M855 Ammo Ban proposal dead, for now.

ATF admits: Officials still considering ammo ban, looking at ‘how we do this rationally’

Link Removed

SBR or Pistol

Two questions.
1. where exactly does one go to comment on the ATF ammo ban?

2. What defines a firearm as a pistol? The whole basis for this ban seems to center around the so called AR pistol which around here is referred to as SBR or short barreled rifle.

2. What defines a firearm as a pistol? The whole basis for this ban seems to center around the so called AR pistol which around here is referred to as SBR or short barreled rifle.

18 USC 921:
https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/921
(29) The term “handgun” means—
(A) a firearm which has a short stock and is designed to be held and fired by the use of a single hand; and
(B) any combination of parts from which a firearm described in subparagraph (A) can be assembled.

This is an AR style handgun:

Pistol6.jpg

This is an SBR:

Link Removed

The whole "armor piercing" ammunition ban needs to be repealed because there is a pistol available to shoot every rifle caliber.

Thank you for the link. I am aware of the difference in the two and the difference to me is nothing more than a butt stock vs buffer tube. I have never fired or even held an AR pistol but would guess with a fully loaded magazine inserted it is likely front end heavy and I would likely use a two handed grip. However I can see from the other side the design probably was not intended as a one handed shooter but certainly could be as could be the AR rifle. I was not aware of the legal ramifications so this is good information to know, so again thank you for sharing.
AR-15: Pistol vs SBR ? Stay The Course Industries

The funny thing about BATFE saying a handgun is designed to be fired with one hand, but yet just about every law enforcement training school will teach two handed shooting.

Howdy,

They are either armor piercing or they are not. They simple fact that they have changed their minds just goes to show you how utterly stupid this branch of government is......I know they are not ap rounds for the record.

Sent from my SM-N900V using USA Carry mobile app

Yeah, it's kinda hard to use the words "armor piercing " and 5.56 NATO in the same paragraph.

I don't understand all the hype over the M855 ammo especially as a civilian. If I need to shoot thought metal any thicker than 1/8" thick I'm going to use something bigger and more powerful than a .223/5.56 round. I have about 50 .243 Win rounds loaded with a 85gr FMJ bullet that will shoot thought things that the M855 round will only dent and bounce off not to mention about 190 rounds of .30-06 black tip loads that I have.

Heck, I have a Ruger Super RedHawk .454 Casull with Win. Supreme 250gr Nosler Partition that will shot though things that M855 will only dent and bounce off.

For a SD/HD/hunting load in my CAR-15 I prefer a handloaded 75gr BTHP. It will penetrate almost anything a M855 will and still expand on soft targets.

Paul

And today 4 dems submitted legislation to do what the ATF could not - ban green tip ammo. FOP says the ammo doesn't pose a threat to officers, Engel continues to argue otherwise.

Link Removed

Howdy,

Yeah, it's kinda hard to use the words "armor piercing " and 5.56 NATO in the same paragraph.

I don't understand all the hype over the M855 ammo especially as a civilian. If I need to shoot thought metal any thicker than 1/8" thick I'm going to use something bigger and more powerful than a .223/5.56 round. I have about 50 .243 Win rounds loaded with a 85gr FMJ bullet that will shoot thought things that the M855 round will only dent and bounce off not to mention about 190 rounds of .30-06 black tip loads that I have.

Heck, I have a Ruger Super RedHawk .454 Casull with Win. Supreme 250gr Nosler Partition that will shot though things that M855 will only dent and bounce off.

For a SD/HD/hunting load in my CAR-15 I prefer a handloaded 75gr BTHP. It will penetrate almost anything a M855 will and still expand on soft targets.

Paul

And this is why I don't have you on Ignore. Once in a while you get things right (feeling ok?). But if you only have 190 rounds of .30-06 black tip you are 10 rounds short of a full can. And if you really want to punch thru steel, there is always the silver tipped version of the military .30-06. :biggrin:. But those when available to the public can run $3.50 each.

Living proof you don't have to be smart to be a senator. This came in my email yesterday:
Thank you for getting in touch with me regarding a recently proposed framework from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (BATFE) concerning armor-piercing ammunition.
BATFE, working in conjunction with the Department of Justice (DOJ), proposed a framework to enforce current law regarding ammunition. Gun and ammunition laws were amended in 1986 through the Law Enforcement Officers Protection Act, which prohibited of the manufacture, import, and distribution of armor-piercing ammunition that may be used in a handgun. This law was passed with the purpose of protecting law enforcement officers. The law has an exception for ammunition that is primarily intended for sporting purposes. On February 13, 2015, BATFE published a framework outlining how they will determine whether certain ammunition or projectiles are primarily for sporting purposes.
Some Ohioans have expressed concerns that the recent BATFE framework would limit access to popular ammunition used for AR-15 rifles. The February 2015 proposed framework would treat certain types of 5.56-by-45-millimeter ammunition as armor-piercing ammunition. This ammunition, which was once used exclusively for rifles, can now be used in pistols and handguns. These types of bullets, if used in a pistol or handgun, could put law enforcement that rely on body armor in serious danger and led the BATFE to determine that the ammunition is no longer intended for sporting purposes and no longer exempt from the current law. This notice was provided for public comment until March 16, 2016. Comment may be made by emailing [email protected].
It is imperative that we take steps ensure the safety of our law enforcement officers. The shocking numbers of public shootings throughout the country in recent years, demands that we engage in a serious national discussion about gun violence, not just in terms of weapons and bullets, but also including mental health access, public safety officers, and our responsibility both as individuals and a society.
Should any legislation concerning ammunition come before the Senate for a vote, I will keep your thoughts in mind.
Thank you again for getting in touch with me.
..........................................................Sincerely,
..........................................................Sherrod Brown
..........................................................United States Senator
Note that he provides me with an address where I can submit comments. Well, provided I'm able to travel back in time of course.

Living proof you don't have to be smart to be a senator. This came in my email yesterday:
Note that he provides me with an address where I can submit comments. Well, provided I'm able to travel back in time of course.
I feel sorry for you having him for a Senator. He is also pro mag limits. He voted yes in April 2013. In other words, he'll vote for every anti-gun bill that comes in front of him while thinking "got you".

Ya for now.. start buying it by the case and load up boys

Sent from my SCH-I545 using USA Carry mobile app

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back