Made my first kydex holster! Want opinions...

TCB2Country

I was looking for a new holster and ran across a couple of kydex threads, then decided to explore making my own and for my first I made one for my dad who was looking for an OWB holster. It's not perfect and there are some things I'm doing different for mine but I feel like it turned out pretty good for my first attempt. What do you guys think? Don't hold it against him that he's and Alabama fan, he can't help it lol.Link RemovedLink Removed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very good first holster. I have a few questions:

1. How do you heat your kydex?
2. How hot do you heat the kydex?

3. How do you press or vacuum?

4. What thickness are you using?

5. What did you use to cut the A out?

I don't quite understand the circular shape, but if it works then it works.

Good job.

Sent from my HTCONE using USA Carry mobile app

I heated it with a household oven to about 325-350* for this one I used a foam press that I made but I also made a vacuum mold that I haven't used yet. Kydex is .080" and I cut the A out with a dremel prior to heating and forming. It turned out more round mainly due to how close I put the eyelets to the firearm pocket itself and just decided to trim as close as possible and round the edges as much as possible so there are no sharp edges

And because it is three layers standard eyelets aren't long enough, found that out the hard way

Yeah three layers can be a pain. The way I do a three layer now is to have the outer two layers 0.060".

You did a good job on the A with a dremel!

When you say the rivets were close to the firearm pocket...did you put the rivets in before heating the kydex?

No, after forming I ended up drilling my holes a little closer to the pocket than I would've liked making the whole thing more narrow and giving it that round look

Looks like you did a great job, I would make the back a little higher to cover the safety on your 1911 it will be much more comfortable.

I can't tell in the picture, but do you cover your ejection port when you mold?

It's much easier to adjust retention when the only point of retention is in the trigger guard.

I do cover the ejection port simply because I like the look, I do however either tape or putty the ejection port during molding so that it doesn't end up as a point of retention.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back