magazine for my weapon and permanently modify it to hold only 10 rounds and be legal? Weld spacer inside magazine or such.

I would strongly recommend you check with a competent attorney in your area. Here in PRHI, pistol magazine capacity is limited to 10 rounds. There are a few folks on island who are able to modify the magazines so they're not "readily restorable" as per Hawaii law.

gf

I would guess no. I think you'll find to be legal you'll have to use factory parts. Perhaps if it's modified in accordance with the law as GF suggested, but then you could probably buy a 10 round mag cheaper and keep the 12 for the upcoming civil war. That rule sucks. I have a 30 round mag for my Glock.

Last edited:
I honestly would like to sit down with law makers and ask why they feel the need to restrict to only 10 rounds. Do then not feel rounds 11+ are the only ones capable of doing any harm? I feel we should be able to own what we would like for our firearms. Just my honest opinion.

I think in those states, it is illegal to possess a high cap mag, regardless of how many rounds are loaded.

I think in those states, it is illegal to possess a high cap mag, regardless of how many rounds are loaded.

Here in PRHI, possession of a "hi-cap" mag is a misdemeanor. Inserting it into a firearm (loaded or otherwise) is a felony.

Know your local laws and be informed of what "is" and what "isn't" allowed. Doing so could mean the difference between keeping and losing your RKBA.

gf

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back